• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mast Bros. chocolate a fraud?

cdh

http://dallasfood.org/2015/12/mast-brothers-what-lies-behind-the-beards-part-1-tastetexture/

I'm surprised nobody has linked to this here yet.

Some familiar names from eG from back in the day.  I recall the Noka expose that this fellow did was heavily discussed here then.

Who likes Mast Bros?  I've never bothered to try them...  I am of the opinion that since there exist a wide variety of mass produced chocolates that I enjoy, the need for artisan quirkyness at a premium price just isn't there for me.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

I wonder... Did they set out to deceive?  Or did they think that once they started doing bean to bar for real it would taste just like valrhona, and be easy to make?  

i have a wet grinder and have tried grinding nibs a few times. You can get pretty smooth chocolate after two or three days in the grinder. But I agree with the math in the article that production of so many varieties in so little space would not be possible. And white chocolate?  Doesn't that take even more equipment to purify the cocoa butter?  

1 hour ago, pastrygirl said:

I wonder... Did they set out to deceive?  Or did they think that once they started doing bean to bar for real it would taste just like valrhona, and be easy to make?  

i have a wet grinder and have tried grinding nibs a few times. You can get pretty smooth chocolate after two or three days in the grinder. But I agree with the math in the article that production of so many varieties in so little space would not be possible. And white chocolate?  Doesn't that take even more equipment to purify the cocoa butter?  

It looks like they had all the gadgetry to play with making bean to bar chocolate...  I'd guess they must have overpromised very early on and melted some Valrhona feves to cover... then they were stuck in a position of having to be equal to or better than Valrhona after people tasted, liked, and raved about that batch. Given that, I can imagine a snowball effect with lots of good intentions getting ground into fine paste under the weight of the earlier deceptions.

Edited by cdh (log)
  • Like 2

Oh, cdh, I think you're very kind, but the heavy-hitting marketing campaign leads me to believe otherwise. I think they intended to capitalize on a gullible market. This is nothing new in the business world, I guess. Looks like people who work seriously with chocolate decided they were getting away with too much. It seems that they're still trying to cover up mediocre chocolate with fancy wrappers and beards and suspenders and stuff. I know that sounds mean, but every step they've taken seems so disingenuous.

• Like 2

What I'm most disillusioned about is that these guys succeeded in snookering the likes of Thomas Keller.  Is the emperor naked?? 

Or were the Bros capable of generating chocolate good enough for TK's palate in extremely limited quantities, and were content to use that endorsement to flog their failed experiments to the public at insane prices?

Edited by cdh (log)

Yikes!!!!   Egg on my face.   I guess I was not not thinking or had drunk too much bourbon when posting or both .  It's pathetic that they hide the truth of their endeavors.  I in no way sanction their business model 

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)

Is this the place to mention that for those in search of good chocolate, you might peruse ranchogordo.com?

Short on folksy beards, but long on integrity.

http://www.laweekly.com/restaurants/best-mexican-chocolate-rancho-gordos-stoneground-cacao-2381007

• Like 5

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

5 hours ago, cdh said:

What I'm most disillusioned about is that these guys succeeded in snookering the likes of Thomas Keller.  Is the emperor naked?? 

Or were the Bros capable of generating chocolate good enough for TK's palate in extremely limited quantities, and were content to use that endorsement to flog their failed experiments to the public at insane prices?

Or did they give TK valrhona?

10 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

Or did they give TK valrhona?

And how much did they supply to Keller.  And did all his operations participate in the product.  

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

• 4 weeks later...