• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pomati chocolate machines; show me your chocolate machine

pastrygirl

Is anyone here familiar with Pomati chocolate machines?  Kerekes has this tabletop model http://www.bakedeco.com/detail.asp?id=32951 only 5kg but could be a good step up from hand tempering as I grow my company.  They also have larger floor models. 

Alternately, if there is anyone near Seattle, Portland OR, or Vancouver BC who would be willing to show me your chocolate kitchen and tempering machine, I'd love to come for a visit!

Tomric used to carry that one - tried to sell it off inexpensively as I recall because they had a lot of problems with it - can't recall the details however.

4 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Tomric used to carry that one - tried to sell it off inexpensively as I recall because they had a lot of problems with it - can't recall the details however.

Thanks, good to know.  But the Selmis are generally reliable?  I'm also debating whether to go big and get a machine to "grow into", but if I go big I'll need to have a retail space first.

1 hour ago, Edward J said:

I've got 3 of the D&R melters, two are 20kg size and one 10 kg size, and one wheel.  I go through 60-70 kgs couverture per month, mostly bars.  I'm in Vancouver, B.C.

So you do all your tempering by hand?  I feel like it slows me down so much!

Not really, before I go home, I  turn up the melters to 45,  when I come in the mornings I turn them down to 35-ish, do something for twenty minutes, come back, toss in a few handfulls of pellets, give it a stir , do something for five minutes, dip a piece of paper in each melter for a probe, and see where I'm at.  I have the wheel in the dark, so this almost always tempers quicker than the milk or white.  After a while this just becomes second nature.

• Like 1