• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

• product-image-quickten.png.a40203b506711f7664fc62024e54a584.pngDid you know that these all-volunteer forums are operated by the 501(c)3 not-for-profit Society for Culinary Arts & Letters? This holiday season, consider a tax-deductible Quick Ten Bucks to support the eG Forums and help us remain completely advertising-free. Thanks to all those who have donated so far!

Chris Hennes

Welcome to eG Forums v4... Again!

521 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Is there some easy and foolproof way to use the quote function without repeating all of the photographs in the original post? 

You can quote a portion of a post by highlighting the desired text and selecting "quote this."

anna.PNG

3 people like this

~Martin

Unsupervised rebellious radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader and adventurous cook. Crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon, nonconformist, contrarian and natural born skeptic who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it! 

50 minutes ago, huiray said:

May I ask if it is possible to describe in a basic way what made the stream compile incompletely before?

Honestly I have no idea, it was escalated to Invision's advanced support team, their ways are mysterious.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

1 hour ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

You can quote a portion of a post by highlighting the desired text and selecting "quote this."

anna.PNG

And you can move it around too while doing that...see here (until that place gets taken down).

3 hours ago, Chris Hennes said:

@Anna N -- Not that I am aware of. I've taken to often using @-mentions rather than quotes when I want to make sure it's clear who I am responding to (and to get their attention). 

Thanks. Works like a charm. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Never call a stomach a tummy without good reason.” William Strunk Jr., The Elements of Style

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

anna.PNG

Brilliant. Thanks. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Never call a stomach a tummy without good reason.” William Strunk Jr., The Elements of Style

My 2004 eG Blog

When I go to a topic I sometimes get a black rectangle on the bottom of the screen that says "Loading...", with a progress indicator that goes around and around.  Even though all of the page appears to have loaded.  The loading rectangle seems to stay there for as long as the page is open.

What is trying to be loaded?  It would be helpful if there was some way to dismiss the message, although refreshing the page works.

I feel sure the answer to my question is somewhere, but I can't find it:  In the previous version, topics that contained posts I had not read were listed in bold type and were listed first--it was very easy to see new items.  That seems not to be the case in the new software.  Is there some way of getting back that functionality?

Thanks for any help.

In the topic "What's new...."  One of the features mentioned is unlimited editing window with logged editing. I see nothing that will allow me to edit a post that is a few hours old. 

Also the search function still seems wonky. It returns occurences of the searched for word but when you click on one of these returned occurences it does not take you to it. 

Four example is I search for the word edit in this topic it returns this screen 

image.jpeg

But if I click on the last offering  (Welcome...) it takes me here

image.thumb.png.eeeef57c9bc81690345ab162

image.png

Edited by Anna N Trying to edit a couple of words but I'm not being very successful (log)

My 2004 eG Blog

42 minutes ago, Anna N said:

In the topic "What's new...."  One of the features mentioned is unlimited editing window with logged editing. I see nothing that will allow me to edit a post that is a few hours old. 

That's because you are in the "Staff Emeritus" group and I am stupid. The edit window is a per-group setting and I forgot to update that group. It should work now.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

46 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Also the search function still seems wonky. It returns occurences of the searched for word but when you click on one of these returned occurences it does not take you to it. 

That's actually a direct consequence of a temporary change I've made to make the streams behave better. It will be resolved when Invision releases a version (expected in January) that has the titles of stream content go to the first unread post, instead of the beginning of the topic. Until then, I have to make *all* search results do that in order to make *any* of them to it.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Thanks, Chris, for all the work you put in on this stuff.

11 people like this

On 12/18/2015 at 11:07 PM, Chris Hennes said:

There isn't, but it's an interesting idea. I might check with our developer to see what it would take to create such a thing.

Thanks.  Is it possible to make the alt text when hovering over the image the name of the thread rather than "Go to post" ?

3 hours ago, gfweb said:

Thanks, Chris, for all the work you put in on this stuff.

Yes, Chris. I too am most appreciative. 

1 person likes this

My 2004 eG Blog

I enjoy the sets of pictures on the R  'recent pictures' to catch up on things Ive missed

occasionally the links to individual pics do not match up when clicked

this Am  there is a pic of a plate of food, w some carrots on the upper L of the plate

clicking this pic does not match up with its post.

a small thing,

Did we lose the "report this post" function?

My 2004 eG Blog

" report Post " is there for me, but your cursor seems to have to be in the post's 'box' or its very pale and hard to see

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

No. It's right there beside "posted 1 hour ago."

Untitled-1 copy.jpg

Damn. Need to get new glasses!  I looked hard, honest. 

My 2004 eG Blog

10 hours ago, _john said:

Thanks.  Is it possible to make the alt text when hovering over the image the name of the thread rather than "Go to post" ?

I'll suggest it to the developer.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Returning for a moment to yesterday's discussion of how to selectively quote posts, there's another trick.  As Martin describes, If you select text in one post you can quote just that selected bit.  But it goes further: if you want to quote several posts, just repeat the process for each piece of text ad infinitum (possibly).  Something like this:

On ‎18‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 10:27 AM, DiggingDogFarm said:

You can quote a portion of a post by highlighting

On ‎18‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 11:58 AM, huiray said:

And you can move it around

On ‎18‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 0:55 PM, Anna N said:

Brilliant. Thanks

Not bad, huh?

2 people like this

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Chris, many thanks for all the work you and the other staff are doing here!

I'm having a terrible time with the new text editor.  I'm losing formatting, especially hard returns to separate paragraphs. It looks fine when I preview the post. Then I submit it and it disappears when the post appears. I've had to go back and edit it to put the returns back in.  Also, in the most recent instance, photos that I'd added--then deleted--still appeared in the post.  I deleted them again when I went back to edit the post, and this second time was successful.

It is just me? I don't see that anyone else has mentioned this.

34 minutes ago, LindaK said:

I'm losing formatting, especially hard returns to separate paragraphs. It looks fine when I preview the post. Then I submit it and it disappears when the post appears. I've had to go back and edit it to put the returns back in.

Linda, I haven't experienced this one, and haven't gotten reports from others about it (so anyone else who has seen this please chime in). What browser are you using? Have you tried the "clear your cache and cookies" dance?

35 minutes ago, LindaK said:

Also, in the most recent instance, photos that I'd added--then deleted--still appeared in the post.  I deleted them again when I went back to edit the post, and this second time was successful.

This is a known bug in the attachment system, I'm not aware of whether this has been fixed in the upcoming January bug fix release, though.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

5 minutes ago, Chris Hennes said:
41 minutes ago, LindaK said:

I'm losing formatting, especially hard returns to separate paragraphs. It looks fine when I preview the post. Then I submit it and it disappears when the post appears. I've had to go back and edit it to put the returns back in.

Linda, I haven't experienced this one, and haven't gotten reports from others about it (so anyone else who has seen this please chime in). What browser are you using? Have you tried the "clear your cache and cookies" dance?

I clear my cache and other browsing data periodically but not after every site I visit.  This formatting loss is very strange.  And just now, looking at a reply to one of the posts, I see that even after editing to add the returns again, one of them is still missing.

I use Chrome, btw.