• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2015 – 2016)

Shelby

28 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Hey Kerry, that link takes me to caramelised cocoa nibs. The original question was for candied cocoa nibs.

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

16 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Hey Kerry, that link takes me to caramelised cocoa nibs. The original question was for candied cocoa nibs.

Oops - missed that. The first stage they go through when you caramelize them is for the sugar to dissolve, then it crystallizes again. Stopping there would give you candied nibs. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jim D. said:

How do you candy cocoa nibs?  Sounds intriguing.

I used the same method as for coating nuts - I think Greweling outlines it. Sugar + a little water, cook to (I don't know, soft crack? I eyeball it), add your solid bits to be coated, stir until sugar crystallizes and bits separate, keep stirring over heat until sugar starts to caramelize, add a bit of cocoa butter to lubricate & keep things separate as they cool. 

7 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

I used the same method as for coating nuts - I think Greweling outlines it. Sugar + a little water, cook to (I don't know, soft crack? I eyeball it), add your solid bits to be coated, stir until sugar crystallizes and bits separate, keep stirring over heat until sugar starts to caramelize, add a bit of cocoa butter to lubricate & keep things separate as they cool. 

I'm assuming the nibs (or nuts) would not stay crisp in a cream ganache.  I did discover recently that toasted pistachios are OK in a ganache--but pistachios are never all that crisp to start with.

1 hour ago, Jim D. said:

I'm assuming the nibs (or nuts) would not stay crisp in a cream ganache.  I did discover recently that toasted pistachios are OK in a ganache--but pistachios are never all that crisp to start with.

You are correct - but they do fine in a butter ganache. I use my a milk chocolate butter ganache with the caramelized cocoa nibs and they stay nice and crisp. 

• Like 1

Sadly I seldom seem to read this topic.

Munavalgekook05302016.png

Almond cardamom munavalgegook.  I bake munavalgekook about as often as I make ice cream.  Ice cream would be a lot easier otherwise.

Hope I remember to take the cake off the blanket before I get in bed tonight.

Edited by Smithy
Third attempt to add image. (log)
  • Like 8

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Satisfied my fusiphilia by making Nutella-brioche muffins, "Bruffins." 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 14

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Second go at custard tart - was looking for something a little less creme brûlée in pastry than the last attempt - wanted more flan in a pastry.

IMG_2259 (1).jpg

Spent the day at Goûter with @alleguede - played with the sheeter to roll the pastry. I do love toys!

The custard didn't seem to be setting after a whole lot of additional time - turned out the gas was not on to the convection oven! Was able to bake for about 30 minutes before I had to pop it in the car for the ride home - gave it another 40 minutes but it was still very jiggly. Cut it anyway after refrigeration - I think it might actually have been a little overcooked judging from the bubbles. But it is more the texture I was after - flan like.

IMG_2262.jpg

• Like 12

Gorgeous, gfron1!  I wish I could be there for that party and cake.

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Rob,

May your last night of Kumquat be a memorable one and I hope that you, your staff and guests have a fantastic party and celebrate the life of your creation. Although stuck in Africa, I raise my glass from afar and wish you well in your future endeavours. Cheers! It has been great "riding along" with you during your journey.

John in Cape Town.

• Like 10

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

1 hour ago, JohnT said:

Rob,

May your last night of Kumquat be a memorable one and I hope that you, your staff and guests have a fantastic party and celebrate the life of your creation. Although stuck in Africa, I raise my glass from afar and wish you well in your future endeavours. Cheers! It has been great "riding along" with you during your journey.

John in Cape Town.

What a lovely way to phrase it.  I wholeheartedly second this.  Best wishes and drink some champagne for us!

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, Shelby said:

What a lovely way to phrase it.  I wholeheartedly second this.  Best wishes and drink some champagne for us!

And I'm hoping we'll all be along for the ride as Rob begins his new adventure in St. Louis. 

• Like 11

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

And I'm hoping we'll all be along for the ride as Rob begins his new adventure in St. Louis. 

Simply a me too!  

• Like 1

Captain America: Civil War cake for my cosplayer friend. I put lights under the arc reactor :). She kept saying all night, "my cake lights up" :). 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 17