• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Convection Roasting Chicken

dcarch

Trying out a new technique. 

A typical convection oven fan does not circulate hot air that much. So I put an electric fan inside my convection oven to really move the air.

The chicken was first washed with boiling seasoned water inside and outside, kind of like making Peking duck, After the chicken.was seasoned, I set the oven temperature to 185F with the fan on. Once the internal temperature reached 150F, the heat was lowered to 170F. 

About 5 hours later, the chicken was removed from the oven and into the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.

The electric fan was removed and the oven was preheated to 450F. The chicken was roasted for about 25 minutes. Because the chicken had been forced air cooked, the skin was completely dried out and the high temperature roasting made the skin very crispy.

dcarch

convection roasted chicken 3.jpg

convection roasted chicken 2.jpg

convection roasted chicken.JPG

• Like 4