• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salad Books

rotuts

18 minutes ago, Anna N said:

So if the yolk is completely raw why cook it in the first place? Many Cesar salad dressings call for (uncooked) egg yolks. Is this some sort of attempt at pasteurization to avoid salmonella? I’m just curious.

Does seem odd. I recalled the "coddled" egg in Julia Child's. And the link uses the whole. Interested to see what other do/experience  https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/julias-caesar-salad-105469

34 minutes ago, Anna N said:

So if the yolk is completely raw why cook it in the first place? Many Cesar salad dressings call for (uncooked) egg yolks. Is this some sort of attempt at pasteurization to avoid salmonella? I’m just curious.

I too suspect this represents a poor attempt at Pasteurization.  I suggest eggs two hours at 55C to be safe and still have essentially uncooked yolks and whites.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

15 hours ago, Anna N said:

So if the yolk is completely raw why cook it in the first place? Many Caesar salad dressings call for (uncooked) egg yolks. Is this some sort of attempt at pasteurization to avoid salmonella? I’m just curious.

I'm thinking that's exactly what it is.

I still don't understand what I'm supposed to do with the white. It looks as though the Julia and Jacques recipe linked above uses the whole egg. The recipe I asked about doesn't address it at all. 

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I've been enjoying a lot of Caesar salads lately, mostly following the Zuni Cafe recipe, which is probably all over the internet since it has been around so long. It's a very straight-ahead recipe, with no coddling called for. And just to be perfectly clear, Zuni Cafe was making traditional Caesars before kale was invented. Romaine, romaine, romaine.

My understanding is that coddling is not a health measure, but a way to get the yolk a little thicker, as some prefer the dressing like that. We just whisk up a whole egg., raw.  I find that a big salad for the two of us (really big) doesn't even need the whole egg. We use about half of the whisked egg, or maybe slightly more if it's a small egg. I guess it has been so long since I had a Caesar Salad in a restaurant or one made by anyone else that I don't know what to compare our dressing to; nevertheless it's addictive, in addition to being uncomplicated. My husband seems to care a lot about the croutons, so he's now the boss of Caesars.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1