• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicago dining out

pistolabella

I'm planning a week long trip to Chicago in a couple months and already obsessing about all of the great food we will eat. While I have a few favorites I want to visit, and plan on doing some nice dinners out, I'd love any tips or recommendations for trying a great place without being too spendy. For example - what nice restaurant has a lunch special or fixed price lunch that's amazing? Who's bar can't be missed for a great drink and appetizers?  All types of cuisine are good. We are staying in Old Town but will be in various parts of the city of course so also pretty open re: neighborhoods. 

Prix fixe lunch: definitely Naha and Blackbird

What are those "few favorites" of yours?

Edited by Alex (log)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I almost forgot another prix fixe: the amazing GT Fish & Oyster

All the ones I've mentioned so far are between $25 and $27.

Edited by Alex (log)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Bars w/food:

Check out this article from Thrillist (Reload the page, but stop the reload immediately after the article appears; that'll help to avoid the annoying "join us to see the article" box.)

Also Rootstock,

Thanks guys! Frontera & Blackbird are on my go-to list, as is a breakfast or 3 at La Fournette. Any opinions on Mon Ami Gabi, Quartino's, or Francesca's on Taylor? I have a Frankenstein bookmark list i've built from various recommendation and articles that is quite daunting. Also, I'm totally unfamiliar with the Pilsen area & Little Italy but I know a morning trip to the Mexican Art Museum is on the books, and would love a lunch recommendation in the area for that day as well. I'm also eager to try cocktails....Lost Lake & Three Dots for sure, what's the deal with Green River?  Huiray- i'm taking note of your suggestions i the other thread! My biggest struggle is planning out the eating geographically. Yikes!

I thought Quartino was fine but not amazing: it was loud and busy when we were there, which is a fun vibe as long as you aren't looking for a romantic getaway :). It was pretty reasonably priced, including the wine list, and was walking distance to our hotel, which won it points as well. The food wasn't exciting, but it was well-prepared once they brought us the right pie (at first one of the two we ordered was the wrong one, but it wasn't a huge deal and they brought out the correct one in pretty short order).

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I agree with Chris about Quartino, and have a similar reaction to FoT. If you're looking for Italian food, I can't speak highly enough about Anteprima -- and it's an amazing bargain to boot. It's in Andersonville, which is nowhere near Old Town, but it's a straight shot on the #22 Clark bus (or via taxi, of course). Plus Andersonville is a fun place for shopping. We also have had excellent meals at Piccolo Sogno Due and "uno."

Regarding Little Italy, it's not Italian, but Three Aces is one of the more interesting places: one two

Chicago has tremendous Mexican food, both in and beyond Pilsen. Here's a 2008 Time Out article about Rick Bayless's favorite places. Note his mention of the tres leches cake at Kristoffer's Cafe and Bakery. Yes, it's that good. If I'm driving, sometimes I'll buy one to take home. (However, it looks like their website no longer exists, and I got their voice mail during working hours, so I'm not sure what's going on with that.) Here's a 2013 article about Pilsen from Saveur; it also mentions the non-Mexican Nightwood, which is no longer in business. Outside of Pilsen, Mexique offers an interesting (and excellent) fusion of Mexican and French cuisines.

Three Dots is a hoot. And very crowded. No idea about Lost Lake or Green River (or any other place in Chicago that's named after a body of water, except for North Pond, which is wonderful).

If you want to go upscale on cocktails, of course there's The Aviary and The Violet Hour. Sable, in River North (we've been there multiple times), also is known for their cocktails (and small plates).

I'm glad to see that someone besides us obsesses (and plans) about vacation food months in advance.

If you are in China Town, you should to go to Cai for dim sum. Also, If you can get to Evanston, you might  enjoy the authentic

Chinese teahouse called Dream About Tea. IMO it is one of the two best Chinese teahouses in the Great Lakes region.

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

• 2 months later...

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys! Riddle me this...You're going to Graceland Cemetery  mid morning / after  breakfast and you know nothing about that area. Where do you go for a nice (all cuisine suggestions welcome, nothing super exspensive but moderate is fine) lunch and what else do you do that afternoon somewhat nearby?  Or - is there a great breakfast spot in the area we should hit up first? Admittedly, geography is my biggest hurdle when I try to piece my trips together.

4 hours ago, pistolabella said:

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys! Riddle me this...You're going to Graceland Cemetery  mid morning / after  breakfast and you know nothing about that area. Where do you go for a nice (all cuisine suggestions welcome, nothing super exspensive but moderate is fine) lunch and what else do you do that afternoon somewhat nearby?  Or - is there a great breakfast spot in the area we should hit up first? Admittedly, geography is my biggest hurdle when I try to piece my trips together.

Breakfast #1: Kanela Breakfast Club, 3231 N Clark, just north of Belmont. (Ms. Alex is a big fan.) Then take the Clark bus to Graceland. Or you can walk if it's nice out.

Breakfast #2: The Bongo Room, 5022 N Clark, at the south end of Andersonville (see below), a little north of Graceland.

Andersonville (take the Clark bus to Foster or thereabouts) is fun for shopping, whether browsing or buying. Eat lunch at Big Jones, Hopleaf, or m. henry.

The Southport area, from Roscoe north to Irving Park, also is fun for shopping and eating. Have breakfast or lunch at Southport Grocery and get some ice cream at Jeni's.

• 3 months later...

Opinions on any of the following for a steak: My short list right now is Bavette's, Swift & Sons, Cherry Circle, Mon Ami Gabi, Chop House...I'm open to suggestion. Straight up steak house, bistro, Italian / steakhouse, anything is OK. I'd like to be able to hear my fiance talking over dinner if that isn't a tall order. We'll be in town next week so I want to make a reservation. Ideally nothing more spendy than what I've mentioned above. Thanks!

1 hour ago, pistolabella said:

Opinions on any of the following for a steak: My short list right now is Bavette's, Swift & Sons, Cherry Circle, Mon Ami Gabi, Chop House...I'm open to suggestion. Straight up steak house, bistro, Italian / steakhouse, anything is OK. I'd like to be able to hear my fiance talking over dinner if that isn't a tall order. We'll be in town next week so I want to make a reservation. Ideally nothing more spendy than what I've mentioned above. Thanks!

Of the ones you mentioned, I'd opt for Swift & Sons. However, this month's Chicago magazine rated The Blanchard as their #1 new restaurant and singled out their steak frites for special mention. Their #8 new restaurant was Prime & Provisions, praising their bone-in ribeye and center-cut porterhouse; that's probably where I'd wind up if I were in the mood for a steak while in town. (Swift & Sons was their #6 new restaurant.)

• 11 months later...

Catch me up on where I should try to get reservations in June. @Alleguede and I will be in Lombard for the RCI trade show. We will arrive on a Sunday late afternoon and leave on Thursday noon or so. We will have a rental car but will most likely take transport into the city if alcohol is involved.

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Catch me up on where I should try to get reservations in June. @Alleguede and I will be in Lombard for the RCI trade show. We will arrive on a Sunday late afternoon and leave on Thursday noon or so. We will have a rental car but will most likely take transport into the city if alcohol is involved.

Your hotel has a shuttle that will take you to a Metra (commuter rail) station, so that's a huge plus. I have several restaurants in mind already, but I want to contact the hotel tomorrow to see if it's just the Lombard station or if the Downer's Grove station is a possibility. If the latter, I have a great recommendation that's just five stops away.

6 hours ago, Alex said:

Your hotel has a shuttle that will take you to a Metra (commuter rail) station, so that's a huge plus. I have several restaurants in mind already, but I want to contact the hotel tomorrow to see if it's just the Lombard station or if the Downer's Grove station is a possibility. If the latter, I have a great recommendation that's just five stops away.

Might be mistaken - but think it's only the Lombard station it goes to.

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Might be mistaken - but think it's only the Lombard station it goes to.

I just called -- they do indeed go to Downers Grove as well. When you book the ride, make sure to specify which station; Lombard is their default setting, so to speak. When you return, call the hotel from your departure station and tell them the arrival station and time. (FYI, the train from Lombard terminates at Ogilvie Station in Chicago; the one from Downers Grove, at Union Station.)

If you take Metra from Downers Grove to Western Springs, right by the station is Vie. I'd definitely go there Tuesday or Wednesday night.

Taking Metra from Lombard to Ogilvie puts you in the West Loop, with a stunning array of great restaurants within walking distance: Avec, Blackbird, Sepia, Salero, Girl and the Goat, Nia, etc. -- also the Michelin 3-star, $235-tasting-menu Grace and the Michelin 2-star, $190-tasting-menu Oriole.

If you don't want to travel far, Greek Islands is right by the hotel, plus it's open Sunday and Monday nights. It's an outpost of the popular Greektown place.

8 hours ago, Alex said:

I just called -- they do indeed go to Downers Grove as well. When you book the ride, make sure to specify which station; Lombard is their default setting, so to speak. When you return, call the hotel from your departure station and tell them the arrival station and time. (FYI, the train from Lombard terminates at Ogilvie Station in Chicago; the one from Downers Grove, at Union Station.)

If you take Metra from Downers Grove to Western Springs, right by the station is Vie. I'd definitely go there Tuesday or Wednesday night.

Taking Metra from Lombard to Ogilvie puts you in the West Loop, with a stunning array of great restaurants within walking distance: Avec, Blackbird, Sepia, Salero, Girl and the Goat, Nia, etc. -- also the Michelin 3-star, $235-tasting-menu Grace and the Michelin 2-star, $190-tasting-menu Oriole.

If you don't want to travel far, Greek Islands is right by the hotel, plus it's open Sunday and Monday nights. It's an outpost of the popular Greektown place.

Thanks for all this R - have to work around Mon, Tuesday closings - but lots of great choices.

Is the Slurping Turtle still around and still good?

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

15 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Thanks for all this R - have to work around Mon, Tuesday closings - but lots of great choices.

Is the Slurping Turtle still around and still good?

You're welcome. There are lots more, of course; those are just the ones in the West Loop near Ogilvie.

I believe Slurping Turtle is still around, but there are better places in the city for ramen and for Japanese food in general. I also had a very unpleasant experience there a couple of years ago regarding seating, so I've had zero desire to return.

For ramen (and yakitori), I'd go to Yusho, in Logan Square. (Here are other ramen places.) For sushi, Katsu, in West Rogers Park, is the way to go.

If you're thinking about River North, where the turtle is located, there again are lots of good choices. One of my favorites is GT Fish & Oyster. Best clam chowder I've ever had; everything else is good, too. The same chef opened GT Prime, focusing on meats.

Please let me know if there are other cuisines you're interested in.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Thoughts on Hollywood at Next?

That particular menu just started today. You might want to wait a week or so then search for reports at the Chicago Tribune (Phil Vettel), Eater Chicago, LTHForum, etc.

30 minutes ago, Alex said:

That particular menu just started today. You might want to wait a week or so then search for reports at the Chicago Tribune (Phil Vettel), Eater Chicago, LTHForum, etc.

But I suspect I need to make a reservation today if I'm going to get one.

12 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

But I suspect I need to make a reservation today if I'm going to get one.

Maybe, maybe not. Next isn't the novelty it used to be, and mid-week should be an easier reservation than weekend. Then again, I might have nary a clue what I'm talking about. However, I can't imagine anything at Next being less than very, very good. However again, if I were spending that kind of money, I'd go to Oriole. Or, for less money and a short cab ride from Union or Ogilvie, another eG'er and I recently had an excellent meal at Ruxbin, in West Town: $85 for five courses, and it's BYOB. Sunday or Wednesday would be your only options, though.

• 11 months later...

Was in Chicago last weekend for my first time ever.  Visiting old friends, they aren't as old as I but we go back a ways to New Orleans.  Anyway, it was all about the eating.  We were driven past some iconic Chicago things, I did get to see the Picasso as we passed by.  But as I said, it was about eating and visiting and getting caught up.  The first dinner was at Publician Anker near their home in Wicker Park.  The next day after dropping Pierre off at his office tower we went to  Meli Cafe.  It was just breakfast so no biggie.  Then we had to kill time waiting for Kathy and George to fly in from North Carolina.  So, after a little touristy stuff we went to Calumet Fisheries and picked up some shrimp to go then found a park on the lake to enjoy our lunch sharing tidbits with Kia, the pug.  Dinner that night we went to  Taxim.  That was fun, Greek foods unlike any I had had in the past.  I had the pork belly and tasted everyone else's.  

Day three,  we started at The Little Goat.  The two guys who own that company, Boka, used to have a little wine bar down on 30A in Blue Mountain Beach, FL.  My but they have come a long way.  My breakfast was This Little Piggy went to China.  I didn't share.  Their loss.  After taking in the conservatory we ended up at duckduckgoat  ordering a ton of foods, Stephanie Izard, I love love your food.  Dinner that night was recovery time, Daniella made a fish spread with the smoked trout we picked up earlier and we spent time remembering  New Orleans.  

Day four,  we started with with pastries we had picked up along the way.  Then we went to Fat Rice and I loved it there.  Portuguese Macao menus.  The Fat Rice dish was one of my faves.  Between meals we got the driving tour of some of Pierre's buildings his company  is creating.  So we got to drive under the el and get honked at and all that kind of stuff.  Our next stop was  very special chocolate shop called  Teuscher Chocolates.  OMG the champagne truffles were do die for, at least the ONE i was given. Plus Pierre had to do some clothes shopping, he is one well dressed Belizian.  BTW, in that neighborhood, in our walk to the car which was about 4 blocks, I counted 10 Tesla's and one of those new Afla's.  Here in Tulsa, we might have 10 Tesla's period.  Dinner that night was at home, pizza from  Craft Pizza.  It was okay, I like our pizza here in Tulsa from Andolini's or Okie Goodness better.  

It snowed Sunday night so I had to try to get out of town in that mess.  Took me 2 hours.  Stopped off in Springfield, MO to hang with friends before heading on in on Tuesday.  I will go back.  Thanks Pierre and Daniella for showing me your city.  

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Great choices, joiei! And we just missed each other at Publican Anker -- that is, if "just" means "two weeks."