• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking with clay on an electric cooktop

Jaymes

I now find myself to be the lucky owner of a brand new Mixteca Clay Olla Bean Pot from Rancho Gordo: 

http://www.ranchogordo.com/collections/other-food-items/products/110-mixteca-pot

I've cooked in clay ollas before, but always on a gas burner.  Now, I'm in an apartment with one of those glass-top ranges.  I hate the thing, of course, but not much I can do about it.  In previous houses where I've had to put up with electric stoves, I just bought an outdoor gas grill with a burner attached, but that's not workable here.  No yard, just a small balcony, no bbq equipment allowed.

So I'm wondering if anyone has experience with any of the several heat diffusers on the market.  How would they work with long cooking in clay.  This olla is a thing of considerable beauty, obviously hand-rubbed with stones by someone to create the smooth exterior surface, and I don't want to do anything to risk damaging it.

Suggestions?

Edited by Jaymes (log)
  • Like 4

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

@Jaymes

I would think you would be much better off to buy one of the small tabletop butane hobs.  They are inexpensive and if you are sensible and make sure you have some ventilation they are relatively safe.   I suggest you research this idea if it appeals to you.  

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

17 minutes ago, Anna N said:

@Jaymes

I would think you would be much better off to buy one of the small tabletop butane hobs.  They are inexpensive and if you are sensible and make sure you have some ventilation they are relatively safe.   I suggest you research this idea if it appeals to you.  

Although I must admit that the term "relatively safe" isn't completely reassuring, I do like that idea, and will definitely research.  I hadn't even considered it before.  So thanks.

• Like 1

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Ha.  Look at me.  Just ordered this.

And I'm pretty excited about it.  Not only for cooking in my clay pottery, but also should come in handy the next time a hurricane blows through and we don't have electricity for a week or so.

Thanks again!

Edited by Smithy
eG-friendly Amazon link (log)
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, Jaymes said:

Ha.  Look at me.  Just ordered this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000G6S8Y8?keywords=mr%20max%20tabletop%20burner&qid=1450650559&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

And I'm pretty excited about it.  Not only for cooking in my clay pottery, but also should come in handy the next time a hurricane blows through and we don't have electricity for a week or so.

Thanks again!

And don't foget you can char your peppers, tomatillos, etc.  

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

And don't foget you can char your peppers, tomatillos, etc.  

This is really working out.  Can't believe the thought never occurred to me before.  Of course, when I had a gas stove, no need.  This is a fairly recent thing.  But I've also got a beautiful clay comal that I haven't been able to use.  Can't thank you enough.

I did read the reviews on that particular one I bought and they indicated I could use it indoors. However you're probably right and better safe than sorry. It's small enough that I think I'll be able to use it on my balcony for quite a while before anyone says anything. Not like firing up a big offset Yoder.

You can buy those at lots of places, Walmart and Academy (Houston based sports and outdoor stores) in the camping and outdoors departments; also at Asian grocery stores like Hong Kong Market (Houston), Super H Mart and more.  Aren't they commonly used for table top cooking in Asian restaurants and, presumably, homes?

Jaymes - I've been thinking about getting one since Ike (the hurricane, not the President) but never have gotten around to it, for power outages but also as an adjunct cooker to my two induction units, since the bulk of my pots and pans don't work on them. I'll be looking forward to your reports. 

• Like 1

Also thinking I could just set it on that glass cooktop and turn on the ventilation fan in the hood directly overhead. The model I chose had great reviews and is even popular enough that it's "Prime," so will be here Wednesday. I definitely will report back. Going to make a pot of Rancho Gordo beans in my new olla 'toot sweet' (play on words, get it?).

Edited by Jaymes (log)
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jaymes said:

Also thinking I could just set it on that glass cooktop and turn on the ventilation fan in the hood directly overhead.

Of course.  I run a pimped-out double propane burner frame atop my wood cookstove when I don't want/need to fire the beast.  My "ventilation fan" is my leaky windows and my Dutch door.  I only run it strong (up to 100KBtu) outdoors, but there's been zero issue running lower without a hood. Check your local codes--you will likely find that residential 4- and 6-burner gas cooktops don't require hoods at all.

Your only concerns should be: (a) cracking the glass; and (b) running out of those tiny butane canisters.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, boilsover said:

Your only concerns should be: (a) cracking the glass; and (b) running out of those tiny butane canisters.

I ordered a dozen of those canisters. Do you have a ballpark estimate as to about how many I'll go through for several hours' worth of cooking on low?

• Like 1

I have seen inexpensive gas burning free-standing burners in my local Asian store, and now I have a good excuse to get one. We are frequently plagued by extended power outages here from hurricanes and ice storms, and that would be another option if the generator failed. So one is on my agenda.

I have a glazed clay liner in crockpot from the 80's that I use to this day to cook dry beans, pot roasts, and such. It has been a workhorse and shows no signs of degradation. The heat on it is electric but very gentle and slow.

I've never owned a clay comal or olla, but I've owned supposedly ovenproof stoneware dishes, and still have a few, but I don't use them in the oven because they are just not really oven proof. I had more than one meal spoiled by fired and glazed stoneware shattering in the oven. People used to cook in watertight baskets and animal skulls with hot stones from the fire added until the contents boiled. Then animal bladders or leather pouches suspended over a fire, and the liquid would keep the tissue from burning outright, but I can certainly imagine that the heat eventually took its toll. Then we moved on to unglazed, unfired clay vessels nestled in the coals. The idea of unglazed or glazed clay cookware is certainly romantic, and I can feel myself drawn into the appeal. I just don't want to go through the experience of putting real money in ingredients and real effort into meal prep to have the results explode and be ruined, and have nothing in return for my efforts but a huge mess to clean up. Call me crazy. :D

I'm sticking with my trusty old crock and thick tri-ply stainless cookware. 

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

I cook in unglazed clay on a cheap apartment electric stove.  Just use a heat diffuser or two.  I use two diffusers of different types when I want a nice slow tagine.  As I recall Paula Wolfert recommends the simmermat.  The simmermat works with glass cooktops, as well as traditional electric and gas..

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

5 hours ago, Jaymes said:

Ha.  Look at me.  Just ordered this.

Thanks again!

During the first power outage you will be so glad you have that device.  I'd recommend picking up an extra can or two of butane.  Should be available at any restaurant supply store.  

• Like 2

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

2 hours ago, Jaymes said:

I did read the reviews on that particular one I bought and they indicated I could use it indoors. However you're probably right and better safe than sorry. It's small enough that I think I'll be able to use it on my balcony for quite a while before anyone says anything. Not like firing up a big offset Yoder.

If you go to almost any restaurant that has a multi-station buffet brunch, they are using the little butane stoves to cook eggs and omlettes to order.  I have used them many times and I'm still here.  

• Like 2

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

32 minutes ago, Jaymes said:

I ordered a dozen of those canisters. Do you have a ballpark estimate as to about how many I'll go through for several hours' worth of cooking on low?

How long they last depends on what size flame your using.  

55 minutes ago, Jaymes said:

Jaymes,

I've not cooked with butane, but the propane canisters for my Coleman stove and lantern don't last long at all. They are very expensive to cook and light with, but during a power outage, I'm so grateful to have them, and always keep them stocked. Once an emergency hits, fuel canisters, batteries, candles and almost everything pertinent disappears from the shelves in no time. Weirdly, most folks who probably do not cook at home often, which they are now forced into doing, don't go for the paper plates and plastic tableware which will be critical to comfort and survival without hot water, so usually you have a while to scarf these up, but I keep an emergency stock of those too.

At one point during Hurricane Fran in 96 my brother, who lived three miles away and had had power for a week when we still didn't said to me, "At least you can look forward to a low power bill." I told him I'd just today spent over $200 on ice, propane, charcoal, batteries and candles, after a new supply began flowing in after a dearth and many folks had power already.

I'm still hot for the Asian cook stove, but I suspect it will not be that cheap to operate. I could be wrong, and hope I am. Also it might be challenging to use the model you posted outside. Those wind shield wings that come around the sides and lock in on the Coleman propane stove are critical for operation in even a gentle wind.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

Boy. Lots more to this than I realized. All for one bean pot. Muchas problemas. 

Although it is pretty fabulous. 

Maybe I'll just stick a few flowers in it and admire it from afar.

Don't let the  naysayers win!  I have only ever used mine indoors without running into an issue. I have eaten in Korean restaurants here where there is one at every table many of them lit at the same time.  I do not want to mislead you but I seem to recall that I was able to get about four hours of cooking time (low flame) per cylinder of butane.  

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

8 hours ago, Anna N said:

Don't let the  naysayers win!  I have only ever used mine indoors without running into an issue. I have eaten in Korean restaurants here where there is one at every table many of them lit at the same time.  I do not want to mislead you but I seem to recall that I was able to get about four hours of cooking time (low flame) per cylinder of butane.  

Thanks.  Okay, so now I'm excited again!  And thanks for that four-hour estimate.  Of course I understand that it depends entirely upon how high the flame is, but I had no idea whatsoever what to expect.  I will keep those beans simmering on a vey low fire.  At least now I have some frame of reference.

And it definitely appears that if I'm careful, I should have no problems simmering those beans right here in my little bachelorette kitchen.

• Like 1

I'm glad a solution is on the way and I hope you will post about your cooking endeavors with that beautiful pot, @Jaymes.  I have been coveting it ever since I saw it in the RG newsletter - it looks so lovely, I want to touch it and smell it and cook beans in it!  Oh my pot, is that RG mixteca pot a thing of beauty!  

However, I have plenty of nice bean cooking options: 

IMG_2342.jpg.0dcdac472b754e7e29f89a7ebe9

so I can't really justify the purchase right now and I'm hoping to cook vicariously through your pot.  I'll get out my lovely black La Chamba and hold it when I read your reports! 

• Like 2

I have dozens of clay pots. OK. I have many more than that and it's a problem I can't shake. And I don't want to. 

These pots are designed for open flames. They can take the heat and the woman who makes them puts them right in the fire and laughed when I asked her about starting slowly and working up to a stronger flame. She doesn't bother. Her concern was a hot pot on a cold surface. She doesn't even cure them. 
Not all clay pots are the same but these are low fired, unglazed pots and they are built to work. 

I have heard of glass electric tops breaking but I don't know the specifics of what made that happen. 
You can put them on the BBQ and they are very happy. You will get grease stains and a patina and it only makes you love the pot more. 

I have a quick video here for cooking with this pot:
https://vimeo.com/148407270

• Like 4

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray