• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2015 – 2016)

Shelby

Inspired by Shain's babka, and given my own recent infatuation with laminated doughs, I tried it myself, mostly following the NYT recipe but omitting the streusel. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 10

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Baklava with almonds and hazelnuts,cinnamon, and a some coffee and cardamon. Drizzled syrup with honey, rose water aand lemon juice. Topped with powdered pistachios. I use a moderate amount of syrup with a touch of salt and lemon acidity to keep the baklava crisp and gently sweet (compared to too many cloyingly sweet and sticky versions).

DSCF5795.JPGDSCF5807.JPGDSCF5800.JPG

• Like 12

~ Shai N.

image.jpeg

Very simple chocolate pudding but I expect it will be devoured with joy by my teenaged granddaughter this evening. I may get fancy with some whipped cream before I servevit to her. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 15

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 4/6/2016 at 4:55 PM, Ann_T said:

Oli,  when you say cut, do you mean that you just pull  or do you actually cut?

We just cut them.

@jmacnaughtan

I truly think they are the most gorgeous gougères that I have ever seen. 

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Banana bread (it's nice to be able to call a cake "bread", it makes eating plenty of it feel almost healthy :) ) 

Had to make it before the weather gets too hot. Banana bread is a cold weather food for me, I like it best warmed or lightly toasted with a cup of hot tea.

Iv'e used overly ripe bananas, which I froze a while ago, toasted walnuts and dehydrated banana chunks (which are yummy in this cake, better then raisins and chocolate IMO). For flavoring, mostly brown sugar, cinnamon, orange zest and a little ginger.

20160415_205919.jpg20160415_214523.jpg20160415_214718.jpg

• Like 8

~ Shai N.

37 minutes ago, shain said:

Banana bread (it's nice to be able to call a cake "bread", it makes eating plenty of it feel almost healthy :) ) 

Had to make it before the weather gets too hot. Banana bread is a cold weather food for me, I like it best warmed or lightly toasted with a cup of hot tea.

Iv'e used overly ripe bananas, which I froze a while ago, toasted walnuts and dehydrated banana chunks (which are yummy in this cake, better then raisins and chocolate IMO). For flavoring, mostly brown sugar, cinnamon, orange zest and a little ginger.

shain, do you make those dehydrated banana chunks yourself? If not, could you post some info about the commercial product? (I'm assuming you don't mean those ubiquitous banana chips.)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

14 minutes ago, Alex said:

shain, do you make those dehydrated banana chunks yourself? If not, could you post some info about the commercial product? (I'm assuming you don't mean those ubiquitous banana chips.)

I do not make them myself. They are labeled as organic bananas and I bought them in bulk. It looks something like that:

CA2400.jpg

It smells somewhat nasty and has an unpleasantly chewy texture. But once saoked in water, they are delicious, very sweet and raisin like, with mild banana flavor.

I do however have a soft spot for banana chips :) 

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 2

~ Shai N.

3 minutes ago, shain said:

I do not make them myself. They are labeled as organic bananas and I bought them in bulk. It looks something like that:

CA2400.jpg

It smells somewhat nasty and has an unpleasantly chewy texture. But once saoked in water, they are delicious, very sweet and raisin like, with mild banana flavor.

I do however have a soft spot for banana chips :) 

Wow -- I've never seen anything like that around here. Where are you located? What kind of store sells them?

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

22 minutes ago, Alex said:

Wow -- I've never seen anything like that around here. Where are you located? What kind of store sells them?

I'm far away in Israel. But even over here it's not common, I stumbled on them in a health store kinda place and wanted to try. I almost throw it away at first, but then I tried cooking with it and there you go.

~ Shai N.

Brioche honey sticky buns, without the pecans, from Dorie Greenspan's "Baking: From my Home to Yours." This was one of the first recipes I made from that book (Dorie, being the amazing and generous person that she is, sent me a copy back in 2006). Making this the other night really caused me to reflect back on days past here on eGullet, about Wendy and Neil and all the amazing, passionate folks I got to learn from in those early years. The brioche is very rich, with the butter at a baker's percentage of 70%. The dough has such a gorgeous sheen, such a voluptuous feel in the hand. I confess to eating about 3 of these right out of the oven, and feeling no guilt about it. I hope you all have a wonderful weekend.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 14

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

With the other half of the brioche batch I made cinnamon rolls with cream cheese icing. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 10