• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

shain

shain

Here you go.

I always use a scale when baking, so my measurements are in grams, I hope that you are comfortable with those.

EDIT: I've moved the recipe originally posted here to recipe-gullet, where I think it will be easier to find in the future.

shain

shain

Here you go.

I always use a scale when baking, so my measurements are in grams, I hope that you are comfortable with those.

This makes one not very large cake in an English cake pan (26x6.5 cm / 10x2.5 inch) , I'll suggest doubling up the recipe.

Please tell me if you make it, I really hope that you will like it!

Lemon-mandarin pound cake

• 140g white flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking powder (7 g)
  • 190g white sugar
  • 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon salt (1.5 g)
  • 15-20g fine zest from a lemon and an orange/mandarin
  • 160g Greek yogurt (5% fat, or more) - choose a tart brand
  • 2 large eggs
  • 45g olive oil - aromatic, but not too vegetal, you can use natural oil if preferred
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 

For syrup:

• 25g sugar 
  • 15-20g long and thin stripes of peel (zest)  from a lemon and an orange/mandarin  (apx- 7-6 g) - see photo above for reference
  • Apx 45g lemon juice

• Heat oven to 170 deg C (340 deg F).  
  • Grease one English cake pan.
  • Prepare 3 mixing bowl: one of them should be quite large and another should be a mixer bowl to beat the egg whites in.
  • In the large bowl, mix sugar, fine citrus zest and salt.
  • Mix well and let rest while you proceed.
  • In the small bowl, measure flour and baking powder.
  • Separate eggs, placing egg whites in the empty mixer bowl and the yolks in the large bowl with the sugar.
  • Add yogurt, vanilla and oil to the bowl with the sugar and yolks.
  • Beat egg whites to soft peaks.
  • Beat yolk-sugar-yogurt mixture until smooth and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
  • Fold the egg white foam into the yolk mixture, until smooth and almost uniform.
  • Sieve flour and baking soda mixture over the liquids.
  • Fold from the bottom up just until uniform. Do not over mix.
  • Pour into greased pan and bake for apx 45 minutes. A skewer should go out cleanly. The cake should rise to fill the pan and get a tan color. 
  • While the cake bakes, make the syrup:
  • Mix together sugar and peel stripes (long zest). Mix well for the sugar to draw flavor from the peel.
  • Add about a tablespoon from the lemon juice. Microwave on high for 30 seconds.
  • Add rest of lemon juice.
  • When the cake is out of the oven, pierce it all over with a thin skewer or toothpick.
  • Pour syrup over the cake while it's still hot from the oven.
  • Spread syrup soaked peel strips over the cake.
  • Let chill and store in an air tight container, or wrapped in nylon.
shain

shain

Typos

Here you go.

This makes one not very large cake in an English cake pan, I'll suggest doubling up the recipe.

• 140g white flour
  • 190g white sugar
  • 160 g Greek yogurt (5% fat, or more) - choose a tart brand
  • 2 large eggs
  • 45g olive oil -  aromatic, but not too vegetal, you can use natural oil if preferred

For syrup:

• 25g sugar 
  • 15-20g long and thin stripes of peel (zest)  from a lemon and an orange/mandarin  (apx- 7-6 g) - see photo above for reference
  • Apx 45g lemon juice

• Prepare 3 mixing bowl: one of them should be quite large and another should be a mixer bowl to beat the egg whites in.
  • Separate eggs, placing egg whites in the empty mixer bowl and the yolks in the large bowl with the sugar.
  • Fold the egg white foam into the yolk mixture, until smooth and almost uniform.
  • Pour into greased pan and bake for apx 45 minutes. A skewer should go out cleanly. The cake should rise to fill the pan and get a tan color. 
  • Mix together sugar and peel stripes (long zest). Mix well for the sugar to draw flavor from the peel.
  • Add about a tablespoon from the lemon juice. Microwave on high for 30 seconds.
  • When the cake is out of the oven, pierce it all over with a thin skewer or toothpick.
shain

shain

Here you go.

This makes one not very large cake in an English cake pan, I'll suggest doubling up the recipe.

• 100g white flour
  • 100g white sugar
  • 160 g Greek yogurt (5% fat, or more) - choose a tart brand
  • 2 large eggs
  • 45g olive oil -  aromatic, but not too vegetal, you can use natural oil if preferred

For syrup:

• 250 sugar 
  • Apx 45g lemon juice