• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2015–2016)

BonVivant

A stand out lunch in a beautiful setting.

image.jpeg

Clockwise from top right, pork Spring rolls wrapped in leaf grown at the lodge, mushroom and glass noodles spring rolls, tiny prawn fritters, chokoes and carrots (surprisingly good), banana flower salad, and in the centre crispy chicken. Top left is soup with morning glory.

Below is the leaf, any ideas ?

image.jpeg

• Like 9

Red quinoa, tomato, black bean,  roasted pepper and cilantro salad. I really need to haul a real plate in to work.  I have bowls and silverware stored in my workspace but no plate. 

image.jpeg

Edited by liamsaunt (log)
  • Like 8

Lunch today was a bowl of prawn ramen in a Japanese food concession in Guangzhou (Canton) South railway station, while waiting for a train. It was OK, but a little over-salted, probably due the addition of the salted egg. The seaweed also adds salt. The prawns were fat and juicy. 

IMG_0107.jpg

• Like 9

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

"It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year" is a popular Christmas song written in 1963 by Edward Pola and George Wyle, but it has long been my suspicion that they were secretly thinking about soft shell crab season. BTW, I spotted and bought clamato juice recently and while this is a virgin Caesar, it did prove to me that the cocktail has merit and needs to be pursued. Thanks, Anna N!

HC

IMG_0667.JPG

• Like 6

image.jpeg

Home made soup from the freezer and a homemade bun still warm from the oven. 

@HungryChris

We Canadians do have a few good ideas :D

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Purists will no doubt recoil in horror, but lunch was salmon sashimi with lime juice and with the usual soy sauce and "wasabi".

Alternative slices (first just the lime, then with the soy/wasabi) went down a treat. I ate the lot.

IMG_0219.jpg

• Like 9

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

image.jpeg

A home made bun stuffed with leftover steak, tomatoes and radishes.   I really wanted some arugula in there but it had frozen in my crisper :(

• Like 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

On 20/04/2016 at 7:57 AM, Okanagancook said:

Oh, my goodness, those kibbeh were really difficult to make because the recipe in Aleppo has no meat in the outside shell, just in the filling, so it is very, very crumbly.  Took me about three minutes or so to make each one.  Next time I'll make the ones with meat in the shell.  They fried up very nicely, served with tahini sauce.

I am intrigued as to how you can make fried Kibbeh with no meat in the casing?

The book recipe calls for rice, which in fact is unheard of in Aleppo, notwithstanding rice being used in the recipe and notwithstanding that it should be crushed wheat but how was the binding for the casing made without meat?

There are indeed recipes of meatless Kibbeh but they are invariably shaped as balls and not filled.

You also have flat disk meat Kibbeh using rice (Iraq Mosul recipe) filled and not filled. Another variant is layered Kibbeh.

Kibbeh Kraas or Kibbeh Traboulsiyeh or Kibbeh Ma'alieh or whatever name used is made with the following ingredients:

Crushed Wheat - Lamb mince - onions - spices - pine kernels. All with meat in the casing.

Care to explain and share your procedure?

Thank you

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Nicolai said:

The book recipe calls for rice, which in fact is unheard of in Aleppo, notwithstanding rice being used in the recipe and notwithstanding that it should be crushed wheat but how was the binding for the casing made without meat?

There are indeed recipes of meatless Kibbeh but they are invariably shaped as balls and not filled.

You also have flat disk meat Kibbeh using rice (Iraq Mosul recipe) filled and not filled. Another variant is layered Kibbeh.

Kibbeh Kraas or Kibbeh Traboulsiyeh or Kibbeh Ma'alieh or whatever name used is made with the following ingredients:

Crushed Wheat - Lamb mince - onions - spices - pine kernels. All with meat in the casing.

Thank you

Nicolai, in Israel most kibbeh (or kubbah, as is pronounced here) is made with no meat in the casing, but there are many recipes, and many do. I also never heared of rice in kibbeh.

~ Shai N.

19 hours ago, Nicolai said:

Thank you

The recipe in the book Aromas of Aleppo calls them 'kibbeh nabelsieh'

The ingredients are 3 parts fine bulgur; 1 part all purpose flour and 1 part matzah meal which I understand is crushed matzah crackers.  I could not get matzah crackers so I substituted panko bread crumbs.  Some cumin, paprika, pepper, salt is added to the dough and the dry ingredients mixed together.  2 3/4 to 3 cups of lukewarm water and some oil is stired into the dry ingredients until a 'moist but firm dough' is achieved.  That's it.  Then you form the casings and stuff with the spiced ground beef filling.  It was really difficult to form the shells and I ended up adding more water as I went along because the dough dried out seeing I took so long to form the Kibbeh.  I put the formed ones on a sheet pan and they were put in the fridge for a few hours to dry out and consolidate before I deep fried them.  The frying part was easy.  Not one fell apart and they were very delicious with the crunchy crust and soft bulgur/beef interior.  I made a tahini dipping sauce for them which was perfect.  I hope that is what you were wanting. cheers

• Like 2

3 hours ago, shain said:

Nicolai, in Israel most kibbeh (or kubbah, as is pronounced here) is made with no meat in the casing, but there are many recipes, and many do. I also never heared of rice in kibbeh.

Shain, Thank you for your post. But, please explain how you make the casing without meat? Is it Burgul crushed to a paste in a mortar with  water? Is it Semolina? Which ingredients and procedure?

What is it that binds the Bulgur (crushed wheat) to form the casing?

Edited by Nicolai (log)
  • Like 1

image.jpeg

My version of a shrimp roll. Nice thing about baking your own rolls -- you get to choose if they are top split or side split:D

• Like 13

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Nicolai said:

Shain, Thank you for your post. But, please explain how you make the casing without meat? Is it Burgul crushed to a paste in a mortar with  water? Is it Semolina? Which ingredients and procedure?

What is it that binds the Bulgur (crushed wheat) to form the casing?

Most add semolina to the bulgur (regular wheat, not durum), some add flour instead, but I find it too doughy. Most use store bought fine crashed bulgur, which should be pre-soaked in water for best results. I also know a few that add egg, can't tell you the exact result, but I guess it acts a little like ground meat, but as said, this is much less common than adding meat. Then you add water to fourm a not sticky and workable dough. As Okanagancook said, the amount of water should be addjust by feel to be workable.

• Like 2

~ Shai N.