• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2015–2016)

BonVivant

@BonVivant

I have likely said it before but your lunches and your photography are both phenomenally good. 

image.jpeg

Should have been dinner but I was too hungry to wait that long.   Crispy braised duck leg with aromatic vegetables. Does anybody else wonder why carrots,  onions and celery are deemed aromatic?  

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

30 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Does anybody else wonder why carrots,  onions and celery are deemed aromatic? 

Yes.

I don't know exactly when, where or why the 'aromatic' descriptor became popular but it's been around a long time.

aromatic.PNG

Source: The Universal Household Assistant: A Cyclopedia of what Everyone Should Know, A. L. Burt, Publisher, New York, 1884.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 4

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

32 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Does anybody else wonder why carrots,  onions and celery are deemed aromatic?  

I don't really know why, but the term has been used for over 500 years. The Oxford English Dictionary's earliest written citation is dated to 1494. It was almost certainly in spoken usage before that.

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

@DiggingDogFarm and @liuzhou

• Thank you!  Really it was strictly a hypothetical question:).  I just don't think of carrots and celery as being aromatic although onion might pass the "smell" test. Hope this doesn't drag us off-topic.  If anyone else feels they must chime in please start another topic.  
  • Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Easter leftovers. Pea salad, ham, deviled eggs, and a caprese, since I still have a couple of Camparis on hte counter and fresh mozzarella in the fridge.

Forgot to take a pic.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I had a duet of salads, a white bean and tuna with lemon vinagrette and my quinoa tabbouleh.  FInished with some fresh pinepple and greek yogurt topped with toasted almond slices.  Beverage was iced hisbiscus tea.  

• Like 2

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Recent lunch. Beans in tomato sauce on rice. Flavored with onion, garlic, malt syrup, many bay leafs, paprika, turmeric, all spice and only two cloves (those are so potent, I might use only one next time...). Finished with plenty of black pepper.

20160325_142328.jpg

Leftovers for today's supper, over a toast (even better).

20160328_195058.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 4

~ Shai N.

image.jpeg

A long, long time ago I used to work at a company where the coffee truck would show up at lunch time each day.  Only very rarely could I afford to buy something from the truck for my lunch and it was always a Jamaican patty.  All these years later and I still  occasionally get a yen for one of those things!   Served with some of the pickles that @HungryChris

explained how to make. 

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

On 3/27/2016 at 10:33 AM, cyalexa said:

I agree - my favorite. I can't get it in OK but @Shelby I have purchased it in KS.

cylexa, hang on Oscar Blues is coming to Oklahoma in April.  Yea us.   

Edited by joiei
correct sentence. (log)

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Indonesian meal for friends who helped cut apricot trees down for firewood....farmer is going with new cherry trees.

Grilled chicken, shrimp chips, deep fried beef slices in curry gravy, curried pork in coconut milk, eggplant, rice which wasn't cooked all the way through and rice noodles with vegetables.  Oh, and some quick pickled cucumbers.

Drag files from your computer here to upload them for use in your post, or choose files... 
Accepted file types jpg, jpeg, png, gif, tiff, pdf, xls, xlsx, doc, docx, tif Insert other media 
Uploaded Images
DSC01310.jpgDSC01311.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Okanagancook said:

Indonesian meal for friends who helped cut apricot trees down for firewood....farmer is going with new cherry trees.

Grilled chicken, shrimp chips, deep fried beef slices in curry gravy, curried pork in coconut milk, eggplant, rice which wasn't cooked all the way through and rice noodles with vegetables.  Oh, and some quick pickled cucumbers.

Drag files from your computer here to upload them for use in your post, or choose files... 
Accepted file types jpg, jpeg, png, gif, tiff, pdf, xls, xlsx, doc, docx, tif Insert other media 
Uploaded Images
DSC01310.jpgDSC01311.jpg

Just wondering, what makes this Indonesian, please?

Edited by huiray (log)

10 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Recipes from The Food of Indonesia:  Authentic Recipes from the Spice Islands by Periplus World Cookbooks and from Charmaine Solomon's Complete Asian Cookbook: Indonesia section.

Ah, I see, thanks. Were there any dishes that had spicing described as distinct from other regional styles, or were they just described as stuff from that nation?

27 minutes ago, huiray said:

Ah, I see, thanks. Were there any dishes that had spicing described as distinct from other regional styles, or were they just described as stuff from that nation?

Just wondering what your motive is for pursuing this line of questioning. If you are aware of a set of written rules of what constitutes Indonesian food perhaps you could share them and produce proof that all Indonesian meals conform to the same rules.   The poster made a meal for friends and shared it with all of us here.  Surely that should be the end of it.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

Huiray, the Indonesian book is indexed on Eat your Books so you can look at the ingredients.  The composition of the meal was modelled after their recommendations for what is usually included at an Indonesian meal:  rice; pickles; shrimp waffers; a samba (I used a commercial Sambal Bajak which I particularly like); a veggie side and then the spicy meat dishes.  We had canned Lychees for dessert along with the last 1/2 glass of our homemade Merlot from 2012.  And that is the last thing I am saying about the meal.

BonVivant:  I have cooked quite a few dishes from this Periplus book and they have turned out really well.  The trick is finding some of the ingredients.  They are relatively easy to make.

Do you use any of the other Periplus books?  I have a couple other ones, likeBali, Myanmar and Santa Fe.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

Just wondering what your motive is for pursuing this line of questioning. If you are aware of a set of written rules of what constitutes Indonesian food perhaps you could share them and produce proof that all Indonesian meals conform to the same rules.   The poster made a meal for friends and shared it with all of us here.  Surely that should be the end of it.

4 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Huiray, the Indonesian book is indexed on Eat your Books so you can look at the ingredients.  The composition of the meal was modelled after their recommendations for what is usually included at an Indonesian meal:  rice; pickles; shrimp waffers; a samba (I used a commercial Sambal Bajak which I particularly like); a veggie side and then the spicy meat dishes.  We had canned Lychees for dessert along with the last 1/2 glass of our homemade Merlot from 2012.  And that is the last thing I am saying about the meal.

Thanks, Okanagancook. That explains it better. As for this "Eat your Books" thing I had to google it to see what it was, I see it is a site where one can look up recipes. (I spend very little time on the cookbook forum here)

AnnaN, I'm not aware of those rigid rules for which you ask. Which was why I asked Okanagancook what made her call it Indonesian.  Rather than Malay, say. (vs. Malaysian, for that matter) Or, even, one of the regional cuisines within "Indonesian". But she clarified that she followed recommendations from a cookbook that designated them as Indonesian, with dishes as enumerated. (I am reminded of how "Nasi Goreng" was initially identified here in an old thread as "Indonesian" rather than a widely-made dish spreading across several regional cuisines)

Edited by huiray
Inserted link to nasi goreng thread (log)

Cauliflower, sauteed in caramelized onions, curry powder (turmeric, cumin, fenugreek, black pepper, paprika, chili), garlic, finished with parsley and coriander. I really like this cooking method, as one can get a really crunchy "al-dente" texture from it, which is hard to get with roasted cauliflower.

The combination of fenugreek and caramelized sweet flavor is a favorite of mine (try fenugreek pancakes with maple syrup).

20160331_142503.jpg

Caramelized onions, sesame seeds, buttermilk and sumac casserole. Very tasty, but slightly over mixed.

20160331_145030.jpg

Not pictured are some very good cucumbers and bell peppers - summer is apparently soon to come :)

• Like 4

~ Shai N.