• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

shain

shain

18 hours ago, cakewalk said:

That baklava looks great. How did you use the tehina? And how much of it? (I'm assuming it was mixed in with the nuts, etc.) Is the flavor noticeable? Tehina is one of my all-time favorite foods, and I've always loved the combination of tehina and honey. Never would have thought of adding it to baklava, but now that you mention it ...

Tahini is a favorite of mine as well, I usally eat it in savory context, but I do enjoy it sweet as well. I really enjoy it on toast with carob "honey" (actually a syrup) or date "honey".

Iv'e indeed added it to the nut mixture (though Iv'e once seen an intriguing recipe that called for tahini between the phyllo sheets). I used 20g of tahini for every 100g of mixed nuts. It's flavor is subtle in the final outcome, having a mostly nutty flavor, it's supposed to enhance the nuts, rather then really add a new flavor. The advantage of tahini comes from being finely ground, so it's flavor is quick to release on the tongue. It also works as a binding agent and improves mouth feel thanks to being creamy, in contrast to the crunchy nuts.

shain

shain

18 hours ago, cakewalk said:

That baklava looks great. How did you use the tehina? And how much of it? (I'm assuming it was mixed in with the nuts, etc.) Is the flavor noticeable? Tehina is one of my all-time favorite foods, and I've always loved the combination of tehina and honey. Never would have thought of adding it to baklava, but now that you mention it ...

Tahini is a favorite of mine as well, I usally eat it in savory context, but I do enjoy it sweet as well. I really  enjoy it on toast with carob "honey" or date "honey".

Iv'e indeed added it to the nut mixture (though Iv'e once seen an intriguing recipe that called for tahini between the phyllo sheets). I used 20g of tahini for every 100g of mixed nuts. It's flavor is subtle in the final outcome, having a mostly nutty flavor, it's supposed to enhance the nuts, rather then really add a new flavor. The advantage of tahini comes from being finely ground, so it's flavor is quick to release on the tongue. It also works as a binding agent and improves mouth feel thanks to being creamy, in contrast to the crunchy nuts.