• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate fountain

Mette

Happy holidays to all!

I have been given a home chocolate fountain for Christmas (I know, it is almost retro).The make is C3 - probably means nothing. In the booklet it suggests thinning the chocolate with oil (10-20% by weight), but I cringe at the thought. I'd like to thin it with something else that will

1. give a good flavour to the chocolate
  2. allow me to reuse the chocolate for other applications, such as baking - i know it may have bits in it and that it has sat out, but I'm not too worried.

Any suggestions?

Also favourites for dipping?

It is just for home use and fun with guests, so I don't have to worry about catering hygiene standards.

Thanks so much

From what I remember of the chocolate fountains, the oil was required to allow the chocolate to flow (because of continual agitation); you might try to use a flavored oil (hazelnut or almond) if you wanted to add some flavor but I don't think it would be a strong flavor.  I knew a caterer who had a fountain, she just used vegetable oil.  And as I recall, the manufacturer tried to imply that only "their" brand of chocolate would work in order to get more $ from people!

Edited by JeanneCake
removed suggestion for coconut oil because it is solid at rm temp (log)

I had to set one up for a business partner a while ago.  I wasn't about to use veggie oil, so I opted for the liquid coconut oil.  Worked beautifully. I can't remember what chocolate we used exactly---might have used some Guittard chips that were supplied by the business partner.  (I know it wasn't what came with the machine.) 

I like the idea of the hazelnut oil.  =)    Mmmmmmm.

What you offer for dipping might depend on your guests.  These are some things I've used and also some I've just observed being used for dipping:  Strawberries, Frozen banana sections (2-3 inch long), Marshmellows, Candied orange peels, graham cracker, Nutter butter cookies, Milano cookies, Pretzel rods, candied pineapple sections, tart apple wedges (like Grannie Smith),  Most berries are too small, but if you offer a kabob skewer, guests can make an assortment of fruit kabobs/marshmellows to dip, so small berries- like raspberries would work also.

HTH.

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

I was thinking hazelnut oil too - but the coconut oil would allow you to make meltaways with the leftover! Actually the hazelnut oil probably would as well.