• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PLAN: Oklahoma BBQ Tour, March 12, 2016

Several of us in the Oklahoma area are going to get together for a barbecue tour on Saturday, March 12, 2016. This is an open invitation to any other members who'd like to join us. This discussion is for working out the details, and for stating your interest in coming along. The discussion began here.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

We could throw in a visit to the Broken Arrow location for the Original Oklahoma Joes. And BTW, I'm in.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

I'm going to try, Lare. Depends upon how my dad is doing. Might have to go to Atlanta. 

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 2 months later...

Okay, serious planning starts now.  Here is what I propose.  We will start at Burnco BBQ at 18th and Boston for our first stop of the day.  In my not so humble opinion, some of the finest bbq coming out of the state of Oklahoma.  Buffalo BBQ in Sperry is out, Donny Teel is taking his family away for Spring Break.  So now we will have an excellent excuse for a second tour.  Jon Davidson, the original Oklahoma Joes is in Broken Arrow or I just had a though, how would you like to stop off at Hasty Bake where they make those fabulous grills.  People in these parts collect them.  Then on our way to The Butcher BBQ Stand in Wellston, over near OKC, we can stop off for a visit to the brand new Trader Joe's here in Tulsa.  That should make for a full and at least to me interesting day.  I will get with the folks at Hasty Bake and see if we can get a tour set up.  Butcher will be the final stop.  

Here is what I propose,  

Saturday, March 12.  

10:15am  -  Meet up at Burnco at 18th and Boston near downtown Tulsa (second breakfast or first lunch - your choice)

11:30ish or later  -  Head over to Oklahoma Joe's in Broken Arrow  (second lunch or just get the burnt ends)

1 or so  -  Stop off to oogle Trader Joe's (not really experienced with TJ's so I have no idea.)

3 or so  -  meet up at The Butchers BBQ Stand in Wellston for the finale.(this is about 90 miles from Tulsa)(that way most of you will be closer to home than me)

somewhere in there I will throw in Hasty BAke if there is an interest.  Or maybe we should save that for the second tour.  

Let the sign-ups begin.  We will take out of staters who might also be interested.  Any Texans or Arkansans ready to eat some real BBQ?   

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

On 2/17/2016 at 8:15 PM, Tere said:

I know very little about this culture, I await your pictures with greed and anticipation!

I'll try to remember to take some pictures.

• Like 2

I heard from Butchers and they are excited about serving us.  

I would welcome written descriptions without photos, too. After all, one cannot capture one of the most compelling aspects of a good barbecue joint with a camera. That, of course, is the wood smoke twining enticingly around the slowly cooking meat perfume. :smile:*drool*

Have fun, y'all!

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

• 3 weeks later...

Here is what I have gotten so far,  It is cylexa possibly plus one, Chris and plus one and myself.  I'm so excited.  I went by Burnco today and had the ribs.  OMG.  THe very best thing they do.  We will be starting at Burnco at 10:30 am  Then head over to Oklahoma Joes.  THen we will stop off at Trader Joes, dont forget to bring your cooler with you.  After wards we will head over to Wellston for Butchers.  I am so excited.  Burnco, ribs,  OK joes, burnt' ends if they are on the menu, and they have good beans.  Butchers, lets explore.  I will be the one in line wearing the Sam Adams baseball cap and the round glasses.  I will be there early to claim a line placement but recommend we meet up before 10:15.  We need some time to say hello afterall.  Google maps will be your friend in the locations.  

I am so ready for bbq judging season to start.  

• Like 3

Since I can't be there in person, I am so looking forward to the report!

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

52 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Since I can't be there in person, I am so looking forward to the report!

Smithy, since your chasing the sun, don't stop in DFW, just come one up.  I can pick you up at TIA and we will have a great time.  I know, for some reason it is listed at TUL but come on anyway.  I know of at least 3 places to have an incredible meal in Joplin, MO.  Can you believe that?   One day Jaymes will return and it will take us a week to do all that has happened sinced she left.  

1 hour ago, joiei said:

Smithy, since your chasing the sun, don't stop in DFW, just come one up.  I can pick you up at TIA and we will have a great time.  I know, for some reason it is listed at TUL but come on anyway.  I know of at least 3 places to have an incredible meal in Joplin, MO.  Can you believe that?   One day Jaymes will return and it will take us a week to do all that has happened sinced she left.  

Not this time (I am still far to the west) but we DO pass through Joplin sometimes.  I'll keep it in mind.  Thanks!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Hi Chris. I'm the big guy with grey hair in front of you. Come join me. Larry