• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

shain

shain

Purim was a couple of days ago and I planed on making Hamantaschen (Oznei Haman = Ears of Hamman). But I got short on time and decided to skip the more traditional shaping method. I spread the poppy seed filling over the dough and rolled it into a log then sliced it into spirals.

The sough is a shortcrust pastry with ground toasted almonds, orange zest and vanilla. The filling is ground poppy seeds, milk, orange zest and a little cognac. It is important to ground the poppy seeds using a roller mill, as blade grinders don't work well for it. For this reason I buy it from the local grocery, which keeps a 60 years old grinder used just for this purpose.

20160325_203914.jpg

Below is a photo from one year ago.

DSC_0272.jpg

Edited to add a photo of the old machine:
image.jpg

shain

shain

Purim was a couple of days ago and I planed on making Hamantaschen (Oznei Haman = Ears of Hamman). But I got short on time and decided to skip the more traditional shaping method. I spread the poppy seed filling over the dough and rolled it into a log then sliced it into spirals.

The sough is a shortcrust pastry with ground toasted almonds, orange zest and vanilla. The filling is ground poppy seeds, milk, orange zest and a little cognac. It is important to ground the poppy seeds using a roller mill, as blade grinders don't work well for it. For this reason I buy it from the local grocery, which keeps a 60 years old grinder used just for this purpose.

20160325_203914.jpg

Below is a photo from one year ago.

DSC_0272.jpg