• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2015 – 2016)

Shelby

Franci,

Now you "just" need to write a cookbook. I actually don't have much of a sweet tooth, but I always want some of whatever baked goods you post here.

Best of luck with your business.

• Like 4

I have had the good fortune to try Franci's cakes - she brought some for Anna and I when she was in Toronto last year. Gotta say - they were fabulous! I was particularly taken by the limoncello cake. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, LindaK said:

Franci,

Now you "just" need to write a cookbook. I actually don't have much of a sweet tooth, but I always want some of whatever baked goods you post here.

Best of luck with your business.

Ah, ah, that's what my husband says. Linda, I honesty don't have a very sweet tooth myself and irony of it, of course it that in cooking school pastry was dread station :D

20 hours ago, Shelby said:

Franci, I'm wowed!  Each cake looks perfect.  One can tell that you really enjoy what you do :) .  When you start selling over the internet, I'll be your first order.

Shelby, you are really such a nice person!

8 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I have had the good fortune to try Franci's cakes - she brought some for Anna and I when she was in Toronto last year. Gotta say - they were fabulous! I was particularly taken by the limoncello cake. 

Huge thank you, to you and Anna! You helped me so much.

• Like 2

No idea what to call this, probably marzipan semolina cake? I tried to figure out how to replicate one of my favorite bought desserts (very cheap, very full of not so nice ingredients, covered in a very nasty "chocolate" I always cut off but sooo good...) and based on the texture and flavor profile, I combined several recipes for marzipan (flavor) and semolina (texture) cakes...

Served with warm berries and extra thick double cream:

24756112111_51828a115e.jpg

I found out three things:

1) I need a better pan - this one is too big/wide

2) I really need to read the manual to my new oven - I thought I was baking the cake at 175°C for 40 minutes while I was just "resting" it in the slowly cooling oven (by setting the timer I somehow turned off the heating and didn't notice until 35 minutes in). The cake was still edible but I think the rise/texture suffered.

3) The semolina I used was maybe a bit too coarse, next time i will try to use half of this grind and half of a finer one. (I liked it very much with the coarse one but if I want to come as close to the original as possible I need a bit finer structure, I think.)

• Like 7

Vlcatko

Of all my clients, I think I like the kids the best.  Ollie is turning 10 today, and he's a wonderful little Star Wars fanboy already.  This is an orange spice cake under the orange-flavoured fondant, with a hidden core of mocha IMBC in bombé style.

DeathStar-DeepFront.jpg.0245e939d204b900

Yes, I realize I'm severely mixing my trilogies.

DeathStar-Front.jpg.4626ea14573fa24c44c9

DeathStar-Side1.jpg.3218318235e56ef15ac5

Yes, those are gumpaste Tie-Fighter candle-holders.

DeathStar-Back.jpg.c0bb0bc529cc2e1f3134f

DeathStar-Side2.jpg.7457a0c8a016ec2eef1e

DeathStar-Side3.jpg.185d574b3e725d3e3056

And yes, I just had to do the planet-killer death-ray pyrotechnics test for myself….

DeathStar-Effects.jpg.8ba53bf75416b06160

Edited by Panaderia Canadiense
Add cake flavour. (log)
  • Like 24

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

@Panaderia Canadiense

The community you supply with your amazing creations is certainly a lucky one!

Your artistic attention to detail is quite amazing. Pyrotechnics! :x

Even if his/her cake tasted like plastic, which I'm sure it definitely does not, Ollie will be one thrilled happy camper. Every child aspires to a cake made especially for them by the talented PanaCan.

> ^ . . ^ <

3 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Even if his/her cake tasted like plastic, which I'm sure it definitely does not, Ollie will be one thrilled happy camper. Every child aspires to a cake made especially for them by the talented PanaCan.

He was there when I did the delivery - and he was dressed like Darth Maul and jumping up and down for joy.  I exceeded his expectations, no mean feat when those were set by last year's Smaug the Dragon cake.

• Like 7

Franci – your cakes are gorgeous!  I hope your business is very successful.  I wish that I was close enough to buy some!

Elizabeth – I’m just stunned at the cakes that you are turning out.  Amazing!

Jessica’s birthday dessert was Coca-Cola chocolate cake with chocolate icing:

DSCN1250.JPG.1dd2719af5b0764348362c8e568

That is some DARK icing!  I used some cocoa that I bought when we were in Indiana last year.  It was called black cocoa.  I think it must be similar to what they use to make Oreos!  I topped it with dulce de leche and toasted hazelnuts.  Slice:

DSCN1265.JPG.463441426cf7bb9ad076d5d5844

One of our favorite cakes.

I made Tin Roof Brownie bars (minus the nuts) for one of Mr. Kim’s co-workers:

DSCN1276.JPG.c0b3dde8d37fdac4df402b317b4

• Like 11

Franci...your cakes are beyond beautiful! Your business is sure to be a phenomenal success!!

PanCan....That cake a AMAZING!  My nephews would kill for that! 

Kim....That cake, those brownies....there are no words. Just me, drooling on the computer keyboard again. :D

I've been working on too many chocolate orders to have much time for baking goodies. I finally managed to get some bread dough made yesterday, only to throw it into the oven without allowing it time to rise. Thankfully, hubby and kids weren't too discriminating last night at dinner, and they happily devoured that brick/bread.

• Like 4

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

@Kim Shook - That cake is making me drool on the keyboard.  And I know the cocoa you're talking about - it's the non-Dutched kind.  The omission of the alkalization step in the processing of black cocoa is what allows it to take on its natural deep colour.  (Incidentally, this is the only type of cocoa I use.)

• Like 4

Everyone's sweets looks delicious. . For the past 5 or 6 years, around mid February, I have made a Chocolate Raspberry Torte (last years effort shown last picture) but it was really really rich so I thought I'd try this Chocolate Cloud Cake this year.  Both are flourless cakes.

DSCN3285_zps6fxjcxio.jpg

DSCN3279_zps1dkw7tru.jpg

DSCN2258_1024_zpssiq26pgb.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 16

Haha. Cassie said essentially the same thing about "too rich" not being a problem for her.  It did seem less rich but it might have been because the torte had raspberry jam and the cake had whipped cream.  Also I always made the torte with Dutch Cocoa and the cake was made with melted chocolate chips and that made it seem (to me anyway) less "chocolatey" if that is a word.  I think next year I'll go back to the torte. "Rich" has its merits. 

• Like 2

Had blueberries leftover from my Super Bowl cheesecake so I made blueberry muffins.  Recipe called for 2 cups of berries......I think I had at least 3 cups to use...they are very blueberry-y.

P2121151.thumb.JPG.5b69033138b21b7e4da16

• Like 12

Today's brunch was s sweet noodle kugel. This style of kugel is called "Jerusalem kugel". It's usually made much larger, but I was only feeding a few people.

Made a dark caramel, added butter (it is usually dairy free, but I prefer butter over oil), cooked egg noodles, eggs, almonds, cinnamon, dry ginger, plenty of black pepper and a fair amount of salt. Baked, in a low oven all night long in a tightly sealed pot so keep the moisture inside. Then served warm with some tart and slightly sweet cornichons. The long bake gives it this signature brown color and flavor.

DSCF5681.thumb.JPG.4083251cf050be351c386DSCF5683.thumb.JPG.07b2157a5d97a936200c5DSCF5680.thumb.JPG.21ab734aea2afe12c5d05

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 11

~ Shai N.

1 hour ago, shain said:

served warm with some tart and slightly sweet cornichons

Very interesting to serve the sweet kugel with tart pickles.  Brings to mind childhood memories of sugar on snow (maple syrup, boiled so it will form taffy-like threads when swirled on the snow), always served with super tart pickles! 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 2

Yeesh, I'm beginning to hate holidays from working in a restaurant.Two wedding cakes, extra production, Valentine's special, and we'll probably do 1800 covers from Friday-Sunday with extended hours. 

Anyway :), here's the special-Chocolate Raspberry Mousse Cake 

image.jpeg

• Like 17

Thank you so much for the nice comments!  I seem to be on a chocolate theme lately! 

Shelby – I always add at least half again as many blueberries are a recipe calls for.  I also top muffins with a few berries – I think it looks extra pretty. 

Made a cake mix fix-up chocolate pound cake for our church annual meeting potluck on Sunday:

DSCN1287.JPG.21b9fcc98f40e2d363af21481a1

This was the first time I used my pan that Mike got me for Christmas and I was nervous.  But I sprayed it with Pam and dust it HEAVILY with cocoa and it came right out!  With chocolate glaze:

DSCN1289.JPG.285c971b7a60cbc99e8ac8ed652

• Like 14

10 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Thank you so much for the nice comments!  I seem to be on a chocolate theme lately! 

Made a cake mix fix-up chocolate pound cake for our church annual meeting potluck on Sunday:

DSCN1287.JPG.21b9fcc98f40e2d363af21481a1

This was the first time I used my pan that Mike got me for Christmas and I was nervous.  But I sprayed it with Pam and dust it HEAVILY with cocoa and it came right out!  With chocolate glaze:

DSCN1289.JPG.285c971b7a60cbc99e8ac8ed652

Kim,

Your cake came out looking beautiful!

Also I don't know why I never thought to use cocoa for dusting the pan instead of flour for a chocolate cake. Thanks for the tip.

It gives me more confidence to use the Nordic Ware holiday bundt pan my nephew gave me for Christmas. I think your pattern is much more nervousness-inducing than mine, but if yours worked, mine should be a cakewalk. :smile:

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <