• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot at Work - A Little Help Please

Kerry Beal

I love love love stifado.  And then after that I love it some more.

That's my new suggestion.

Stifado.

• Like 1

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

5 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Here's the turkey meat cooked in a bit of chicken stock - wasn't at all impressed with the flavour so didn't use it in the soup.

I've decided I am not a fan of pressure-cooked or slow-cooked poultry, except in a few cases. it's so much better roasted, steam-roasted, SV'ed, stir-fried, grilled, etc. And it's still fine in a chicken or turkey soup (maybe made with PC or SC), but only using bits that have originally been cooked by another method. But maybe that's just me. And Shelby can combine frying and pressure-cooking and get terrific results. 

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Jaymes said:

I love love love stifado.  And then after that I love it some more.

Do you still use the same basic recipe, @Jaymes? Basic stewing beef = chuck? Any other suggestions or just keep it simple? 

14 hours ago, FauxPas said:

Do you still use the same basic recipe, @Jaymes? Basic stewing beef = chuck? Any other suggestions or just keep it simple? 

I do still use that same basic recipe.  Got it so many years ago and am still pretty happy with it.  I will use chuck, but it's fatty, so tend to go for a leaner cut if I'm going to be serving the stew that night.  If I'm making it ahead, and it has time to sit in the fridge and let the fat congeal so that I can remove it easily, I'll go with chuck.

But I made this a lot in the days when I had a big family to feed so I'd often just use whatever beef was on sale. 

Edited by Jaymes (log)
  • Like 1

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 2 weeks later...

Stifado on the list!

Today I decided to make a variation of the Chicken, Apple and Butternut Stew from Cooking Light that Anna N made in her IP.

I used whole thighs rather than boneless skinless, apple juice instead of cider cause that's all I had.  Browned the thighs, added stock and apple juice, 6 minutes with quick release, threw in the onion, butternut, parsnips and apple and gave it another 5 minutes with delayed quick release. Veg were a bit soft - next time a few minutes less. 

IMG_1733.jpg.81e2590c6f06b11e0d38d03d210 

• Like 9

Has anyone noticed that you've been cooking at work, and come around to beg for some? (Once, I brought some frozen cookie dough balls in to work, so I could put them in the toaster oven and have fresh-baked cookies at lunch. Boy, did that day bring out my "friends"!)

• Like 5

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

How about a traditional New England boiled dinner?  Corned beef, cabbage, carrots, turnips, potatoes... 

Sandwiches the next day.

Here's Emeril's recipe.  Looks pretty good.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/new-england-boiled-dinner-recipe.html

New England boiled dinner it is!

Crazy day at work - managed a couple of minutes to pop the corned beef into the Instant Pot.

IMG_1751.jpg.6c8fc0128f75fa50ecca5b73a5a

Nice chunk of corned brisket, can of guinness, bit of additional water - 50 minutes, slow release.

Managed another couple of minutes to chop up the veg I'd brought (forgot to take a picture) - on top of steamer basket - 4 minutes.

IMG_1753.jpg.d41c4ea99f8731085889870f5db

Topped with horseradish in sour cream.

• Like 11

Kerry, that looks so so so good.  I'll bet the aroma of that cooking spoke to a great many of your colleagues.

When I was a kid, we lived in Germany.  Many fond memories but one of the strongest was the aroma coming from the kitchen.  We had a cook, Maria, who came in every day and, in those long, cold, dark winters, that aroma often originated from a one-pot meal bubbling and simmering in the oven.

A favorite of mine then, and still today, is Rouladen, the classic rolled-meat dish. 

I'm sure you either know all about it, or could easily find a recipe on your own but, just in case there are others here that have never heard of it, here's a typical recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/melissa-darabian/almost-my-grandmas-rouladen-recipe.html

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

24 hour shift on Saturday - took along some lamb shanks.

DSCN6265.jpg.6eeaf4c5758299cfdbfb44c4ec4

Well salted and peppered.

DSCN6266.jpg.392342ae0e867eaa8caf9fcd671

DSCN6268.jpg.2ad3bb61d5722430a9566d7b554

Browned well and a little bit of tomato paste browned for a bit of umami - added some chicken stock I had in the freezer at work. 45 minutes, natural release.

DSCN6270.jpg.e4b3eb8e966fc8e56fbff6c6b2c

Potatoes and onions.

DSCN6271.jpg.6f8cbed25e906caa6ab255717ec

Added back in the shanks - 3 minutes with quick release.

DSCN6273.jpg.cf6c39b7872e70832775ca96a5f

• Like 12

27 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

24 hour shift on Saturday -

Ouch... the food looks really tasty though.

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

IMG_1948.jpg

Brought along the carcass of a rotisserie chicken and a few rather sad veggies from the crisper. Some RG Christmas limas cooked for 25 minutes first. A very satisfactory lunch!

• Like 9

• 4 weeks later...

Another 24 hour shift - stopped in the Sobey's in Dunnville before work this am to see what I could find.

There were pork breast bones - very inexpensively 

IMG_2003.jpg

Quick brown in the IP - then on the rack above some chicken broth for 35 minutes.

IMG_2006.jpg

IMG_2007.jpg

Potatoes and carrots cost more than the meat. 4 minutes for them - was to have been quick release - however man meets table saw, table saw wins meant I was a little late getting back so the veg were a bit softer than I'd like. 

IMG_2008.jpg

Some hoisin and kabli sauce and a big of a saute.

IMG_2009.jpg

Dinner is served.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 7

Wow

I wonder what ""  pork breast bones ""  is anatomically das le Pig

I note they were butterflied, at lease some of them

I do see some 'flanked' cut ribs on the top tranche

looks so good.

Sternum split in half as far as I can tell - so there is bone, attached cartilage and a fair bit of meaty goodness. Pretty good deal for around 50¢ a piece.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Sternum split in half as far as I can tell - so there is bone, attached cartilage and a fair bit of meaty goodness. Pretty good deal for around 50¢ a piece.

When I read the first couple of words I thought you were referring to the man who met saw.  My first reaction was "wow!".

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ElsieD said:

When I read the first couple of words I thought you were referring to the man who met saw.  My first reaction was "wow!".

My third sutures of the day were food related - fellow was making an outdoor kitchen and he needed to make a hole in a knife handle so he could hang it from a throng - he applied the drill to the knife handle and when the bit hit the tang it caused the whole knife to spin 360 degrees. Unfortunately his left 5th finger was in the path of the spinning knife. 

5 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

My third sutures of the day were food related -. 

Wish I had seen this after dinner rather than before.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Yes, it takes a very special kind of person to work in healthcare everyday and hold up to it. Aren't we all glad that they are there when we need them, though?

Beautiful lunch, and great score on the breast bones, Kerry. They would make a great addition to a pot of beans, it looks like. I would have wanted to buy some for the freezer.

> ^ . . ^ <

6 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

My third sutures of the day were food related - fellow was making an outdoor kitchen and he needed to make a hole in a knife handle so he could hang it from a throng - he applied the drill to the knife handle and when the bit hit the tang it caused the whole knife to spin 360 degrees. Unfortunately his left 5th finger was in the path of the spinning knife. 

I hope you encouraged him to join eG and post in the 'I will never again ...' topic.

• Like 3

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Moral of the story seems to be ... if you are going to devote a lot of time and money to making an outdoor kitchen, make the extra effort (and spend a couple of extra dollars) to go to Walmart and buy a barbeque knife/set which already has a hole drilled in the end for hanging. Or at least use your noggin to realize that you need to use a cheap knife without a tang that extends to the end of the handle. Or use a vice to hold it steady - and a metal bit on the drill. Hope he enjoys his first steak though.

Your dinner looks delicious however, Kerry. :)

Edited by Deryn (log)
  • Like 2