• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Acme Smoked Fish Corporation, Greenpoint

weinoo

Over in the breakfast forum, I posted a pic of our breakfast this morning.  The lox (and indeed it was lox, not nova or smoked salmon) came from Acme Smoked Fish Corporation,  a wholesaler of smoked fish to many of the great retail appetizing stores (or at least the few that are left in NYC, such as Russ & Daughters).

On Friday mornings, from 8 AM until 1 PM, they open their warehouse to the public. Prices are astoundingly cheap when buying directly from the wholesaler.  They're not hand slicing like they do at Russ & Daughter's, so the sable you buy may be in a chunk. But you know how to use a knife, right?

So, I went. And I wrote this blog post called Acme Smoked Fish...Beep Beep

• Like 6

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Mitch, can you give an idea of what you mean by "astoundingly cheap"?  I'd love to have access to a place like that, too.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Hmmm. Hard to remember exactly, but (as an example) sable at retail is almost as expensive as sturgeon...somewhere around $50/lb. I think the wholesale price is around 40% less than that.  

I bought a variety of smoked fish and salads, and don't exactly recall the individual prices.

When I head back, I'll make note of them.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

• 3 years later...

it would be worth making the trip to buy in bulk for a party or event but buying quantities that expire soon might mean eating the same thing for a while 

not sure if their smoked fish products keep longer like salami or cheese 

7 hours ago, eugenep said:

it would be worth making the trip to buy in bulk for a party or event but buying quantities that expire soon might mean eating the same thing for a while 

not sure if their smoked fish products keep longer like salami or cheese 

They certainly don't keep as long as salami or cheeses. Under optimal conditions in the fridge (i.e. not left out too long on the counter before putting back in the fridge), a week or two at the most.

But smoked salmon freezes nicely.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog