• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2015 – 2016)

Shelby

Flour-less cake for the family Passover dinner.

Grated coconut and chocolate, with chopped toasted walnuts, some sweet wine and coffee. Sloppily frosted with coffee-vanilla whipped cream.

Served chilled, it has a lovely flavor with all ingredients melding together. The texture is slightly coarse and not heavy, very moist. The slightly bitter coffee in the whipped cream counter it's heaviness and compliments the nutty cake.

This is a recipe that my mother used to make for passover and sometimes for birthdays when I was younger and we will surely keep making it :) 

DSCF5676.JPG

• Like 9

~ Shai N.

image.jpeg

I was gifted an amazing artisanal chai mix  which I have been enjoying as a drink but I wanted to do something more with it.   So today I brewed a cup making it quite a bit stronger than usual and made this tea loaf. I also needed to use up bits from my baking cupboard so it has raisins, currants, apricots  and some crystallized ginger in it. Unlike the one I usually make, this one also calls for an egg.  As soon as it is fully cooled I will wrap it in parchment for 24 hours but I'm really dying to slice into it. 

• Like 10

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Spring Dessert Sampler for a chef group that came in for a luncheon. 

Rustic almond cake, roasted strawberries, olive oil ice cream with brown butter crumble, chilled vanilla rhubarb soup with creme fraiche panna cotta, candied pistachios and strawberry tuile, strawberry, white chocolate and rose water macaron and strawberry basil pate de fruit.

image.jpeg

• Like 11

@RWood

I claim to be a "no dessert for me" person but I would love to try your dessert sampler.  It  looks scrumptious.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Everything always looks so amazing on these threads--a bit intimidating!  Maybe I'll up my baking and photography on here :)

After reading through an old series of posts, I decided to make a tarte grenobloise, or something inspired by it.  I swapped the crust for David Lebovitz' tart crust (so easy!) and used a mix of pecans and walnuts.  Only major thing I want to change is to take the caramel a bit darker next time--and according to my taste-testers this recipe needs to be repeated!

image.jpeg

• Like 16

I was in a need of something sweet and quick, but substantial and preferably warm. So I made a "chocolate omelette". It does not really contains chocolate, only coca powder and honey. I've never seen one before, but I quite like it. An omelette has a creamy and fluffy texture that suits for a dessert. Really quick to make.

20160428_222038.jpg

2 eggs

1 full teaspoon cocoa

2 teaspoons water or milk

2-3 teaspoons honey / sugar / brown sugar / what ever (adjust to taste, I used 2 teaspoons, which is just gently sweet and I think is quite right)

a pinch of salt

some vanilla if desired

butter for pan

Whisk cocoa with a 2 teaspoons water or milk to make a thick paste (otherwise it will clump).
Add eggs and flavorings, including honey/sugar. Whisk well.

Cook an omelette (french style - keep it juicy).

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 4

~ Shai N.

Pies are another thing I don't do very much. My step father's 79th birthday is in a couple of weeks, but we're all going to Las Vegas that weekend, so I made him strawberry rhubarb pie instead of a cake a little early. He is crazy about rhubarb, and complains he never gets it. 

image.jpeg

• Like 15

I am on a quest for venoisserie perfection. The goal here tonight was not just kougin amann, but kouignettes, in the style of Maison Georges Larnicol. In the future, I will embellish with chocolate, and framboise, and praline, and pistachio. But for the first kiss, it is only butter and sugar and caramel. Deep, rich, caramel, pulled only at the last moment. 

IMG_2122_result.JPG

IMG_2130_result.JPG

Edited by Patrick S (log)
  • Like 20

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

- Coconut dacquoise, white chocolate mousse, raspberry, lime

- Sweet shortcrust pastry, passion fruit dark chocolate mousse, crispearls, milk chocolate ganache
- Almond cake, Madagascar 67% dark chocolate mousse

300. TOR Velvet Red (P).jpg

300.Crispy Square (P).jpg

300.Pavoni Origine (P).jpg

Edited by kriz6912 (log)
  • Like 20

Simplicity here today. My first attempt at pistachio ameretti. These took only minutes to make based on a recipe from the cestmafournee blog: http://www.cestmafournee.com/2016/04/les-amaretti-moelleux-la-pistache.html#more

I added the tiniest amount of green colouring, my pistachio paste is home made and the biscuits wouldn't have had the colour of those on the blog without a little help. Having read that people had struggled to shape the individual pieces I just put the entire mix into a piping bag, cut the end and they came out nicely. I sprinkled them with a little icing sugar before baking.

image.jpeg

They are delicious. 12 quickly became 10. 

• Like 14

Double chocolate roulade. Another family recipe from my youth, I used to love "helping" my mom to make this cake as a child, especially rolling the baked sheet cake in a moist towel. I still do ^_^

20140424_110256.jpg

• Like 14

~ Shai N.

Morher's day desserts have been 

a classic Italian: mimosa cake (mimosa flower is what you give as gift on Woman's day in Italy)

image.jpegimage.jpeg

and again apples and puffy pastry, and in detail puff-pastry, pan di spagna, pastry cream and apples 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 17

For Mother's Day dessert, I needed something a bit simpler. I ended up making crepes Suzette. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 16

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Here is a slice of rustic peach tart I made a couple of weeks ago with local peaches that were absolutely delicious. I made a saffron-peach jam with the rest.

Rustic peach tart

Edited to add: a picture of the entire tart

Rustic peach tart

Edited by FrogPrincesse
added link (log)
  • Like 10