• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot at Work - A Little Help Please

Kerry Beal

No reason it couldn't work. If you google huevos rancheros in the slow cooker there are lots of recipes.  Why even Oprah has a recipe. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

No reason it couldn't work. If you google huevos rancheros in the slow cooker there are lots of recipes.  Why even Oprah has a recipe. 

I'll definitely have to do that, because this entire concept is completely new to me.  My huevos rancheros start with a crispy corn tortilla, topped with some beans (either pot beans or refried), a freshly-fried egg, a ladle of salsa, and maybe a sprinkle of cheese.  Whole thing never takes me more than five minutes.  The runny egg yolk is pretty important. As is the crispy tortilla.

Have no idea how one could do either of those things in a slow cooker.

I am going to have to see what Oprah has to say about it.  Never really thought of her as a Mexican cook, but, you never know.  I'm sure curious.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I'd make huevos rancheros similar to Jaymes, with or without beans, with a bit of queso fresco on top of the salsa. Oprah's version seems like a baked omelette or a casserole, though huevos rancheros is probably the inspiration.

Eggs in Purgatory would work in a slow cooker, I think.  

18 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

My suspicion is that mine will be a bastardized version.

And wouldn't shakshuka work?

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Steamed artichokes. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I'm a huge fan of artichokes - I've used my stove top pressure cooker for them most recently.

I too usually employ the pressure cooker.  Any idea why The Good Cook (and thus presumably Richard Olney) say not to steam?

For decades I took the advice and boiled in "stainless steel, enameled cast iron or tin-lined copper".  But artichokes are so hard to get tender that way.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

IMG_1567.jpg.bb31c4fb598641e918cd6873816

Sautéed some chorizo.

IMG_1569.jpg.436d3cab4f40f98722a0229ab34

Added some salsa.

IMG_1570.jpg.0b5a4061b2c0fbd6fd4e5330ec1

Eggs.

IMG_1571.jpg.ef1b484e9a368dd448b04ddfd7b

A couple of minutes more.

IMG_1574.jpg.3f81718c1fae22c20ef5d767538

IMG_1575.jpg.b970385418ca50bc2518626a68e

Couple of low carb flour tortillas from Trader Joes with a bit of cheese in nuke.

• Like 11

So I dropped the bottle of sauerkraut on the kitchen floor the other day and broke it - so replaced it with another bottle of Bavarian Style - awfully sweet I found. 

Browned the chops, sautéed the caraway seed in the remaining oil, heated up the sauerkraut, placed chops on top and gave them 18 minutes high pressure.  

IMG_1576.jpg.9b47d3e9008208db8d909f3f47f

IMG_1577.jpg.79d22c2dac03d015e0eb6b0da6c

• Like 9

I was happy with the meals I made yesterday - now starting to plan for my next 24 hour shift on the 2nd. 

I'm pretty sure I have a couple of small lamb shanks in the downstairs freezer so I think that will make one of my meals. Was thinking just onion, a bit of chicken stock - and cooking for about 60 minutes. 

Perhaps soup for the other meal - I'll have to dig in the fridge and see what's there. Thought I might pick up an inexpensive immersion blender from a thrift store to cream soups in situ if that's what they call for.

• Like 2

I just made some tortilla soup from Cook's illustrated.  It was awesome and very easy for a Cook's recipe.  You do have to make your own tortilla strips in the oven, although I suppose you could get away with using ready made chips.  

• Like 1

to feed the EER Crowd :

get some [ed.: Oxymoron coming} good quality HotDogs, the kind w 'snap'  a couple of VacBags.

enough WhiteBread buns to cover the above

simmer until just warm, they usually are precooked.  switch to 'warm'

place the Buns in a steamer basket above the water.  loosely cover

have plenty of YellowMustard, or Dijon.  Plenty of chopped red Onion.  this completes the feast.

NB:  w the chopped onions, no one is going to bother anybody with MakeWork.

568146685a068_surprised.gif.3077fc233112

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2015 at 4:48 PM, Kerry Beal said:

Dropped the bottle of sauerkraut on the kitchen floor the other day and broke it - so replaced it with another bottle of Bavarian Style - awfully sweet I found. 

Well, yes, it is sweeter than "regular."  I don't know what brand you bought and maybe it's sweeter than the brands I buy, but perhaps my family and I just like it sweeter than you do.  Sorry.  But, hey, next time you'll know, and your kraut & chops meal looks terrific, so not complete waste, right?

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Brought along the fixings for chicken soup today -

IMG_1589.jpg.b2794112c1c68f458a145e2ff28

IMG_1594.jpg.d531a3519e99e425c93ef53a87a

Gave the chicken marylands 15 minutes, 10 minutes for the sautéed veg, then another 2 minutes for the added back chicken and some nice big cooked limas. Just waiting for it to cool sufficiently to eat.

• Like 10

• 4 weeks later...

Found these lovely little silicone cups made by Danesco in Steel City Surplus for 49 cents each. They have a flat bottom that means I can just sit them strait down without having to worry about jar rings and such. Not sure they would hold a big double yoker though. 

IMG_1663.jpg.73fbc4ea4183072d214cdec53fa

IMG_1665.jpg.10fb17b31a75c0d011702022462

IMG_1666.jpg.37ec60622e7171f21e5351d0c3b

After 3 minutes and quick release still a bit undercooked. Back in for one minutes they were a bit over cooked. I suspect 4 minutes from the start would be fine.

IMG_1667.jpg.95792aacd753825506eaecf5e6e

Had already put the eggs in the cups before reading Anna's instructions to grease the cups well (she actually said I should grease the cops but none have shown up here at work yet).

• Like 12

Found a package of turkey dark meat, no skin, in the freezer last night. Decided to bring it along with plans to have it as my lunch and use the remainder to make turkey vegetable soup for dinner.

A handful of RG Christmas Limas went in the pot for 20 minutes. Perfectly cooked - awaiting their placement in the soup later today.

IMG_1668.jpg.0cb5fb0070b21656599aceddb8c

• Like 4

IMG_1671.jpg.aa96fb078017c7415023b546521

Here's the turkey meat cooked in a bit of chicken stock - wasn't at all impressed with the flavour so didn't use it in the soup.

IMG_1672.jpg.ae7cdbdb8b9d1a628943d3a62bd

Soup with with stock from cooking the turkey, carrots, parsnips , celery and the Christmas Limas - good grinding of pepper. 

• Like 4