• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch near Barnes Foundation?

jsibley

Hi. Can anyone suggest a place somewhat near the Barnes Foundation for lunch? I'll be driving from NJ, and don't plan to go through the center of Philadelphia. Good ethnic or other interesting, non-chain food, please.

Many thanks.

Jonathan

Jonathan -

Viggiano's in Conshohocken (by the bridge, downtown) is dependable, Italian American. I dined there a few years ago, OK place.

Opentable mentions Le Mas Perrier in Wayne (next town west from Radnor) and 333 Belrose (also in Wayne). No experience with either, both have websites.

I'd be interested in your thoughts on the Barnes. Dee and I expect to visit the Degas show at the Museum of Art, and will consider tacking a next day visit to the Barnes, availability permitting

Paul

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Best lunch I've ever had around Philly is at Jack's Firehouse. A quirky, fun place on the outskirts of the center, this is a renovated old firehouse with a real skulling boat hanging from the ceiling. Great selection of beers, bourbons, great ribs, steak sandwiches, catfish, and more exotic selections, at friendly prices. Address is 2130 Fairmount Avenue, Tel. 215-232-9000. Be sure to give us a report!!]

And the Barnes is absolutely fabulous as well!! What an astounding collection of art in one building!

If you're in the mood for a Jewish Deli, the two main remaining ones are nearby. Murray's and (Hymie's?) are a block apart from each other on Montgomery Ave, each half a block away (opposite ways) from Old Lancaster. This is extremely close to the Barnes, to which I've unfortunately never been.

If you're not in the mood for a Jewish Deli (note they are definately not kosher), there are certainly many better options.

One place to consider close by is they Manayunk neighborhood in Philadelphia. (Drop down Belmont Ave. across the river.) Many interesting places, though I have no idea what's there anymore. Jake's was one of the finer places there.

Edited by mb7o (log)

You won't go wrong with Tony Luke's - South Philly 'tude at it's grittiest. But it's not all that close to the Barnes Foundation.

Manayunk's a good suggestion. Walk Main Street and pick whatever is interesting.

If Cheesesteaks are of interest. Dalessandro's, high above Manayunk, off Ridge Avenue at the corner of Henry and Wendover Street, serves some of the best in the City.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Thank you all. We ended up at Sonoma in Manayunk. Not the best meal I've ever had, but nice atmosphere, and the food was above average. On Sunday, they serve brunch at Arroyo, which didn't interest me. However, we went for drinks after the Barnes Foundation, which also worked well. Next time, I'll try to leave more time to walk around Manayunk.

Thanks again.

speaking of manayunk, i have no idea if it's still there, but when i lived in philly about 5 yrs ago i enjoyed some fun, interesting, reasonably priced meals at a tiny place called Vega Grill (on Main St). i recall a tasty ceviche...

another place i liked that is over near Penn is Zocalo.

An afternoon in Manayunk is not complete without lunch at LeBus. Fabulous, wonderful breads, great comfort foods, eclectic main dishes, omelettes, and a great drink selection. They have other locations, but this is the original and the most comfortable LeBus. Take the bread home as well!!

• 5 months later...

it's been several years since i've been to manayunk but i was there today and was very disappointed to see that the food market that i once loved is now a restoration hardware :angry:

i asked around and was told that this happened a few years ago. does anyone happen to know if the mexican place that used to be in there has relocated elsewhere? unfortunately i can't remember their name... :sad:

it's been several years since i've been to manayunk but i was there today and was very disappointed to see that the food market that i once loved is now a restoration hardware  :angry: 

i asked around and was told that this happened a few years ago.  does anyone happen to know if the mexican place that used to be in there has relocated elsewhere?  unfortunately i can't remember their name... :sad:

The 12th Street Cantina still has a location open at the Bellvue food court i in the basement at Broad and Walnut Streets. I pick up lunch from there regularly as it is a short block from my office!

The same family that owned the farmers market still leases the space to Restoration Hardware, Pompanoosuk Mills, etc. They also own the Manayunk Brew Pub that sits at the other end of the complex. The elder Mr. Renner was murdered in the office there about a year ago, by someone trying to steal the (considerable) cash receipts from the brewpub. It was very sad as he was a kind and gentlemanly older man. I worked in the office for a short time, assisting with the administration of the properties, etc., and I was devastated when this happened. :sad:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol