• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2015 – 2016)

Shelby

Kim so glad the bake sale portion was such a success! I know how delicious your cookies are.

I had a rather productive couple days baking wise, getting ready for Thanksgiving, and just because I felt so inspired by all the beautiful items posted here.

Sunday I  made

Banana nut  bread, 2 large, 3 regular sized loaves.

Pumpkin Walnut bread, 3 regular sized loaves.

Cheesecakes, muffin sized, 12 regular, 24 mini.

S'mores brownies

Pumpkin struesel  bars

Rice Krispie treats.... These 3 items, regular 9x13" pans.

Monday,

Pumpkin Walnut bread 3 regular loaves

PB& J bars ( 9x13)

Peanuts butter blossoms 24pc.

Lime cheesecakes muffin sized 12 regular

Chocolate Walnut fudge, (9x13)

Thank you all for being such an inspiration ! :wub:

• Like 4

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

White chocolate cheesecakes for Thanksgiving yesterday. I use this cheesecake recipe; simple, but marvelous. I subbed one package of the cream cheese and 8 oz of the sour cream with 2 cups of slivered white chocolate melted with a half-cup of cream.

I'll top them tomorrow night with a cherry glaze, so will post photos then.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

There is truly nothing better than a good croissant.  Never to be found where I live.  And no, I have never made one and am unlikely ever to do so.  Yours, RichardJones, look scrumptious.

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Patrick....there are no words in the English language to adequately describe that sexy caramel yumminess you posted. Dear Lord! Did that ever look amazing! WOW!

Gfron... thanks.  I am now drooling on the computer keyboard again.  Those pies are fabulous!

Have a lovely Thanksgiving everyone!

• Like 2

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

caroled – oh my!  What a gorgeous sounding spread!

Richard – your croissant is lovely.  I really need to start that project after the holidays!

My first ever pumpkin pie for a lady at church:

med_gallery_3331_119_35551.jpg

New and improved PB cookies:

med_gallery_3331_119_2387.jpg

I have actually improved my almost perfect PB cookies.  I added 1/4 c. of Jif peanut powder to the dry mix and they are just incredible.  Best I’ve ever made.  I got 3 large batches done for the freezer.

• Like 9

New and improved PB cookies:

med_gallery_3331_119_2387.jpg

I have actually improved my almost perfect PB cookies.  I added 1/4 c. of Jif peanut powder to the dry mix and they are just incredible.  Best I’ve ever made.  I got 3 large batches done for the freezer.

Did you replace any flour with the peanut powder? Or did you just add it in addition to the rest of the dry ingredients?

edited to ask:  Have you ever added chocolate chips to these peanut butter cookies? 

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Toliver - I just added the powder to the dry mix.  Didn't subtract any of the flour.  I haven't added chocolate chips to these cookies, though I've done the Hershey's kiss on top before.  No reason for you not to try the chips.  They've already got PB chips in them, so the dough would stand up to them just fine.

KS

Im now a bit keen on PBCookies

my mother made them way back when

are you suggesting you take a tries and true PBCookie Rx

and just add some PB powder to it and that improves it

same dray and same peanut butter to it as before ?

KS

Im now a bit keen on PBCookies

my mother made them way back when

are you suggesting you take a tries and true PBCookie Rx

and just add some PB powder to it and that improves it

same dray and same peanut butter to it as before ?

Well, I wouldn't like to promise that it would work on any PB cooky recipe.  It worked on mine: http://www.recipecircus.com/recipes/Kimberlyn/COOKIES/Almost_the_Best_Peanut_Butter_Cookies.html   :biggrin:   But it is certainly worth trying on a standard recipe.  I didn't change the amounts of any of the other ingredients.

Phyllo dough cups filled with ricotta cheese, strawberries and honey (with an egg for structure). Topped with strawberry, balsamic vinegar and black pepper syrup, and toasted pistachios.

philo (2).jpgphilo (1).jpg

The layers of phyllo were brushed with olive oil and honey, pre-baked, then filled and baked to set the filling. The crust is crispy and slightly sweet (reminded me of palmier cookies), the filling is nutty and milky, with soft creamy texture (even when being low fat - the ricotta is only 5%). The mint leave are more then just for looks, as it compliments he flavor incredibly well

• Like 9

~ Shai N.

My goodness, I've been away too long.  So much yumminess here….

So, Arturo (he of last year's highly celebrated Smaug the Dragon cake) has discovered JK Rowling.  In keeping with this, that runic inscription around the cake reads "I solemnly swear that I am up to no good."

Arturo-11.jpg.7ef42e6b1ad7911bdac6c239ab

Also, Doña Olga, one of my city's last old-guard wood-fired oven bakers, turned 90 and insisted that I be the one to make her cake.  The three tiers are coconut chiffon, orange spice, and carrot.

Olga-90Side.jpg.ed1d763940dada0d90011304

Olga-90.jpg.543411e4a4e8bc1bc98bcea043ff

And then for Hallowe'en, I ended up making a zillion spider pies.

SpiderPie.jpg.d1bc4bfd4683fa6dd7318d4267

Then, of course, before I knew it, it was Panettone season.  I'm also making chocolate and walnut ones this year.

Panetones.jpg

• Like 19

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

54 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

Panaderia, I love seeing pics of your cakes and pies, etc. I wish I could mail-order a cake from you! 

So do I!  

It looks as though your Pannetones are in bakeable paper.  Is that something you're able to purchase easily where you are, or do you have to mail-order it from the States?  Or do you make it yourself?  I'm ogling the King Arthur Catalog and wondering where I could have something sent as I travel.  Maybe I'm making a bigger deal of baking in paper than I need to.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

19 minutes ago, Smithy said:

It looks as though your Pannetones are in bakeable paper.  Is that something you're able to purchase easily where you are, or do you have to mail-order it from the States?  Or do you make it yourself?  I'm ogling the King Arthur Catalog and wondering where I could have something sent as I travel.  Maybe I'm making a bigger deal of baking in paper than I need to.

I buy them at my local baker's supply shop; they're made in Guayaquil, so they don't have to travel too far and they're actually available year-round (although the shop generally only stocks them around Christmas and Easter).  I pay $5.50/100 for the personal-sized ones, and $7.50/100 for the larger ones.  They're lightly waxed banana-kraft paper.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FauxPas said:

Panaderia, I love seeing pics of your cakes and pies, etc. I wish I could mail-order a cake from you! 

Well, all you have to do is visit Ecuador….  Not a terrible idea, in the dead of the northern winter.  It's a glorious summer day today, and I'm making gingersnaps!

• Like 3

Hello there, PanaCan,

Strange...I was just thinking about you today...missing your posts and wondering what you were up to...and here you are with wonderful goodies as usual.

I would love to visit you and your family in Ecuador and redo that trail of outdoor food trucks you did the last time.  And taste some of your wonderful goodies which you bake every day.  That cake for the 90-year old lady is wonderful. 

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

4 minutes ago, Darienne said:

Hello there, PanaCan,

Strange...I was just thinking about you today...missing your posts and wondering what you were up to...and here you are with wonderful goodies as usual.

I would love to visit you and your family in Ecuador and redo that trail of outdoor food trucks you did the last time.  And taste some of your wonderful goodies which you bake every day.  That cake for the 90-year old lady is wonderful. 

And I was just thinking of you, too!  I need to bother you a bit about what you use to stick granola bars together - altitude plays heck with my caramel.