• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2015–2016)

BonVivant

Host's Note: This is part of an extended topic that became too large for our servers to handle efficiently, so we've divided it into shorter segments; the preceding part of this discussion is here: Lunch! What'd ya have? (2014-2015)

A small and simple one.

Vf4rsEu.jpg

FL2mXDx.jpg

84c1cF4.jpg

SNnFeBH.jpg

Edited by Smithy
Added host's note (log)
  • Like 8

Lunch with friends at a local restaurant in Mandalay, Myanmar.

Shan chips with a dipping sauce of green chillies, garlic and soy.

Chicken with straw mushrooms, stir fried corn and snow peas, fried rice and prawn soup.image.jpeg

Edited by sartoric (log)
  • Like 7

I don't think so Okanagancook. They're more like a thick pappadam.

It's hard to get specifics here, there's a bit of a language barrier, but they are delicious.

I love shrimp chips too (in Oz we call them prawn crackers), I've been known to fry up a huge plate and eat them all....

Sometimes you just need a treat:

attachicon.gifIMG_2206.jpg

Vive la France!

Trader Joe's Truffle Mousse Pâté on whole wheat mini toasts with cornichons and Champagne.  All from France.

Your lunch looked so great that I went straight to TJ's that night to get some Pate.  I somehow missed that you mentioned truffles.  I detest truffles.  Do you know if they have any without?  They didn't that day, but I know they sometimes switch things up.  I did find the little toasts, though! :smile:

Edited by Kim Shook (log)

Your lunch looked so great that I went straight to TJ's that night to get some Pate.  I somehow missed that you mentioned truffles.  I detest truffles.  Do you know if they have any without?  They didn't that day, but I know they sometimes switch things up.  I did find the little toasts, though! :smile:

Years ago, TJ's used to carry several different pâtés but this is the only one I've seen lately.  Sorry about the truffles!  

A recent lunch in Tiberias

From left to right...garlic sauce, two eggplant preparations, coarse chopped Israeli salad, hummus, cucumbers in tzatziki, tabouleh, olives. And pita with oilve oil and hyssop.

Then came broiled fish and lamb/beef patties...and coffee with dates

052.jpg

• Like 10

Lunch with friends at a local restaurant in Mandalay, Myanmar.

Shan chips with a dipping sauce of green chillies, garlic and soy.

Chicken with straw mushrooms, stir fried corn and snow peas, fried rice and prawn soup.attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Everyone's lunches look so good!

I was especially taken by sartoric's feast in Myanmar.

I didn't know what Shan chips were, never having heard of them before, and went to ask Mr. Google. There's evidence that they are made with chana dal flour, but I also found this YouTube video about a Myanmar/Burma factory that makes and packages them for distribution and sale with potatoes:

This factory operates almost completely in the open air, with much of the work done without the benefit of a roof. The chips are dried in the sun on the ground on tarps, then fried over a wood fire, and drained in a grass or bamboo basket. Don't miss the part where the individual bags of finished product are sealed with what looks like a candle or lamp flame. I hoped others might find it interesting as well.

• Like 3

> ^ . . ^ <

A cold plate of cheeses, salami, olives, pickles and crackers. Probably lunch (and potentially dinner) several days this week as I have the kitchen tied up in Thanksgiving prep.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

image.jpeg

Re-heated from frozen beef and vegetable soup with a toasted slice of multi-grain bread. Winter has arrived in Southern Ontario. We have already seen our first snow.

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I tried the Lime Cilantro Sweet Potatoes that cakewalk mentioned over here in the Thanksgiving thread and served them with a TJ's crab cake and TJ's dill and jalapeño tartar sauce.  

IMG_2230.jpg

I used half orange sweet potatoes and half white murasaki sweet potatoes.  Should have pulled the orange guys out of the oven earlier as they got a bit overcooked but that recipe is a keeper.  Very tasty. 

• Like 4

image.jpeg

Chopped Celery with Ground Pork over noodles. Adapted from Fuschia Dunlop.

• Like 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Thanksgiving leftovers, revamped.  Spicy Sweet Potato Soup, toasted ciabatta topped with goat cheese and cranberry-lime relish:

IMG_2245.jpg

I had some leftover sweet potatoes that included coconut milk and ginger and were topped with coconut and macadamia nuts.  Also a couple of spare roasted sweet potatoes.  Made a variation of this Spicy Sweet Potato soup.  I left out the peanut butter and threw in an extra handful of macadamia nuts instead.  The soup was finished with fresh lime juice and garnished with cilantro.

• Like 7

Lunch today was brown. Very brown. Tasty but brown, so no pictures.

Mushroom soup always looks like a muddy pond in photos. I thought it was just me, but a moment ago I looked at Google's image search results for 'mushroom soup' and yes, muddy ponds.

The soup was based on a chicken stock and had button, shiitake, and matsutake mushrooms. Garlic, shallot. Finished with Chinese chives and coriander leaf (a bit of green to make the muddy pond look also algae infested). Delicious, if I say so myself, which I do.

This was followed by home made chicken liver pâté (brown) on baguettes (brown).

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

kayb, I saw your post in the dinner thread so I will report my similar lunch.  I had ice cream.  TJ's Peppermint Joe Joe's ice cream, to be specific.  

I went out to do some errands, including picking up some broccoli for a nice salad for lunch.  Bought the broccoli and the ice cream, amongst other things.  

Got home almost 3 PM.  

Starving.  

Ice cream.  

:blush:

Maybe wine for dinner. 

:blush:  :blush:  :blush:

• Like 2

kayb, I saw your post in the dinner thread so I will report my similar lunch.  I had ice cream.  TJ's Peppermint Joe Joe's ice cream, to be specific.  

I went out to do some errands, including picking up some broccoli for a nice salad for lunch.  Bought the broccoli and the ice cream, amongst other things.  

Got home almost 3 PM.  

Starving.  

Ice cream.  

:blush:

Maybe wine for dinner. 

:blush:  :blush:  :blush:

I highly approve. I had salsa with grated cheddar in it.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

image.jpeg

Rapini and mushrooms sauteed in garlicky olive oil and topped with a poached egg.

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog