• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2015–2016)

BonVivant

image.jpeg

Very early lunch today!  Leftover braised duck and aromatic vegetables. Took the meat off the bone to make re-heating a bit less challenging. 

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Very early lunch today!  Leftover braised duck and aromatic vegetables. Took the meat off the bone to make re-heating a bit less challenging. 

It was chilly here this AM and that photo of your duck and veg lunch helped warm me up!

Nice show of teamwork here on the lunch thread:

On March 30, 2016 at 10:17 PM, liuzhou said:

A neighbour made the sausages and I made the bread. And put them together.

22 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Indonesian meal for friends who helped cut apricot trees down for firewood....

I like it:smile:!

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 2

We recently had a discussion on the dinner topic about Berkeley mushrooms so today I had them for lunch over a couple of toasted English muffins. 

image.jpeg

• Like 9

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Tamale.jpg

Tj's refrigerated tamales  Pork w red sauce   Jack  micro'd  2.30 min   torched.

nice very quick lunch.  I added TJ's green hot sauce.   would have been better with some chopped red onion, some Pico de gallo

but I was in a hurry.

of course an ice cold Negro Modelo in a frosty glass would have added something too.

• Like 7

I was wandering around the city centre this morning when I saw this sign.

xi'an 2.jpg

To cut a long story short, it is for a Xi'an food restaurant. Xi'an was the first city I lived in here in China and I loved the food. That was over twenty years ago. When I moved here, thousands of miles from Xi'an, there was a Xi'an restaurant of OK quality, but they were a bit heavy handed with the MSG. It disappeared one Spring Festival never to return.I missed it a lot.

So today when I found this new place today, I was determined to try it out. In passing, I noticed that it claims everything is hand made and no additives are ever used.

xi'an 1.jpg

Xi'an Restaurant

A quick call to my eating companion of choice and we were settled in.

Xia'n is almost bang in the centre of China and is heavily influenced by the Muslim west as well as the Han east. Breads and wheat noodles are staples rather than rice as found in the south. Yet, it is a cosmopolitan city and covers pretty much all the bases  But the menu here is traditional Shaanxi Province dishes (Xi'an is the provincial capital).

We shared a large bowl of  凉 皮 (liáng pí). This literally means Cold Skin, but there is no skin in it. It is completely vegetarian. See link

liangpi1.jpg

Liang Pi

To go with this we shared a  肉 夹 馍 (ròu jiá mò) also known as a Chinese or Xi'an hamburger. This was a pork version as favoured by the Han population. The Muslim population go for beef or lamb. And a very fine example of the genre it was,

roujiamo2.jpg

Rou Jia Mo

Finally we accompanied this with one of China's rare salads - 老 虎 菜 (lǎo hǔ cài). Tiger Salad exists in two unrelated forms. One originates from the north-east of the country; the other, which we ate, from the far west. What they share is that the ingredients supposedly resemble the stripes of the tiger.

shaanxi tiger salad.jpg

Tiger Salad

It was a fine lunch which brought happy memories and I'll certainly return there.

UPDATE: I have translated their menu and posted it here.

Edited by liuzhou
Added link to menu (log)
  • Like 13

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Burnt eggplant with tahini sauce, lemon juice, date molasses (silan), cumin, chili, parsley, paprika.

The eggplants were placed on a gas+coals grill and cooked in the flames until bunt from outside, peeled and topped with flavorings. I've placed it on a pan to heat before serving.

20160402_200043.jpg20160402_200136.jpg

It was served with the bread Iv'e posted about in the bread topic.

20160402_205341.jpg

• Like 6

~ Shai N.

image.jpeg

Mayonnaise-free egg salad on homemade bread. The recipe is from the Leite's Culinaria  newsletter.  You make a garlic-onion jam with olive oil and then mash the hard-boiled eggs into it.   It is very good but it's not "egg salad"  as most of us would recognize it. 

• Like 14

My 2004 eG Blog

15 hours ago, liuzhou said:

It was a fine lunch which brought happy memories and I'll certainly return there.

Beautiful photos and even better description and story. Thank you for sharing all these details and the helpful hot links! 

• Like 1

1/2 doz oysters and a shared shrimp po'boy(dressed) at Acme Oyster House in the French Quarter of the Big Easy, made even better by the news that we missed out on a snow storm back home.

HC

P4040047.JPG

P4040049.JPG

P4040053.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 7

Quiche du yester-jour (spinach, caramelized onion and ricotta) and a green salad dressed with this crème fraîche and preserved lemon dressing from Saveur.

IMG_2720.jpg

The dressing's tangy-salty-creaminess played well with the slightly bitter greens.  I will try the leftovers on steamed broccoli.

• Like 12

On April 2, 2016 at 9:28 AM, Anna N said:

We recently had a discussion on the dinner topic about Berkeley mushrooms so today I had them for lunch over a couple of toasted English muffins. 

image.jpeg

Those look very interesting.  Better picture than on the dinner thread....a close up.  I think I would like the textures and on English muffins for some crunch.  Thanks.

• Like 1

Today was fresh spinach from the market made with a Cook's Illustrated recipe for wilted spinach salad with bacon dressing!  I made a small crab/shrimp cake with the leftover crab we bought today.  I spent most of the day making crab and ricotta cheese cannelloni with a tomato-butter sauce...hope to post that in the dinner thread.  The wilted spinach salad is really easy to make and it would make a great salad for company because you can make almost the whole thing ahead and then just heat up the bacon dressing when ready to serve.  Sorry no picture.

• Like 2

On 3/3/2016 at 9:46 AM, shain said:

Been away from home for a week, with very limited access to ingredients and cooking utensils. Made some things during that time, but mostly nothing noteworthy.
However, I did "cook" some canned tuna (not for me, as I don't eat fish nor meat).

20160302_160109.jpg

It is a known outdoors preparation that I thought you may find interesting. Essentially a piece of paper is inserted into a can of oil-packed tuna and set aflame. The oil in the can burns for a good while (more then half an hour), during which the tuna warms and gets a smokey flavor. The meat eaters among us swears it tastes like grilled young chicken.

Coming up soon at our home: dinner salad with smoked tuna, or maybe smoked tuna salad sandwiches.  Thanks, @shain.  I've seen this trick before but had forgotten about it.

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Quiche du yester-jour (spinach, caramelized onion and ricotta) and a green salad dressed with this crème fraîche and preserved lemon dressing from Saveur.

IMG_2720.jpg

The dressing's tangy-salty-creaminess played well with the slightly bitter greens.  I will try the leftovers on steamed broccoli.

This is beautiful!  My issue of Saveur hasn't caught up to me yet; thank you, @blue_dolphin for the link to the salad dressing.  I have the preserved lemons already; just need to get the crème fraîche ingredients when we shop tomorrow.

Everyone posts such gorgeous photos!  I always get hungry when I read these topics.  

• Like 4

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

6 hours ago, Smithy said:

I have the preserved lemons already; just need to get the crème fraîche ingredients when we shop tomorrow

I made the homemade crème fraîche described in the recipe but after doing so, I think I could just as well have used some of the Mexican crema I had on hand in the fridge.  

One nice thing about that recipe was how easy it was to make a smaller volume:  1/4 c crème fraîche, 1T lemon juice, 1T oil, scant 1T minced preserved lemon, S&P, all into a little jar and shake.  Easy peasy.

Edited by blue_dolphin
to convince autocorrect that I really meant to type "crema" and not cream (log)
  • Like 1

I made myself a feast for lunch today.  Instant Pot sticky marmalade glazed baby back ribs with a potato and asparagus salad dressed with that same Saveur crème fraîche and preserved lemon dressing that I used on the green salad yesterday:

IMG_2743.jpg

• Like 6

@blue_dolphin

Damn I stared at the baby back ribs today  when I had the rare opportunity to visit a grocery store.  Cannot even explain why I didn't buy them.   I am so ready for some ribs.  Yours looks fabulous.  

My 2004 eG Blog

A hamburger steak special at a local diner in a small town where I was working; veggies were candied yams and purple hulled peas. Noteworthy only for a big cornbread muffin which was so sweet I ate it for dessert. 

I read somewhere a treatise on Southern cornbread that contended that typically, African-Americans sweetened cornbread while white southerners did not. (I know we never did.) I also noted in the candied yams a prevalence of clove, which I've generally seen at soul food restaurants. When I was paying my bill, I peered into the kitchen. Sure enough, African American cook.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

3 minutes ago, Anna N said:

@blue_dolphin

Damn I stared at the baby back ribs today  when I had the rare opportunity to visit a grocery store.  Cannot even explain why I didn't buy them.   I am so ready for some ribs.  Yours looks fabulous.  

Thank you!  I'd been intimidated by the big racks of ribs that I usually see for sale so I was delighted to spot that small package yesterday.  It's in the 80s here today (cooling down later in the week) so it was fun to make a summery sort of meal in honor of the weather.

3 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Thank you!  I'd been intimidated by the big racks of ribs that I usually see for sale so I was delighted to spot that small package yesterday.  It's in the 80s here today (cooling down later in the week) so it was fun to make a summery sort of meal in honor of the weather.

Rub it in!  -7°C tonight with snow starting in the early morning!

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

indeed those ribs looked good.

Im fairly sure i have a vac-pac in the basement freezer, one baby back rack..  Ill pull it out.

here  :  12 F tonight.  6 inches of snow on the few daffodils and crocus  I saw before the Great Canadiene Chill came down this way.

• Like 1