• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2015–2016)

BonVivant

image.jpeg

Gruyere melt on toasted ciabatta with Suvir's tomato chutney.  Also a mug of soup which I posted on The Soup Topic thread. 

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Repurposing Christmas leftovers: 

salad.JPG.97891d4fd59d8d3fa4cb033bc917b4

Took some leftover tossed salad (romaine, cucumber, grape tomatoes, feta) and added some chopped olives off the relish tray, some diced ham and diced turkey. A quite tasty chef's salad in a hurry.

• Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 12/27/2015 at 2:05 PM, Steve Irby said:

We're working through a sack of salty apalachicola oysters.  Lunch was a hollowed out ciabatti loaded up with just fried goodness.

rsP1040659.jpgrsP1040664.jpg

Steve, that is one extremely attractive oyster po boy!

I'm still trying to recover from a food coma from an excellent NYE dinner, but it's still not stopping me from drooling over your photos. I can't stop looking at it. This will be on my agenda soon after I recover from my overindulgence. 

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

What I MADE for lunch and what I HAD for lunch were two different things.

I made this quiche:

quiche.JPG.413436b34732a825c604ead87eecc

Ham, cheese and broccoli, two of those three being Christmas dinner leftovers. Then while I was out running errands, I called my daughter to see if she needed me to pick up anything; she asked for bean burritos from Taco Bell. While in the drive-up lane, I decided I'd make my once-every-five-years excursion into fake Mexican fast food, and ordered two crunchy tacos, which are the only thing on the menu I will eat.

And I learned Taco Bell no longer automatically gives you taco sauce with your order. You have to ask. I did not.

Think I'll have quiche for lunch today, maybe. Oh, and in recognition of the spoon rest topic, I cropped the photo a bit loosely to show mine. I love them because they pop in the dishwasher to clean up.

• Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Staying with my Catalan in-laws in a small town north of Barcelona (like every New Years). Today Catalan home cooking by my MIL: Arroz de Girona. Made with soffregit and mussel broth, featuring gambas, mussels, squid, sausage and pork ribs. Simple and satisfying ...

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 8

image.jpeg.bfa3ba8bb4df61b3250a5ad6ed003

Chinese style scrambled eggs and tomatoes. 

• Like 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Went out for a late (16.00h) lunch at Tres Turrons, Arenys de Munt. Its a local gem, packed with people all day. We had:

Artichokes, both grilled and deep fried. I prefer the latter.

Calçots (some sort of spring onion): It gets grilled over an open fire until thoroughly charred, then you peel off the blackened outer later and enjoy the soft and sweet inner part with Romesco sauce. That made my day!

Xai (lamb): Fatty and chargrilled - 'nuff said.

Mongetas (beans): A local speciality, tender and flavorful.

Cornil amb samfaina (Rabbit braised in a red pepper/eggplant/tomato sauce): I do not care much for the rabbit - that's my wife's choice - but the sauce is to die for. I finished most of it with bread.

Last dish was Cargols (snails): Braised in soffregit and finished in the oven. Those were big guys, plump and juicy. The sauce was slighly sweet and laced with garlic. Nice!

The ladies and the little one had desserts: Coca de Llavaneres (puff pastry filled with crema, topped with pine nuts and baked) and ice cream-filled neulas with chocolate sauce.

I had a cigalo (Coffee with Brandy) instead: The best way to judge its potency is by the temperature - mine came cold, so the coffee content was homoeopathic ...

Very satisfying meal !

WP_20160103_15_33_38_Pro.jpg

WP_20160103_16_05_43_Pro.jpg

WP_20160103_16_05_51_Pro.jpg

WP_20160103_16_08_09_Pro.jpg

WP_20160103_16_08_17_Pro.jpg

WP_20160103_16_08_20_Pro.jpg

WP_20160103_16_08_24_Pro.jpg

WP_20160103_16_22_41_Pro.jpg

WP_20160103_16_37_21_Pro.jpg

WP_20160103_16_39_01_Pro.jpg

WP_20160103_17_01_57_Pro.jpg

WP_20160103_17_02_04_Pro.jpg

WP_20160103_17_00_35_Pro.jpg

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 9

leftovers from Sunday dinner...turkey tenderloin that I had cooked in a grill pan with some Southwest seasoning, and a little bitty baked yam. And pistachios. The vibrant orange color of the yam just makes me happy.

• Like 5

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

I will spare you the photograph of my lunch since it turned out so badly – – the photograph not the lunch. I reheated some frozen beef short ribs that I had SV'd a week or so ago.   I sautéed some onion and some cubes of sweet potato  until they were nicely caramelized, seasoned well and then folded the beef and vegetables into a flour tortilla. A little purchased salsa and some sour cream on the side and I had a tasty lunch.  

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

Okanagancook,

I don't want to take this thread off track but if you are cooking a fair bit from the NOPI cookbook please consider starting a topic devoted to it.

My 2004 eG Blog

image.thumb.jpeg.491fca78cb03f7f9e4a5ccb

I am not someone who enjoys a grilled cheese sandwich normally.  This was something else again. Thinly sliced apple (mandoline) and crumbled Saint Agur Blue on an "ancient grains" store-bought bread.

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

image.thumb.jpeg.9d6e772d1101178bfafe9fc Another breakaway ingredient for me  -- lentils. This is inspired by a Nigel Slater recipe for sausage with lentils.  A few shards of a domestic Asiago-Parmesan and a sprinkling of crispy shallots are the garnish.

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

image.thumb.jpeg.6ea4f757ccb1424449ab63c

Pasta with peas and (canned) salmon. 

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

At last, I've been able to score my favorite ingredients for a grilled cheese sandwich. It's a shame the shipping costs for this cheese are prohibitive when I'm at home; I had to make the pilgrimage to their store when I was nearby. The bread, too, is something I can't find at home, although my efforts to make it are getting close. 

20160111_134739.thumb.jpg.b977aef896ff83

Gooey, melted cheese just crisped where it hit the skillet. Mayo & mustard inside, butter outside to help with browning. A definite kick-over-the-traces lunch. 

• Like 11

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Pasta with cauliflower and sun-dried tomato sauce from Deborah Madison's Savory Way:

caulipasta.thumb.jpg.2bb3c4acfacf5f5d68f

Bad photo of one of my favorite dishes.  I love the economy of dropping the cauliflower florets into the boiling water, scooping them out and using the same pot and water to cook the pasta while the cauliflower continues to cook with onion, garlic and a sun-dried tomato puree.  Before the pasta is completely cooked, it too goes into the pan with the other ingredients to finish cooking.  So the textures remain distinct but the flavors link all the ingredients together. 

The sun-dried tomatoes I used had been in the pantry long enough to become quite dark so even without the brilliant noonday sun I used for my photo, the dish is usually more of a rich red than this brown.  But it still tasted good and I have 4 more servings in the freezer.  Maybe I'll have one of them on a cloudy day and take a better photo :D:D:D

• Like 6