• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2015–2016)

BonVivant

Kube in thick beet soup. Gently sour-sweet from lemon and beet sweetness, enhanced with a little date molasses.

Sugar apple (anona) from our tree. Plenty of those this year, probably due to the short winter.

20160421_175206.jpg20160416_205455.jpg

• Like 4

~ Shai N.

image.jpeg

Sticking with the Use it or Lose it idea.  There were a few leftovers from dinner yesterday evening including some sautéed zucchini and a couple of slices of cooked chicken breast. There was also an opened tetra pack of chicken broth in the fridge that needed to be used up so all went into yesterday's  soup. I swear it gets better with time and additions. A doorstop of homemade buttered bread did not hurt lunch either.  

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Lunch today was a gift from a neighbour.

These are steamed banana leaf parcels containing glutinous rice and peanuts along with some unidentified herbs. I did ask neighbour for the name of this preparation, but she replied "No name".

I ate them anyway!

IMG_9659.jpg

• Like 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

image.jpeg

Gruyere, bacon and mushroom melt. 

• Like 13

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

""    fresh tomato ""

don't even remember that that tastes like.

I got some ' tomato '  maturing in a brown bag with some apples.  Green house.  Maine.

Im not complaining.  nope.  sometimes i don't even have those.

""  burger in the back ""

?

59 minutes ago, rotuts said:

""    fresh tomato ""

don't even remember that that tastes like.

I got some ' tomato '  maturing in a brown bag with some apples.  Green house.  Maine.

Im not complaining.  nope.  sometimes i don't even have those.

""  burger in the back ""

?

Nope, that's what the sandwich looked like closed. I neglected to mention it was a pumpernickel bagle.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Lunch at a home stay on the Black River in the Mai Chau Valley.

Clockwise from the top ..processed meat, special processed meat, stir fried eggplant, pork, and in the centre stir fried gourd. All delicious.

image.jpeg

The dining room.

image.jpeg

The kitchen.

image.jpeg

• Like 6

Today was national day off, it felt like a Sunday... miserable weather, empty streets, we took our time eating and drinking.

- Munich "white sausages" with sweet mustard.

- "Potato cheese", literally. Basically it's mashed potatoes with cream, minced onions and chives.

yiVAIrr.jpg

bdTCT6G.jpg

The whole lunch

h7gMQMx.jpg

• Like 11

Turkish Menemen (I call it Turkish shakshuka). Scrambled eggs in sauce made with green chills, onion and tomatoes. Spiced with garlic, paprika, cumin, sumac, pepper, lemon, parsley, chives and toasted sunflower seeds.
Served with warm buttermilk rolls. The best method of eating it is tearing the roll apart, eating some of the filling, then filling it with the shakshuka.

20160427_144849.jpg20160427_145951.jpg

Would like the eggs to be have larger more defined crumb. Maybe next I'll fry it separately before mixing with the sauce.

Sunflower seeds works well with chives and eggs. I might try to add them next time I cooks an omelette.

• Like 8

~ Shai N.

image.jpeg

Tongue tacos with salsa and red onion. Tongue showed up frequently on the menu when I was growing up in the British Midlands but I don't believe I have had it since about 1958. It has been discussed recently here on eG and I wondered if I could still buy the cooked product here in Ontario. I also wondered if I would still like it!  No fear there. It is still very tasty. However I failed to think things through (a major failing of mine) and arrived home with 200 grams of hard-won tongue (the young ladies in the deli were reluctant to open a brand new package which left no doubt as to its anatomical identity) but one brave soul was found to slice off my order. I had tongue but no suitable bread for a tongue sandwich and lttle hope of getting any while the tongue was still fresh. Google to the rescue!  Tongue tacos for lunch and tongue hash for dinner.  

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog

13 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Tongue showed up frequently on the menu when I was growing up in the British Midlands but I don't believe I have had it since about 1958.

Your post has brought back memories for me, too. Saturday night dinners in Scotland in the late 50s and early 60s tended to be tongue sandwiches or, at least, that's how I remember it. Haven't eaten it for decades either. I remember liking it a lot.

I have seen unprocessed beef and pig tongues in the local market but you seem to have to buy a whole one, then go through the palaver of skinning it etc. For someone who lives alone, it may not be an option. Sadly.

Now I am surrounded by duck's tongues!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 minute ago, liuzhou said:

Your post has brought back memories for me, too. Saturday night dinners tended to be tongue sandwiches or, at least, that's how I remember it. Haven't eaten it for decades either.

I have seen unprocessed tongues in the local market but you seem to have to buy a whole one, then go through the palaver of skinning it etc. For someone who lives alone, it may not be an option. Sadly.

I was a little surprised that only whole tongues were on display at the deli, too.  But they were priced by the 100 gram so I knew they would be willing to sell slices. Still I think it must be a very slow mover!  The deli specializes in European food stuffs so I had expected it to be sliced and on display as are most other luncheon meats. I understand the whole living alone thing else I might be willing to cook a whole tongue. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Left over stuffed pepper. The green peppers were almost $2 each when I was looking for some to stuff, so I ended up with cubalelles. I jokingly refer to myself as the catfish as It seems I am always relegated to consuming the leftovers. This, however was no chore, actually almost better the second time around. I look forward to having the last one for lunch tomorrow or Sunday.

HC

IMG_0603.JPG

IMG_0601.JPG 

• Like 10

image.jpeg

I placed a grocery order yesterday which will be delivered in the next couple of hours and so it behooved me to make use of whatever was left in the crisper drawers.  One lonely parsnip was turned into crispy parsnip chips.  The rather sad head of broccoli, two limp carrots and part of a red onion  where combined with some chicken to make a perfectly adequate soup. A shower of grated parmesan upped the umami nicely. 

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog