• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Really incredibly BAD beer experiment (Guinness)

joiei

Have you tasted this stuff?  https://www.guinness.com/en-us/our-beers/guinness-nitro-ipa/   I had the unfortunate experience tonight.  I don't know what Guinness is trying to foist off on the world as an IPA much less a Nitro much less a beer but it is crap.  THere is no IPA in the dreck.  It has no flavor and no taste.  I don't know who wrote the stuff for that link to their site but they should be dismissed as well as the brewmaster who thinks the beer drinkers of the world are such sheep they might think they might like this garbage.  Save your money and if you want a decent nitro beer, look for Left Hand.  IPA, not even close.  Being a retailer, my customers have grown to trust my opinion and tastes.  I will never recommend this bilge water called a beer.  If someone trys to buy it from me I will work very hard to dissuade them from wasting their money.  There is no substance, there is no taste, there is none of the hoppiness that makes an IPA what it is.  I am sort of pissed off that Guinness would even vaguely think that this stuff might be drinkable.  Rant over.  Dont waste your money.  This stuff will be gone before the end of the year.  Guinness should be required to buy back all the stuff they have sent out on the world. And if your one of those beer drinkers who think I might not know what I am talking about, hey it is your money your wasting.  If there is a Guinness rep out there that would like to sit down and explain this stuff to me please, I am available.  

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Not the first time I've heard that said about this beer... Have not gone out of my way to confirm it.

As to the what's a Nitro question,  it is a method of serving.  If you look, the tap real black Guinness comes out of is different than what ordinary beer comes out of.  That is because the beer is under a higher pressure in the keg, but most of the gas causing that pressure is a Nitrogen heavy blend of N2 (a non-soluble gas) and CO2 rather than pure CO2, which dissolves into the beer and becomes bubbles.  Nitro beers are beers that pour like Guinness, with the very fine cascading bubbles... that's because the dissolved CO2 acts differently under the pressure that the Nitrogen causes while it is weighing down on the beer without dissolving into it.  Combine that with the extra moving bits in the special nitro taps, and you get a very different beer experience than you'd get from the same liquid pressurized with CO2 and pushed through a normal tap.

Edited by cdh (log)
  • Like 1

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

• 3 years later...
On 12/18/2015 at 11:34 AM, cyalexa said:

What is a nitro? 

Guinness introduced a widget which is basically a rigid hollow sphere with a small pinprick of a hole in it.  It's inserted into a can of Guinness (or whatever product), which is nitrogenated.  That means, nitrogen is put into solution with some carbon dioxide for a slight carbonation and head retention.  The goal is to achieve a tight foam for a head.  Caffreys has the same nitrogenation, but a different style.  

4D0DD90F-9887-C4DE-0A5A55D0EEDF9698.jpg

Hector Litre (hL)

sourcer.ca