• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2015 – 2016)

Shelby

Oh, I'm so pleased to see the stone fruits coming in!

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

@DianaM Gorgeous picture. I like my oatmeal cookies somewhere between a crisp granola bar and a cakey cookie; baked completely dry and crisp, no chewy cookies for me please ^_^
Also, I opt for fruits and nuts rather then chocolate.

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

This is Flo Braker's version of the retro Tunnel Of Fudge cake. I've been dying to make it for ages, mostly because of Flo's idea to make it in a Pullman loaf pan, and I love the shape of it. (I make angel food cake in a Pullman pan as well, it comes out perfect.) The cake itself, well, I'm not crazy about the fudgy part, the baking time is too long (I took it out of the oven 10 minutes before her recommended time, and it's still a bit overdone) and I would flavor the vanilla part a bit more. But everyone else liked it. I'm just a kvetch. I just had to try it and get it out of my system. xD

Tunnel of Fudge Cake.jpg

• Like 12

6 hours ago, RWood said:

Gum paste daisies for two birthday cakes.  One for Claragene's 80th and Tillie's 90th :).

image.jpeg

RWood, I can almost smell those daisies they are so realistic. I'm glad they are made of gum paste, because real daisies don't smell very appetizing to me. :)

Beautiful work and very lovely cakes.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

The wedding was yesterday. Mocha cake, naked, filled with cappuccino ICBM and butter praline walnut chunks, topped with chocolate lacquer and dusted with gold. The fresh flowers are mini-roses, freesias, and hypericum, and four wild orchids.

IMG_20160521_103138.jpg

IMG_20160521_103236.jpg

IMG_20160521_103120.jpg

• Like 13

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Wow, what a cake! 

But I gotta ask.  @Panaderia Canadiense - ICBM?  Surely not intercontinental ballistic missile, but what?

Oh shoot, that's one of my most common typos. It's actually Italian Merengue Buttercream, but honestly I even write ICBM on my storage tubs of it.

@gfron1 - just the bottom tier was 35cm in diameter and weighed around 40 lbs. The whole thing was close to 100 lbs all told.

Edited by Panaderia Canadiense (log)
  • Like 3

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

On May 21, 2016 at 5:12 AM, shain said:

Biscotti with pistachios, almonds, lemon zest and olive oil. I should have sliced them thinner, but yet, very tasty.

DSCF5846.JPGDSCF5849.JPG

Looks lovely. I'm into making biscotti lately, especially made with olive oil. Can you post the recipe?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Katie Meadow said:

Looks lovely. I'm into making biscotti lately, especially made with olive oil. Can you post the recipe?

Sure, I'll post it tomorrow.

~ Shai N.

15 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

Here you go. 

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

20 minutes ago, kriz6912 said:

- Shortbread, dulce de leche, milk chocolate

Follow me on Instagram: @KrisSchoofsChocolates

Dulce Cookie_400.jpg

Looks superb! It is known locally as "Millionairs Shortbread".

• Like 1

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.