• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buy-in cost for homemade espresso?

Chris Hennes

I've had no problems with the Rocky.

Bear in mind that even with infinite modifications possible to a machine, if you have significant changes in humidity, you will need to be infinitely adjusting your machine.

God shots are possible, but you will find that God is a moveable and capricious entity.

So you can buy a machine that is less adjustable and adjust it less, with an associated lack of precision. Or you can buy a machine that is more adjustable and adjust it more to achieve perfection, which means a waste of coffee.

Your call. 

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

13 hours ago, Chris Hennes said:

So from that perspective it sounds like the Rocky is not an optimal match for the machine, given that she's touchy?

No...I meant it more as Silvia is touchy, and LIKES Rocky. She might like something really expensive even more - that's how those women are.

But really, Nick puts it well in the post above.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 6 months later...

Some people are spending a lot of money on machinery....I bought a Gran Gaggia about 20 years ago; the disadvantage is it's only a single boiler so steaming milk in the morning can mean a wait. The advantage is it's cheap(er) than other 'home' machines. It's paired with a Cuisinart grinder (which needed slight hacking to produce a fine espresso grind) and the whole deal cost about €300, which is plenty expensive enough for me. The Gaggia has been serviced a couple of times and had a few gaskets replaced but it's still going strong.

For a while when the Gaggia was broken down I used an Aeropress which, for about €25 produces a very nice coffee.

Chris Ward

http://eatsleepcookschool.wordpress.com

I wrote a book about learning to cook in the South of France: http://mybook.to/escs