• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2015–2016)

BonVivant

Lunch a couple of days ago:

DSCN1382.JPG.8ee8d5f07ea2baa1367dcd44f2f

Sandwich made with leftovers from a club I ordered the night before.  Club sandwiches are the most economical thing for me to get at a restaurant (not to mention, I love them).  I eat a 1/4, Mr. Kim eats a 1/4 and the other half comes home to make at least one more meal for me!

• Like 10

Been away from home for a week, with very limited access to ingredients and cooking utensils. Made some things during that time, but mostly nothing noteworthy.
However, I did "cook" some canned tuna (not for me, as I don't eat fish nor meat).

20160302_160109.thumb.jpg.10673fccd18b22

It is a known outdoors preparation that I thought you may find interesting. Essentially a piece of paper is inserted into a can of oil-packed tuna and set aflame. The oil in the can burns for a good while (more then half an hour), during which the tuna warms and gets a smokey flavor. The meat eaters among us swears it tastes like grilled young chicken.

• Like 7

~ Shai N.

15 minutes ago, shain said:

Been away from home for a week, with very limited access to ingredients and cooking utensils. Made some things during that time, but mostly nothing noteworthy.
However, I did "cook" some canned tuna (not for me, as I don't eat fish nor meat).

It is a known outdoors preparation that I thought you may find interesting. Essentially a piece of paper is inserted into a can of oil-packed tuna and set aflame. The oil in the can burns for a good while (more then half an hour), during which the tuna warms and gets a smokey flavor. The meat eaters among us swears it tastes like grilled young chicken.

Coming up soon at our home: dinner salad with smoked tuna, or maybe smoked tuna salad sandwiches.  Thanks, shain.  I've seen this trick before but had forgotten about it.

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

33 minutes ago, shain said:

It is a known outdoors preparation that I thought you may find interesting. Essentially a piece of paper is inserted into a can of oil-packed tuna and set aflame. The oil in the can burns for a good while

(more then half an hour), during which the tuna warms and gets a smokey flavor. The meat eaters among us swears it tastes like grilled young chicken.

Interesting.  I have smoked tuna salad sandwiches planned for lunch but intend to take a much less exciting approach :D

IMG_2607.thumb.jpg.b92e62dbd07cd9a686972

• Like 3

Nice

i recently got some canned tuna

for the TunaFish sand.

its in water

O.o

the first can I open'd  look a bit vile on the top

ate it anyway

I might de-water these cans,  ad some veg.oil and try it

thanks   what an interesting idea

BTW is the paper 'ash' interesting dan le Palate ?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, shain said:

I'd like to try this, what kind of paper do you use ?

• Like 1

image.thumb.jpeg.595b45ebba84b913280c356

Chicken (SV'd), tomato, mayonnaise and my own home-grown microgreens on multigrain sourdough. 

• Like 12

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Looks delicious @BonVivant.  I am, however, puzzled...lardons? Shrimp?  

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Thanks @BonVivant.  What else is sprinkled over mushrooms?

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N's recent post about pasta with tomato, broccoli and SV chicken breast reminded me that my freezer contained not only some chicken breast bagged and ready for SV but also some of the lovely slow roasted tomato sauce that ElainaA posted in the gardening thread so this was lunch:

IMG_2627.thumb.jpg.9b78f829980eca49b3cb4

I added some sliced kalamata olives but that sauce is such a flavorful, garlicky melange, I'm not sure it was necessary.  Now, I need to make some more of that sauce, and with decent little tomatoes available most of the year, there's no reason I can't!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

@Anna N's recent post about pasta with tomato, broccoli and SV chicken breast reminded me that my freezer contained not only some chicken breast bagged and ready for SV but also some of the lovely slow roasted tomato sauce that ElainaA posted in the gardening thread so this was lunch:

IMG_2627.thumb.jpg.9b78f829980eca49b3cb4

I added some sliced kalamata olives but that sauce is such a flavorful, garlicky melange, I'm not sure it was necessary.  Now, I need to make some more of that sauce, and with decent little tomatoes available most of the year, there's no reason I can't!

OMG this looks good and i'm so glad you posted it.  I totally forgot that I have a batch of that sauce in the freezer.  Now that will be a nice taste of summer soon :) 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shelby said:

OMG this looks good and i'm so glad you posted it.  I totally forgot that I have a batch of that sauce in the freezer.  Now that will be a nice taste of summer soon :) 

@ElainaA's  recipe is a keeper!  The slow roasting concentrates the tomato flavor and mellows the garlic just enough.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BonVivant said:

Anna N, chopped up cucumber, beetroot, tomatoes and coriander. The mushrooms were meaty (and meaty tasting) and shrimps were salty enough.

Thank you.  I thought I saw some bacon lardons in there but I'm guessing it was the beetroot. 

My 2004 eG Blog

rotuts - Never, ever green peppers!  No celery, either, if Momma makes it.  I don't mind a little celery, chopped fine and sauteed.  I detest big crunchy hunks of it in soup. This soup is just potatoes, carrots, peas, corn, green beans and cabbage.  Simmered long with canned tomatoes and some pasta added towards the end.  I sometimes grate some Parm over the top before serving.  Or I'll toss in a rind if I have it.

• Like 4