• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2015–2016)

BonVivant

image.jpeg

Rainbow trout for dinner last night and for lunch today (Was not able to order a smaller portion from my grocery delivery service). This time with roasted asparagus. 

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 5/14/2016 at 4:03 PM, suzilightning said:

Funny but John has a problem when I talk about food too early....he finds it something that upsets his head and stomach.  I have the problem that I have talked about before of when working with food or even reading about it NOT being hungry because of how I process information and my brain thinks I have already eaten.  NOT a good thing....

I wish it could work like that for me. Could be useful!

9 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Pulled pork sandwich, baked beans ( @janeer's wonderful recipe over here as recommended by @patrickamory, thank you kindly), mixed vegetable slaw enjoyed with a Lagunitas IPA.

And yes, it's barely 11:30AM here.  I waited as long as I could.  The other half of the sandwich already has a couple of bites out of it xD!

You need some SLAW on that sammich! Looks like a baked beans recipe that's similar to mine. But 6 tablespoons of dry mustard? That's a LOT of mustard...

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

cheese and tom.jpg

Now, you may be thinking that is just a photograph of some cheddar cheese and sliced tomato on some buttered bread. 

No, no, no. That is a thing of great beauty and joy. That is the best lunch I have eaten in months. It is some cheddar cheese and sliced tomato on some (home made) buttered bread with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, and when you live in an essentially cheese free mega-country and the one shop which sells the stuff has been out of stock for literally months, its sudden reappearance is  to be celebrated and thanks sung from the mountain tops. 

This morning I was in my local store where I buy my bread flour and glanced forlornly at what I expected to be an empty fridge and found it contained one huge lump of cheddar. OK. It's not the best cheddar in the world. Hardly artisan. It doesn't smell of the farmyard and come with a certified copy of the cow's birth certificate or even a mention of her name. It's factory made in New Zealand. Beggars can't be cheesers.

More than one sample was consumed. Just to make sure.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 13

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

2 hours ago, kayb said:

Looks like a baked beans recipe that's similar to mine. But 6 tablespoons of dry mustard? That's a LOT of mustard...

Yes, 6 tablespoons sounds like a lot of mustard, doesn't it?  But the recipe is written for 2 lbs of dry beans so that's a LOT of beans, too :D!  Turns out to be just the right amount to balance out the maple syrup and molasses.

• Like 2

On 5/14/2016 at 5:03 PM, suzilightning said:

Funny but John has a problem when I talk about food too early....he finds it something that upsets his head and stomach.  I have the problem that I have talked about before of when working with food or even reading about it NOT being hungry because of how I process information and my brain thinks I have already eaten.  NOT a good thing....

Wow, suzilightning!  I wish I had your problem. My problem, and it might be more common, is when I've eaten to satiety, I can look at food photos and dialogue on sites like this and have cravings again and act on them.

How do you ever have time to research recipes if you lose interest when you're not hungry?

We had Taco Bell for lunch because our dishwasher is broken over a month, and I am getting supremely sick of washing dishes by hand. 

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

3 hours ago, liuzhou said:

cheese and tom.jpg

It doesn't smell of the farmyard and come with a certified copy of the cow's birth certificate or even a mention of her name. It's factory made in New Zealand. Beggars can't be cheesers.

More than one sample was consumed. Just to make sure.

I'm so glad that you were able to find a rare cheese fix and seem to be able to find potatoes pretty regularly now too.

Beautiful lunch!

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

image.jpeg

It has been many, many years since I last bought iceberg lettuce or made a salad so simple and so good as this one.  Iceberg, cucumber and tomatoes with a store-bought (Renée's) blue cheese dressing. 

• Like 8

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Salad lunch:

salads.JPG

Clockwise from 12 o'clock: Caprese with the tomatoes and mozz diced up, basil olive oil, balsamic glaze, sea salt. Jail slaw and spring pickles that have been residing in the fridge since last week. Pea, asparagus and hearts of palm salad, in a viniagrette with grated parm tossed in. Now I need a nap.

• Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

Lunches this cold, very windy, sunless long weekend:

Bread with Tirolean ham, asparagus, egg. I got thin asparagus especially for this and the mousse below.

9F2F1v8.jpg 

mE9q2Pn.jpg

Asparagus mousse (with cream, chopped dill and gelatin added). Nice to spread on bread as is. Also goes with cooked prawns or what I have made, cured salmon.

0ZNjaKX.jpg

Cured some salmon again with lots of whisky and crushed juniper berries this time. These strips are from the flesh around the cavity. There's still the loin, for something else.

BpWH99f.jpg

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 10

Grilled sandwich with pulled pork, spinach and Swiss cheese:

IMG_2896 (1).jpg

I debated: cheese on one side or both? Hmmm.  I hate it when the sandwich contents squirt out between 2 layers of cheese so I went with one side.  Next time, I'll try both as I think the pulled pork would hang on OK.

Still plenty tasty!

• Like 12

@blue_dolphin

I am not much of a fan of grilled cheese sandwiches but I didn't realize how hungry I was until I just saw your sandwich.  

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

so it's not quite like the "Ladies who Lunch"...but I always scope out food places on the Google map when I'm going to a customer meeting...to see what might be in the area of interest. Today's destination showed a scoop shop who makes their own on the premises. For lunch today, the sun came out and I had a scoop of strawberry cheesecake ice cream. That is all.

• Like 7

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

On May 17, 2016 at 6:44 PM, blue_dolphin said:

Grilled sandwich with pulled pork, spinach and Swiss cheese:

IMG_2896 (1).jpg

I debated: cheese on one side or both? Hmmm.  I hate it when the sandwich contents squirt out between 2 layers of cheese so I went with one side.  Next time, I'll try both as I think the pulled pork would hang on OK.

Still plenty tasty!

OMG! I want that!

• Like 1

image.jpeg

Incredibly messy but still good. Lettuce, tomato, bacon and mayo on the home made semolina bread. 

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog

Bad weather this weekend for photos but the food makes up for it.

Wobbly beer jelly, made with a Belgian IPA. Goes well with fatty, strong tasting foods.

YM4Sn1h.jpg

I've tried using different ingredients for the salmon but decided I like this combination the most: whisky, juniper berries, dill, and grated beetroots. My partner suggests another marinade with Sichuan peppercorns for next time.

Xh90QmI.jpg

Dried tuna roe (brought back from Spain). Plastic "crust" must be removed before eating, btw.

JB1Xtae.jpg

More on the board are Iberico sausage and giant seedless Turkish lemon. The beer jelly is great for cleansing the palate. Not only that, it's also cool and refreshing.

U6eDvwF.jpg

The cheese in photo above is also from this weekend

8x2oeoU.jpg

---

Also from this weekend:

Half of the salmon was eaten with asparagus

B4VSyRi.jpg

00Y3no2.jpg

There's a thick layer of asparagus mousse between the bread and the crab meat. Unfortunately, I realised later that the tiny white crab bits became almost invisible on top of mousse.

3BIy25a.jpg

• Like 12

@BonVivant

I'm speechless and that happens rarely. 

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

OK, just chill. I got this.

Anna N, the beer jelly is new to me. Glad I decided to give it a go. Will be experimenting more with different types of beer.

• Like 1

Biased sliced French bread that has been drizzled with good olive oil on both faces, provolone cheese and sliced tomatoes. Finely shaved cabbage that has been hit with salt and pepper and olive oil and allowed to wilt down for a few minutes and a few slices of cooked salami.

HC

IMG_0845.JPG

IMG_0853.JPG

• Like 11

3 hours ago, HungryChris said:

Biased sliced French bread that has been drizzled with good olive oil on both faces, provolone cheese and sliced tomatoes. Finely shaved cabbage that has been hit with salt and pepper and olive oil and allowed to wilt down for a few minutes and a few slices of cooked salami.

HC

IMG_0845.JPG

IMG_0853.JPG

That's gorgeous.

No pics, but I was on a road trip this weekend that included barbecue for lunch Friday; stewed pork neckbones over rice, greens and sweet potatoes (soul food!) on Saturday, and a fried oyster po'boy with spinach instead of the lettuce or cabbage on Sunday. (That does not even speak to the Delta hot tamales on Friday night, or the kibbie and grape leaves on Saturday. I may not eat for a week.)

• Like 7

Don't ask. Eat it.

I made pizza dough a few days ago and my first experiment was a total failure. I had forgotten that the second half was still in the refrigerator.   This one was much more successful.   I baked the crust unadorned in a 550°F oven for three minutes. image.jpeg

The underside when it was finished baking (the full 8 minutes).

image.jpeg

I then added the toppings. Home made tomato sauce, mushrooms which I had dry fried and some mozzarella cheese and  returned it to the oven for a further five minutes.   It was far from perfect but quite satisfactory for a second attempt. On my next attempt I will pre-cook the base for five minutes and hope to get away with a shorter time once the pizza has been topped. I am not fond of browned cheese on a pizza. 

• Like 12

My 2004 eG Blog

"Mexican" salad from a few days ago. Cucumber, chicken sousvided at 60 degrees C for an hour because it's easy to remember, avocado, tomberries which are the funniest thing ever, a handful of grated cheddar, lime juice, salsa in a squeezy jar, sour cream the same, and plenty of tabasco. Not cheffy but I nommed it :)

Mexican salad.jpg

• Like 6