• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for red ginger threads in syrup (Meechun Canning Company)

bluesman13

Hello there,

I have a recipe that I started making again. It's Chinese Chicken Salad and uses red ginger threads in syrup as an ingredient in the recipe (the ginger and the syrup). If you're familiar with the restaurant Chin Chin in Los Angeles, they uses this ingredient in their version as well. In any case, I am unable to locate it anywhere. I used to find it in any Chinese Supermarket in LA, but not now.  Anyone have a clue where I can find it, and why it has mysteriously disappeared? (I had a theory that red dye was used to make the ginger red and they ran into trouble with the FDA, but that's just my own theory).  thanks! While it may be tempted to recommend ginger in brine or such, this is not the same thing :-) (see pic for the one I seek).

Products_0003825_LRG.jpg.538593627355d38

Photo from web site WaiYeeHong.com

Edited by bluesman13 (log)

Have you checked with See's Market in Visalia?  They're out on Ben Maddox Way, just a little south of Houston Avenue, or they were the last time I visited.  They had an amazing selection of Oriental foods and might be able to tell you whether they can get this for you. The Mee Chun Canning Company that makes this still seems to offer it - but you're right that the Red Food Dye #2 might be a problem in this country.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 1 year later...

Welcome back, sir - and thanks for sharing your find!

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown