• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2015–2016)

BonVivant

toasted American cheese sandwich with tomato on white bread.  with some chicken broth.  

great taste BUT      

now have to rethink about cheese products

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Like 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

@Anna N, your spicy peanut sauce and today's hot weather made me want some cold noodles with spicy peanut sauce but I'm apparently out of the Chinese noodles I like for that dish.

So a made a spicy peanut slaw with a "Cruciferous Crunch" mix (kale, brussels sprouts, broccoli, green and red cabbage) from Trader Joe's to accompany one of their frozen crab cakes and some raw baby carrots:

IMG_2556.thumb.jpg.09b85c7918694fbfdf0e0

The curious colored citrus is a lime that's been hanging on my tree long enough to turn almost yellow - just enough green left to look neon! 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

The curious colored citrus is a lime that's been hanging on my tree long enough to turn almost yellow - just enough green left to look neon! 

Since you are lucky to have ripe limes, can you please tell me if there is any quality of unripe limes that gets lost in their yellow stage? I'll assume they turn more juicy, and perhaps more sweet and less tart?

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

11 minutes ago, shain said:

more juicy, and perhaps more sweet and less tart?

You are correct.  I think they are at their very best at this stage when the skin is mostly yellow with just a blush of green remaining,  the flesh is still pale green and they are bursting with juice.  Is "blush of green" an oxymoron?  I dunno.  But at that stage, they are more juicy but still lime-y.  When the skin gets all the way yellow, and the flesh starts to fade towards yellow, they become less tart and lime-y.  At some point after they get really yellow, some of the pith that runs down the center can start to turn brown and they aren't as good with some bitterness creeping in.  That's all my 2 cents :D - I have one lime tree and am no expert!

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 2

@blue_dolphin Thank you for the info, while there are great citrus fruits in my region, it seems that nobody grows limes... I'm going to plant a tree this month, hopefully I'll soon have some fruits :) And now I'll also know that it is indeed better to pick them ripe, I always wondered why someone would prefer under ripe fruits...

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

kayb – a favorite snack for my mother and I when we cut up cabbage is to stand over the sink with a salt shaker and the core and munch!

Tere – no need to apologize with a picture like that.  What a gorgeous piece of pork.  Nevermind that you live in my favorite place in the world – Britain.  We didn’t get as far up as Shropshire, but hope to some day!

Jessica came over for lunch the other day:

DSCN1278.JPG.ee392fa988c76b5fd4fcc825065

Gooey grilled cheese – American, Provolone and mozzarella with Dijon.

Yesterday’s lunch:

DSCN1306.JPG.93a3598bd07fe593fdc913772d4

Purchased chicken salad on some nice whole wheat flatbread pockets that I found.

• Like 10

18 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I know - doesn't that look good!  It's even raining here so maybe tomato soup and grilled cheese for supper?

sadly I am on a 2 day on 5 and 2. And will resist. Cheese on toast / toasted cheese sandwiches and white wine (not together) are my Kryptonite but I will try my best :)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, HungryChris said:

I normally open and eat these one at a time at the kitchen sink, but this time I changed the format for the sake of posting. Noank Oysters.

IMG_0238.thumb.JPG.05b2574a335df12c489d8

Very nice, HungryChris. There is nothing like Atlantic oysters, and fortunately, I can get them in the R months. I know we are killing the inland folks who can't. :sorry: I'm going to get another half-peck soon. It costs about $13 from the fish monger in walking distance. That's just for me, because husband prefers their fried fish. Larger quantities of oysters are even cheaper if one wants to have an oyster roast for company.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

Another miserable weekend. Nothing but rain, gale-force winds and it is also cold. This soupy thing makes the day a bit brighter (after my bread and several cheeses, of course).

Wallpaper paste looking

OpFAQlV.jpg

Beef balls are lurking somewhere

keBH2aw.jpg

Crunchy preserved mustard tubers and bamboo shoots

L2ujnwx.jpg

• Like 7

image.thumb.jpeg.4fdda7b7b6f3ec32be89494

Well-seasoned ground beef on home-made flat bread with some garlicky drained yogourt.  Lamb would've been better.

• Like 11

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Forgot to take a picture, but....

Reubens, since I had homemade rye bread. Oddly, grocery didn't have corned beef brisket in the Boar's Head brand, which is my preferred brand in these parts (meaning outside the range of a damn good Jewish deli), but only corned top round, which was pretty good, too.

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

@scubadoo97

I was certainly aiming in that direction :D

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Roasted poblano cream soup from More Mexican Everyday.  Garnished with roasted corn, red bell pepper and crema:

IMG_2588.thumb.jpg.935be710994eafec2eda2

Along side is a piece of TJ's whole wheat flatbread smeared with green chile adobo, sprinkled with queso fresco and toasted.

Edited by blue_dolphin
spelling (log)
  • Like 8