• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Distillery jobs?

Placebo

Greetings folks - it's been a while. As some of you may recall, I spent several years as a cheese maker, at Beecher's Handmade Cheese, thanks to eGullet. I wound up eventually leaving the business due to there not being growth options that wouldn't force me to move to the middle of nowhere, plus I developed a casein allergy while actually doing the work :(

After several years back in IT, I'm now reconsidering an idea that's been kicking around in my head for 7 or 8 years now - namely going into professional distilling. With the rapid growth of distilleries in Washington (and, apparently, some very craft-distillery-friendly laws) this seems like a good time for it, though, as with cheese making, opportunities are few and far between. I've only done a little bit of dabbling in the actual art, but, in talking to a distiller friend in Austin, a lot of my cheese experience will translate directly over and it'll just be about learning the details.

So, I come to you, eGulleteers, to ask those of you in the food world to keep an ear to the ground for potential opportunities. I've taken a poke at the Washington Distillers Guild forums but they are very very quiet. I'm also talking with friends specifically in the biz (distributors and a few well-connected bartenders) but any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated.

Bacon starts its life inside a piglet-shaped cocoon, in which it receives all the nutrients it needs to grow healthy and tasty.

-baconwhores.com

Bacon, the Food of Joy....

-Sarah Vowell