• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2015 – 2016)

Shelby

For the July 4th party, made cheesecake. Served some with strawberry Grand Marnier sauce, and some with chocolate creme anglaise and diced vanilla marshmallow. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 14

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Some nibbles.  Sweet & Spicy Walnuts, 3 ways.  Clockwise from upper left are crispy lemon candied walnuts, spicy orange candied walnuts and @JAZ's spicy sweet walnuts.

The spicy sweet walnuts are delicious as always.  The lemon walnuts are quite nice with a delicate lemon flavor.  The orange version was pretty much a bust.  I don't think the orange syrup added anything more than some bitterness.  Perhaps the citrus flavor was masked by the cayenne.  I dunno, but I was disappointed as I'd hoped they would be more interesting.

IMG_3257.jpg

Over on Serious Eats, Stella's been touting a lemon syrup made from leftover juiced lemon rinds and used it to make citrus candied pistachios.   After juicing some nice big lemons to make hummus the other day, I decided to give it a try and made lemon and orange versions of the syrup.  The lemon is nice.  The orange yielded much less syrup from the same weight of peels and it was more bitter and less fragrant as well.  Perhaps that was due to the citrus that I used. The oranges were fresh off my tree and had sweet juice but they were small fruits.  

I wouldn't go too far out of my way to make these syrups again, but maybe if I'm making limoncello I'd go for another round. 

IMG_3259.jpg

Syrups in hand, I went ahead and used both to make a small batch of candied walnuts.  I followed the general method for the spicy sweet walnuts because I think that initial bath in boiling water hydrates the walnuts so the sugar syrup coats them more evenly and allows them to withstand enough baking time to cook the syrup without burning.

I included cayenne in the orange as I thought the orange-spice combo would be nice and I tossed the lemon version in confectioners sugar as in the Serious Eats version.

• Like 10

These chocolate chip cookies are so good! I used whole Valrhona Satilia Feves, whole pecans and Maldon sea salt sprinkled on top.  Took care of the chocolate fit for sure :).

image.jpeg

• Like 16

Beautiful menagerie, DianaM! I have made them several times, but your details are much more well-defined. What kind of flour did you use? My elephants would often end up with their heads chopped off after I pressed the plunger to make the contours! 

6 hours ago, cakewalk said:

Beautiful menagerie, DianaM! I have made them several times, but your details are much more well-defined. What kind of flour did you use? My elephants would often end up with their heads chopped off after I pressed the plunger to make the contours! 

Thank you, @cakewalk. Yes, that plunger got very light action, otherwise we too got dismembered animals. :blink::biggrin:

The flour is a mix; the bulk of it is large flake oats and raw buckwheat groats pulverized in the blender and mixed with almond meal, and there is also arrowroot starch to lighten things a bit. Recipe here

For my kids birthdays this has become the cake, cannot make any other. 3 layers of sponge cake, soaked with a lemony strawberry syrup, filled with strawberry white chocolate ganache (which I lighten up with some whipped cream) fresh cut strawberries. The glaze is a white chocolate from Paco Torreblanca

image.jpeg

• Like 18

For this morning I made schiacciata fiorentina, I clearly remember talking about this cake with Mjx. The interesting thing that is done with yeast instead of baking powder but the batter has the thickness of cake and not of brioche.

schiacciata1.JPG

schiacchiata2.JPG

• Like 16

Satongo 72% dark chocolate mousse, vanilla sponge cake insert, crispy feuilletine & praliné bottom

I also created a small video of the process, nothing spectacular though... :) https://www.instagram.com/p/BHtjsWKBPnc/

041. Satongo_400.jpg

Edited by kriz6912 (log)
  • Like 10

9 minutes ago, DianaB said:

@kriz6912 can't get the video to play from your link, result looks beautifully nonetheless. 

Thanks, DianaB. :) 

It's strange that the link to the video isn't working, it's just a regular link to Instagram and works fine over here.

Another way you might be able to view the video is to go to the 2nd link shown in my footer. This should lead you to an overview page where also the video is listed.

• Like 1

On 6 July 2016 at 3:58 AM, Patrick S said:

For the July 4th party, made cheesecake. Served some with strawberry Grand Marnier sauce, and some with chocolate creme anglaise and diced vanilla marshmallow. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Is there any possibility to hear about this cheesecake and the recipe for it? It looks so delicious to this fan of cheesecakes...

• Like 5

8 hours ago, EsaK said:

Is there any possibility to hear about this cheesecake and the recipe for it? It looks so delicious to this fan of cheesecakes...

Certainly. I used chef Eddy Van Damme's recipe, which incorporates Greek yogurt along with cream cheese. Sounds a little crazy, but it's awesome, and yields a fantastic texture. The recipe is at:

http://www.chefeddy.com/2013/03/creamy-cheesecake/

i I baked in rectangular frames, over vanilla wafer crust, in a water bath, to an internal temperature of 150f, then turned off the heat, opened the door, and let cool slowly in the oven for about an hour before removing. 

Edited by Patrick S (log)
  • Like 4

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Blueberries and cream cookies from Momofuku Milk Bar recipe, and a variation using dried peach rather than blueberry. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 12

@kriz6912 is your fruit mousse based on a Christophe Felder recipe?  It looks similar to one I've been tempted to try but not yet attempted due too many problems with other recipes of his that I have attempted.

Also, is the recipe for your previous dessert available?  It looks stunning.  Perhaps beyond my competence but would love to have a go.

Really enjoying your photos.

25 minutes ago, DianaB said:

@kriz6912 is your fruit mousse based on a Christophe Felder recipe?  It looks similar to one I've been tempted to try but not yet attempted due too many problems with other recipes of his that I have attempted.

Also, is the recipe for your previous dessert available?  It looks stunning.  Perhaps beyond my competence but would love to have a go.

Really enjoying your photos.

Thanks, DianaB. :) The fruit mousse consists out of an Italian meringue, passion fruit puree, whipped cream & gelatine. It was very easy to make and I think it turned out great. The other dessert, I think you're referring to the Demarle Charlotte mould (the one where there are some chocolate feathers in the picture), is also a very basic recipe. If you like I can give you all details on both recipes?

By the way, if you look at my 2nd instagram feed (see footer) you can see cross sections of the patisserie in question so you get an idea of what's inside.

Edited by kriz6912 (log)
  • Like 1

@kriz6912  The second link does work for me, most impressed by all the pictures.  I meant to say before that I thought the White chocolate feathers were superb.  I appreciate white chocolate is not the easiest to work with.

Will PM re the recipes.

Edited by DianaB (log)

3 open jars of various types of peanut butter so ..... my great grandmother's recipe for peanut butter cookies with my twist.  Coarse chopped 72% chocolate.

Peaches have just started to come in.  Got some south Jersey peaches and some from the orchard where I shopped.  Sliced up two whites and one regular peach, added a handful or two of blueberries then sprinkled with some toast dope and made John's grandmother's kuchen.  There is a little juice left from the peaches and toast dope that I'm thinking I'll drizzle over the finished cake or mix with some confectioners sugar to drizzle.

Host's note: this topic is split into multiple parts to reduce the load on our servers; click here for the next delicious installment!

Edited by Smithy
Added host's note (log)
  • Like 5

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites