• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (Part 7)

huiray

Thanks Okanagancook.  This was my first time using the popover pans too.  I got them yesterday along with a Breville Smart oven as presents to myself.   I found a lot of useful information about Yorkshire pudding here:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/12/food-lab-yorkshire-pudding-popover-best-method-science.html

I used a teaspoon of roast drippings in the pan then filled them about 1/3 full of batter.  The article says you get your best rise if the batter sits in the fridge overnight.  I didn't get the pans hot like I should have though.  The article said it wasn't as important with thin pans like these but it is with heavy cast iron pans that you could also use.

• Like 3

Nice meals, everyone.

------------------

Today we had a massive pig's shoulder and beef roll. Even the beef roll was big. The restaurant was fully booked in advance. We booked the very last seats yesterday.

WQpRXHn.jpg

jIYgjPv.jpg

Recent dinners, at my lodging.

qDrr9Dq.jpg

Schufpnudeln

weeHeE8.jpg

• Like 10

Christmas Extravaganza

Lunch

041.jpg

Smoked turkey salad with grapes and candied pecans and cranberry vinaigrette

032.jpg

Blueberry Crumble

039.jpg

Roast veg for afternoon snacking during Monopoly game. Two types of beets...sprouts...peppers...fingerling potatoes with pimenton (yellow beets, sprouts and potatoes were in a dead heat for favorite)

Salmon log too (not shown)

048.jpg

Dinner

054.jpg

Sauteed mushrooms

058.jpg

Apple juice braised red cabbage with allspice060.jpg

Greens

064.jpg

Potatoes au gratin

072.jpg

SV filet topped wit soy/red wine braised onions

069.jpg

Sticky toffee pudding with salted caramel sauce

077.jpg

• Like 22

Christmas Day lunch in Australia, it's fairly typical to celebrate at lunchtime. 

Roast turkey with stuffing, baked ham, prawns with tartare sauce,  potato bake, salad with mango and avocados, coleslaw and artisan bread. Delicious.

image.jpeg.ed1385c3ee0bca9e51111aa96894b

the spread.

image.jpeg

Afterwards, pavlova, trifle, ice cream and fruit cake, plus a nutty guest.

image.jpeg.200a851acf9c2f6ac4922b4860661

Thats the Pacific Ocean out there...

• Like 15

By long standing family tradition, Boxing Day dinner is curry. As a kid, that would be turkey or, more likely, chicken but tonight I made a prawn curry. Much better.

It's a hybrid curry in that I used Indian spicing but Thai coconut milk.

bdpc.jpg.3b8395f8e8ec33da498b3fcf4cd783c

• Like 14

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Thanks for the link Norm.  A good read.  We clearly filled our cups too much, I think they were about 2/3 full.  Need to make half the batter volume for that six cup popover pan.

I have "The Great Book of Yorkshire Pudding" by Elaine Lemm.  Here is her video on YP:  http://foodanddrink.yorkshirepost.co.uk/recipes/perfect-yorkshire-puddings/

She really stresses resting the batter but now I think I will make it the night before and then take it out an hour before baking.  That was interesting about the flavour development of an overnight batter. I use beef fat by the way.

(In her little book she has ideas for using the puddings, like the onion filled ones mentioned over at Serious Eats.  She also mentions putting Irish Stew or chilli in the cups.)

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

Thanks Okanagancook.  This was my first time using the popover pans too.  I got them yesterday along with a Breville Smart oven as presents to myself.   I found a lot of useful information about Yorkshire pudding here:

You will love the BSO, Norm. I just wish it was about 3 inches wider.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Shelby said:

Stunning Gfweb, stunning.  I LOVE your dining area.  And that clock.  Just....wow. 

Took the words right off my keypad Shelby.  The food looked amazing too.

We are all so fortunate to be able put on such wonderful Christmas meals.

• Like 4

Lovely dinners, all -- @Norm Matthews those popovers are things of beauty, and @scamhi, I would have made latkes topped with caviar for breakfast this morning but for having used all the potatoes yesterday in potato salad! Gorgeous claws, too. @Shelby, the fishes look marvelous; so glad you're enjoying the oysters.

We had a rather simple dinner oriented toward the three preschoolers around which the day revolved -- ham, turkey, mac and cheese, asparagus, broccoli, potato salad, deviled eggs, and a big tossed salad. I think I enjoyed it about as much as the big traditional fare. Many leftovers for today!

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I had a lot of leftover compressed pineapple so I made Thai-style Fried Rice, which I haven't made in years.  It was basamati rice, chicken thighs, green onion, snow peas, carrots, peanuts, compressed pineapple, golden raisins and flavored with garlic, ginger, soy sauce, fish sauce, sugar, and sriracha.

thai-fried-rice.jpg.c72bd1b8c519ed490c8b

• Like 11

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

3 hours ago, mgaretz said:

I had a lot of leftover compressed pineapple so I made Thai-style Fried Rice, which I haven't made in years.  It was basamati rice, chicken thighs, green onion, snow peas, carrots, peanuts, compressed pineapple, golden raisins and flavored with garlic, ginger, soy sauce, fish sauce, sugar, and sriracha.

thai-fried-rice.jpg

Looks nice.  I imagine, though, that you know that Thai fried rice does not need pineapple for it to be "Thai fried rice". What you made is more-or-less khao op sapparot, a fancy version (e.g. with those raisins added in) of Thai Pineapple Fried Rice (khao phat sapparot) which is itself a subset of "Thai Fried Rice".  FWIW some purists say that only fish sauce (no soy sauce) is to be used otherwise it becomes more like Chinese fried rice - but one cooks and eats according to one's desires. :-) :-D

• Like 1

OKay...so, I have the appetizer, and the dessert. Pinecone Cheese"ball", and this particular dessert was a devil's food cake with a dark chocolate mint ganache filling, frosted with Peppermint buttercream. Decorations were a bunch of winterwonderland goodies for my niece, nephews, and youngest daughter.  Let me just say, Sixlets make awesome ornaments and creature's noses.

The missing pics include the extra- long dinnertable with the homegrown brined turkey, garlic mashies, gravy, green bean cassarole, homegrown carrots in brown sugar/cinnamon; Roasted Blue Hubbard squash cubed with olive oil and herbs; homemade applesauce & cranberry sauce, fresh baked rolls, green salad, raspberry streudel, pumpkin pie, and a large bottle of wine my FIL downed almost single-handedly.  He already came without a filter; the wine just made the evening's conversation far more colorful than usual. ;)

dec 25 2015 (1 of 1)-11.jpg

dec 25 2015 (1 of 1)-13.jpg

• Like 16

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

Thank you, Shelby!  Here is the recipe:  http://allrecipes.com/recipe/240702/pine-cone-cheese-ball/?internalSource=staff%20pick&referringId=76&referringContentType=recipe%20hub

I tweaked it a little. Added some bleu cheese crumbles and a few pine nuts to the mixture.  The addition of the Cayenne pepper is wonderful! 

The cake was fun. I added lots of dark chocolate scraps (from the workshop) right into the cake batter. The frosting was KAF's vanilla buttercream mix, with a few drops of peppermint oil. Decadent on the inside; goofy & playful on the outside.

My father-in-law....is a hoot. He's a 100% Finlander. Worked in steel plants for 50 years +. He's probably as colorful (and lovable) as they come! 

• Like 5

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

Tonight's dinner was kind of a summer meal since the weather has been so darn warm.  Fried green tomatoes, boiled shrimp and remoulade along with fried oysters and catfish.  Dessert was leftover from Christmas -brandy eggnog panna cotta.

rsP1040649.jpg

rsP1040652.jpg

• Like 13

5 hours ago, huiray said:

Looks nice.  I imagine, though, that you know that Thai fried rice does not need pineapple for it to be "Thai fried rice". What you made is more-or-less khao op sapparot, a fancy version (e.g. with those raisins added in) of Thai Pineapple Fried Rice (khao phat sapparot) which is itself a subset of "Thai Fried Rice".  FWIW some purists say that only fish sauce (no soy sauce) is to be used otherwise it becomes more like Chinese fried rice - but one cooks and eats according to one's desires. :-) :-D

Yes I know.  The dish it's modeled after is from a local Thai restaurant and they just call it Thai Fried Rice.  I added the "Thai-style" to imply that liberties had been taken!

• Like 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Fish, loofah & woodear fungus.

DSCN7590a_800.jpg.4da633685e48b25a80c465

Red snapper fillet, cut into slices, marinated w/ good Shaohsing wine, salt, ground white pepper. Drained, tossed w/ corn starch, fresh ground white pepper, a wee bit salt. Fried in hot oil/hot pan on both sides till golden, reserve.

Angled luffa (Luffa acutangula; 絲瓜 (si1 gwaa1) a.k.a. 勝瓜 (sing3 gwaa1)) de-ridged and cut into slices, dried wood-ear fungus rehydrated & trimmed. Chopped smashed garlic, sliced ginger, hot oil, hot pan; luffa & fungus added in, stir-fried; a mixture of {double-fermented soy sauce, bit of dark soy sauce, oyster sauce, good Shaohsing wine, some hon-mirin [Takara], corn starch slurried in} added in and stuff stirred around; the reserved fried fish slices added in and everything gently folded in.  Served, dressed w/ coriander leaves.

On the way there.

DSCN7586-87-comb_800.jpg.a90b18702604c7d

Harm Choy Tong, relatively simple version. (Pickled mustard soup w/ chicken & stuff)

DSCN7594b_800.jpg.9c1c2cf55bc71e5d2af21f

Pickled mustard (the vegetable used is large-leaved "kai choy" in the unpickled form), soaked & trimmed. Water, chopped-up chicken thighs, the trimmed soaked mustard, a few canned skinned whole tomatoes [Red Gold] roughly cut into quarters, sliced ginger, sea salt, rice vinegar, bit of rice bran oil, simmer. Chunked soft tofu added near the end, seasoning adjusted. Total cooking time about 1+ hour.

Eaten w/ white rice.

DSCN7599a_800.jpg.43fd6d0e1b70fb50e474ff

• Like 10