• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Happy Kitchen Additions 2015

Porthos

I have added two items to my kitchen this year that I am especially pleased with. 1) I bought a Thermopen. I love that I finally have an "instant read" thermometer that actually is instant read.  2) I bought one of the Thermoworks large and loud timers. At last a timer partially-deaf me can here when I'm not in the kitchen itself.

What have you added this year that has pleased you?

• Like 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

A friend gifted me an Aeropress coffee "syringe"--it's a great way to make 1-2 cups/time.

I was also given a wall-mount frenchfry cutter--works great but hasn't gotten a ton of use.

I bought for myself a vintage triple-blade kraut cutter--vast improvement over my FPs and mandolines.

I added a large vintage Green's Gripstand mixing bowl--these really are fantastic.

I have a Searz-All and one of the new Thermopen contact-probe models on order.

6 minutes ago, boilsover said:

I added a large vintage Green's Gripstand mixing bowl--these really are fantastic.

My younger adult daughter had been going gangbusters baking bread. Kerry and Anna mentioned Gripspan bowls so I bought my daughter one from a thrift store. She lost interest in baking before ever using it and for the moment it's a fruit bowl instead.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

My younger adult daughter had been going gangbusters baking bread. Kerry and Anna mentioned Gripspan bowls so I bought my daughter one from a thrift store. She lost interest in baking before ever using it and for the moment it's a fruit bowl instead.

I only noticed recently that one of the few kitchen tools the Two Fat Ladies used in almost every episode was the same Gripstand bowl.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, boilsover said:

one of the new Thermopen contact-probe models on order.

I purchased two, one for me and one for my brother.  I really like the sturdiness of the probe, the case and the price is very reasonable.

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

My Cuisi-steam oven and the Instant-Pot.  Both eG-facilitated small appliances with their own threads!

Sheesh.  Another Instant-Pot purchase!  I succumbed to the Cuisi oven after many weeks of looking at the comments on that thread......BUT I AM NOT EVEN LOOKING AT THE INSTANT-POT THREAD>:(

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

I purchased two, one for me and one for my brother.  I really like the sturdiness of the probe, the case and the price is very reasonable.

Sheesh.  Another Instant-Pot purchase!  I succumbed to the Cuisi oven after many weeks of looking at the comments on that thread......BUT I AM NOT EVEN LOOKING AT THE INSTANT-POT THREAD>:(

Oh come, look...just take a look.....one smalllllll look lol.

:ph34r:<---------------me being sneaky

• Like 5

Two Thermapens - one for the house, then when I found how much I liked it another for the trailer - and a better IR thermometer than I had before.  Whether that last is really valuable remains to be seen, but it's fun to point at things and see how hot they are.  It'll be useful for campfire cooking in a couple of months.

@Okanagancook, that IP topic is a really good read. You can probably afford to take a peek or three. :P I haven't succumbed. Yet.

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

My Instant Pot. Hours of harmless fun. 

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Vacmaster VP112S, Anova Wifi, Oliso SmartHub, Tatung Induction HOB, Kitchenaid Pro 600 with stainless meat grinder attachment, Breville Smart Oven Pro, ThermoWorks Dot with submersible probe and I think that's about it. When working all together my belly sure is happy. 

• Like 2

hammer.jpg.07385e23c06ade9e2a5654573ea68

"If I Had A Hammer"

Well, I do now. I haven't been able to find a meat pounder/mallet anywhere in China, but settled for this rubber headed mallet. I mainly use it for flattening chicken breasts or escallops.

I used to use the base of pan or even my olive oil bottle, but felt the need for a dedicated tool. I'm off now to thump another chicken.

• Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I keep a similar one in my kitchen but use it with an old knife to get through bones or really hard squash.  

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 19/12/2015 at 2:51 PM, liuzhou said:

"If I Had A Hammer"

Well, I do now. I haven't been able to find a meat pounder/mallet anywhere in China, but settled for this rubber headed mallet. I mainly use it for flattening chicken breasts or escallops.

I used to use the base of pan or even my olive oil bottle, but felt the need for a dedicated tool. I'm off now to thump another chicken.

Of course, within days of proclaiming that meat tenderising hammers aren't available, I find one in a shop two minutes from my front door!

hammer2.jpg.6036a376d3ef9bf866aa205869cc

Edited by liuzhou
added image (log)
  • Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

My favorite and I think only addition to the kitchen equipment this year was very humble compared to everyone else's. It was a Faberware Pro slotted nylon turner in red, most likely discontinued. It's sort of similar to the one in the following link, but differs in that mine has a smaller chrome/stainless nameplate in the center of the handle and also includes a chrome/stainless cap on the end of the handle that completely covers the hanging hole too. I couldn't find one exactly like it pictured online, but this one is close, except I can't tell from the picture on Amazon if it's offset. Mine definitely is. I found it for $2.99 at Ollie's outlet, which is a discount outlet like Big Lot's. It was replacing a 99 cent one I got at a dollar store that was branded Betty Crocker, but Betty would roll in her grave over that one because every time I would use it in a non-stick pan at low temp like for eggs, the material would melt.

I also have two good Kitchen Aid spatula/turners, but they live in a cabinet in the dining room part of the kitchen because the handles are too fat to play nice with the other essential untensils kept by the stove in a copper saucier. They're also pretty inflexible, but because of this they get pulled out for lifting big twice-baked potatoes to plates after the final bake, because the handier ones bend under the weight.

So nothing expensive or earthshaking to most people, but I love my new Faberware turner  :).

> ^ . . ^ <

On 12/17/2015 at 5:08 PM, Porthos said:

Now you've got me on the hunt for these bowls. They're sold "new" on Amazon but quite pricey &  not made in England, necessarily. Some reviewers complain about the quality being sub-par. eBay has "used" Gripspan bowls but I'm finding it hard to pull the trigger on these used items without checking them out in person -  and even the used ones are pricey!