• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2015–2016)

BonVivant

@Tere, are "tomberries" tiny tomatoes?  They do look awfully cute!

My lunch today.  Tarhana soup, salad, roasted chickpeas (inspired by @ElainaA's post over here in the Dinner thread), TJ's whole wheat flat bread:

IMG_2972.jpg

I thought I had seen some mention of tarhana recently on eG, but I couldn't find it but I did find the small packet of tarhana that had been stashed in my freezer for ages.  It was homemade in Turkey and shared with me by a good friend.  After hearing how much effort is involved in making it, I was apparently afraid to use it but shouldn't have been - sounds like it was the original "instant soup" and the flavor was great.

I had cooked up some chickpeas for hummus this AM so I scooped some out and roasted them with just olive oil and salt.  Then tossed half of them with rosemary and lemon zest and the rest with zatar so I could try both.  They are both really good!

I brushed the TJ's flatbread with olive oil, sprinkled with dukkah (also from TJ's) and heated in the toaster oven.  I was surprised that it came out looking like a poofy flying saucer:

IMG_2965.jpg

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 11

image.jpegOld cheddar, apple and red onion melt on an English muffin. 

• Like 13

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N, that looks so good!  I was just thinking about trying some sort of savory apple and caramelized onion pie or tart with cheddar but decided I'd put that one away until the fall.

Your lunch captures those flavors but seems much more appropriate to the season with the fresh red onion with just a hint of char.  Nice!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

@Anna N, that looks so good!  I was just thinking about trying some sort of savory apple and caramelized onion pie or tart with cheddar but decided I'd put that one away until the fall.

Your lunch captures those flavors but seems much more appropriate to the season with the fresh red onion with just a hint of char.  Nice!One was told to make a pocket in a stick slice of bread

Thank you. I was inspired by a recipe for French toast in which one was told to make a pocket in a thick slice of bread,  stuff it with cheese and onion, dip in egg/milk mix and I think the apple slices were sautéed. It all seemed much too much for me and so I simplified it this way!  

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Yup, tomberries are itty bitty blueberry sized tomatoes. I ordered them in a "what the X" moment but they are actually nice and sweet, and I would consider for lazy salads. They just came from Sainsbury's.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, heidih said:

THose are fun - sometimes called currant tomatoes here

I grew them once - and once only. Itty bitty is SO right. I had both red and yellow varieties. Picking them took approximately forever. As they ripened, the connection with the stem loosened so lots of them just fell off. Fun yes, but never again.

Edited by ElainaA (log)
  • Like 3

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

11 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N   

was the apple raw on the EM ?

11 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N   

was the apple raw on the EM ?

Yes 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

20 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

@Tere, are "tomberries" tiny tomatoes?  They do look awfully cute!

My lunch today.  Tarhana soup, salad, roasted chickpeas (inspired by @ElainaA's post over here in the Dinner thread), TJ's whole wheat flat bread:

IMG_2972.jpg

I thought I had seen some mention of tarhana recently on eG, but I couldn't find it but I did find the small packet of tarhana that had been stashed in my freezer for ages.  It was homemade in Turkey and shared with me by a good friend.  After hearing how much effort is involved in making it, I was apparently afraid to use it but shouldn't have been - sounds like it was the original "instant soup" and the flavor was great.

I had cooked up some chickpeas for hummus this AM so I scooped some out and roasted them with just olive oil and salt.  Then tossed half of them with rosemary and lemon zest and the rest with zatar so I could try both.  They are both really good!

I brushed the TJ's flatbread with olive oil, sprinkled with dukkah (also from TJ's) and heated in the toaster oven.  I was surprised that it came out looking like a poofy flying saucer:

IMG_2965.jpg

Looks like a great lunch! Now I really want to put my hands on some tarhana, but I never seen it being sold or made before, so I guess it's going to be an upcoming DIY project.

I really like roasted chickpeas, my absolute favorite way to make it is to coat them in curry powder (I use turmeric, fenugreek, cumin, fennel and black pepper), then add some chili for heat, salt, and a touch of brown sugar. It's amazing how fast those things disappear, I just can't seem to ever make enough.

• Like 2

~ Shai N.

Yesterday's lunch was the result of a freezer clean-out.  My freezer yielded a container of collard green pesto, half a package of shredded mozzarella and frozen spinach.  The fridge had some homemade ricotta, parmesan and mushrooms that needed using up.  TJ's no-bake lasagna noodles were at the ready in the pantry.   The result was this small lasagna al pesto, baked in a loaf pan in the Cuisi steam oven:

IMG_2978.jpg

• Like 12

@blue_dolphin Your lasagna look amazing (especially the photo in the breakfast topic). It sound much like a lasagna recipe I really like, so I'm sure it also tastes great.

I made a batch hummus. One with tahini, chickpeas, olive oil and pine nuts. My serving was with onion, chickpeas, tahini, pine nuts and sumac.

DSCF5761.JPGDSCF5758.JPG

• Like 8

~ Shai N.

image.jpeg

Yesterday had lunch out at a restaurant and took home the remains of my "Lambwich".   I am not fond of cold lamb at the best of times but gussied up with a few grape tomatoes, red onion  and blue cheese dressing it made a perfectly adequate lunch. 

• Like 13

My 2004 eG Blog