• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2015–2016)

BonVivant

Anna N - I hope that tastes as good as it looks because I am definitely making that - probably tomorrow!

Don't over cook the egg as I did!

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

On a number of occasions I have attempted to make salads a bigger part of my meals. Despite plenty of evidence to the contrary I continued to equate salad with "rabbit food".  My salads were boring, thrown together with little thought and the idea of eating them more often was soon jettisoned.   I am hoping I have turned the corner finally.  Inspired by Salad Love, the blog and the book, I have been enjoying salads for lunch, dinner and sometimes both.  I was very much afraid that I had no clue what might work and what would be inedible.  Surprise surprise!   Most things one finds in salads seem to make friends fairly quickly.  Following David Bez' building blocks of greens or grains as a base, a couple of fruits or vegetables, one or two sources of protein, a garnish of seeds grains or what have you and a pleasing home made dressing has worked for me so far. 

• Like 6

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I went to amazon and had a look at the book.  There was no "peak inside" which was too bad for me, so I'll just have to accept Anna's endorsement.  No hardship there.  I like really interesting salads but don't know much about making them, so this book could show me the way.

Edited to add:  according to Amazon, he has a book on breakfast coming out in January called "Breakfast Love:  Perfect Little 

Salad Bowls for Quick and Easy Breakfasts".

Edited by ElsieD
adding the comment on his new book (log)

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

I went to amazon and had a look at the book.  There was no "peak inside" which was too bad for me, so I'll just have to accept Anna's endorsement.  No hardship there.  I like really interesting salads but don't know much about making them, so this book could show me the way.

Edited to add:  according to Amazon, he has a book on breakfast coming out in January called "Breakfast Love:  Perfect Little 

Salad Bowls for Quick and Easy Breakfasts".

There is a "look inside". Just change formats. This is not a recipe book!   There is a photograph of the salad and a list of ingredients but nothing more.   I tell you that so you will not be disappointed.  

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

There is a "look inside". Just change formats. This is not a recipe book!   There is a photograph of the salad and a list of ingredients but nothing more.   I tell you that so you will not be disappointed.  

Thanks, Anna.  I went back to it using Chrome and got a good look at the book.  He uses combinations that I would never think of.  I can see where, with the addition of some protein these salads would make very nice meals.  I don't need another cookbook, but I do still have a $50 Amazon gift certificate.......

image.jpeg

leftover chuck eye on just-baked six seed bread with a side of creamed broccoli (leftover from Instant Pot experiment). 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg.967f00d205343250b9c519560040d

Doesn't look very exciting but it was tasty. Belgian endive, radicchio, red onion and blue cheese with a simple vinaigrette. 

Edited by Anna N
And attempt to remove a double image. (log)
  • Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

Lunch last week at So Khaeng restaurant near the crab market in Kep.

We shared stir fried crab with fresh green Kampot pepper clusters and scallions, plus boiled crab with a black pepper and lime dipping sauce....so yum.

image.jpeg

They keep the crabs fresh in baskets, and wade out to get them as required.

image.jpeg

Or there's fabulous street food.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by sartoric
Remove erroneous photo. (log)
  • Like 15

image.jpeg.c2ce0f732d646f7472a2bf1bcadab

Fried rice. (Note to self: not all leftover rice lends itself to this treatment. Those raisins really were out of place!)

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

Picked up carryout t'other night from the local barbecue purveyor. Decided I didn't want it. Had lunch from it the next day.

20151218_123307_zps2yfhqqvs.jpg.html?o=6

This is one of the better carryout deals I've found. The "Buddy Pack" nets you a pound of pulled pork, four big buns, and a pint each of baked beans, slaw and potato salad, along with sauce, for a bit more than $20.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 24 November 2015 at 1:56 PM, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Everyone's lunches look so good!

I was especially taken by sartoric's feast in Myanmar.

I didn't know what Shan chips were, never having heard of them before, and went to ask Mr. Google. There's evidence that they are made with chana dal flour, but I also found this YouTube video about a Myanmar/Burma factory that makes and packages them for distribution and sale with potatoes:

This factory operates almost completely in the open air, with much of the work done without the benefit of a roof. The chips are dried in the sun on the ground on tarps, then fried over a wood fire, and drained in a grass or bamboo basket. Don't miss the part where the individual bags of finished product are sealed with what looks like a candle or lamp flame. I hoped others might find it interesting as well.

Thanks for this, very interesting !

We had Ronnie's kids and grandkids over yesterday to do Christmas (I'm FREE for the whole week now...I can bake and veg out...and bake...and drink wine.... :)  ).   They came over about 1 in the afternoon so I decided to do some brunchy stuff to eat.

I only bought this tortellini because it was Christmas colored lol.  A pasta salad with salami, cheese cubes and  olive oil marinated cherry tomatoes from the garden last summer.  I made a light vinaigrette dressing to go over it.

PC200999.JPG.d03aadbbc99117bfe80071be5ba

Biscuits and sausage gravy (I kept the gravy warm in the Instant Pot...worked like a charm)

PC201001.JPG.170977667255818f2b368752037

PC201005.JPG.91a6f2d4658f4f7fd819e28d928

Pickle dip (first time making this.  OMG we loved it.  Used pickles that I made last summer) and pretzels, little cheeses and M&M's :)

PC201002.JPG.a84c87d14624dbf9435503f67b4

Ham, mushroom, broccoli, cheese breakfast casserole.  I think I used a dozen eggs.  O.o

PC201006.JPG.1a3c917b9efc006bcad600c8dee

Cinnamon rolls.  No one touched them ....oh well, more for me lol.

PC201003.JPG.33b0fb9745aa86ccbe86df3ca70

My little drink-station set up .....mimosas were flowing :) (for the grown ups of course)

PC201004.JPG.ab6597075152b34c333e9e69685

• Like 7

Some times simple is best. SV'de short rib sandwich with fleur de sel. 

image.jpeg.9445ad3bd6d2a524f951be1ad516f

Edited by Anna N
Changed spare ribs to short rib. (log)
  • Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog