• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

• product-image-quickten.png.a40203b506711f7664fc62024e54a584.pngDid you know that these all-volunteer forums are operated by the 501(c)3 not-for-profit Society for Culinary Arts & Letters? This holiday season, consider a tax-deductible Quick Ten Bucks to support the eG Forums and help us remain completely advertising-free. Thanks to all those who have donated so far!

Chris Hennes

Welcome to eG Forums v4... Again!

521 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Hmmm. Perhaps it was always thus.  I recall "today" and "yesterday" but I certainly don't recall it going back a whole week without an actual date attached to the post. Ah well. 

It was not always -- it's another "feature" of version 4.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

15 minutes ago, Chris Hennes said:

It was not always -- it's another "feature" of version 4.

Thanks. Hope there are not too many more "features".  The ability to link is now a piece of cake. It is a huge improvement over what we had before!   I guess that's a "feature" too. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Never call a stomach a tummy without good reason.” William Strunk Jr., The Elements of Style

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

33 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Thanks. Hope there are not too many more "features".  The ability to link is now a piece of cake. It is a huge improvement over what we had before!   I guess that's a "feature" too. 

For me, the immense increase in the useability of the mobile version of the site, particularly for posting from the kitchen while I'm cooking, was worth the few annoyances of the features I don't care for. The bugs... maybe not so much!

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

@Anna N, @Tri2Cook and @huiray -- I checked with our usual plugin developer and he doesn't think it's possible to create a "Cancel Post" button right now, but there is actually a non-sensically-named plugin for CKEditor that will at least clear the contents of the editor window when you go to create a new post. It's called "new page", and it looks like a blank sheet of paper. It should now be the first icon in your toolbar. Give it a go and let me know if it provides a solution.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

What happens to the previous text/quotes in the editor? Is it "retained' in some way for recall, if one knew how to?

If not, then the name of the plugin and the action it does is akin to drafting something on a paperpad, changing his mind and ripping off the (topmost) page to show a new page. (With the ripped-off page crumpled up into a ball and tossed into the Round File)(from which, if he changed his mind again, he could rummage around in amongst the many crumpled-up balls for that page which he had previously thrown away...does the editor allow that? :-) )

In any case I think it will work fine for "clearing the editor" IMO.

( I checked it with text, and both with and without a quote in the editing window)

Folks, I need your assistance diagnosing a strange intermittent issue. I know @huiray is experiencing this issue, and I'd like to know if it's more widespread. From time to time, the forums are serving pages that are not "logged in" -- that is, if you look in the upper right corner, it does not show you as logged in, even though you are. Navigating to a different page still shows you logged in, without asking you to sign in again. Is anyone else seeing this issue?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

@gfweb and @huiray, the issue with older attachments being scaled down should now be resolved and those attachments returned to their original size.

1 person likes this

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

12 minutes ago, Chris Hennes said:

@gfweb and @huiray, the issue with older attachments being scaled down should now be resolved and those attachments returned to their original size.

Chris, thank you.  Yes, I see they have been bumped back up to "full size".

Here's another oddity I noticed a short while ago.

On the "Lunch" topic the activity list shows this:

Screen Shot 2015-12-17 at 10.38.30 AM.png

But when one clicks on the "18 hours ago" under the "last poster's name" (blue_dolphin) one is taken to this:

Screen Shot 2015-12-17 at 10.39.21 AM.png

There is also no apparent indication of an edit having been made 18 hours ago (see screenshot of post) which would have accounted for it appearing in the activity list labeled as it is (according to the new features of the software)...

???

Edited by huiray (log)

This actually has nothing to do with the new software (at least, not directly). The Lunch topic hit its 20th page so was split... but something went wrong during the split and the new topic didn't get created. The posts are still sitting there in the database, but we have to manually get them reattached to the topic. Invision is helping us with this as I write this.

1 person likes this

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

2 hours ago, Chris Hennes said:

Folks, I need your assistance diagnosing a strange intermittent issue. I know @huiray is experiencing this issue, and I'd like to know if it's more widespread. From time to time, the forums are serving pages that are not "logged in" -- that is, if you look in the upper right corner, it does not show you as logged in, even though you are. Navigating to a different page still shows you logged in, without asking you to sign in again. Is anyone else seeing this issue?

I have yet to notice this.

this has not happened to me.

I use Safari, and the 'content you follow' is my home page, which I bookmarked after an initial log in then added that address to the Safari home page.

On 12/14/2015 at 11:42 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Not sure if it is related but often (but not always) when I click on "Go to first unread post", I am taken to the top of the page before the page that has the first unread post.  And this does not seem to have anything to do with post editing, I think.

Invision believes they have fixed this issue: please let me know if it recurs.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

error.jpg.07a925c0c14791d8cbc6ea27cc377d

Is there some reason why I get this almost every day from around 05.00 to 06:00 CST? Is the site backing up or cracking up?

It is 19:00 - 20:00 my time. Just finish dinner and settle down for a bit of browsing. Then get this. So frustrating. Sometimes, like tonight, it comes back online just after 06:00 CST, then disappears again after a few minutes. I wrote this, tried to post it at 06:00, then found the site was gone again. It didn't come back until 07:47.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

Is there a page where I can see all/more"recent forum images" ? They always pique my interest and I find myself reloading just to see more.

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

error.jpg.07a925c0c14791d8cbc6ea27cc377d

Is there some reason why I get this almost every day from around 05.00 to 06:00 CST? Is the site backing up or cracking up?

It is 19:00 - 20:00 my time. Just finish dinner and settle down for a bit of browsing. Then get this. So frustrating. Sometimes, like tonight, it comes back online just after 06:00 CST, then disappears again after a few minutes. I wrote this, tried to post it at 06:00, then found the site was gone again. It didn't come back until 07:47.

Yes - right now we're being very aggressive with our backup strategy. Once the system actually seems stable I'll stop that, but for the time being it's going to stay, we've lost enough posts in this upgrade. I'm sorry for the frustration.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

7 minutes ago, _john said:

Is there a page where I can see all/more"recent forum images" ? They always pique my interest and I find myself reloading just to see more.

There isn't, but it's an interesting idea. I might check with our developer to see what it would take to create such a thing.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

10 minutes ago, Chris Hennes said:

Yes - right now we're being very aggressive with our backup strategy. Once the system actually seems stable I'll stop that, but for the time being it's going to stay, we've lost enough posts in this upgrade. I'm sorry for the frustration.

No problem Chris. Just looking an explanation. Thanks!

Edited by liuzhou Removed unnecessary image (log)

1 hour ago, Chris Hennes said:

I don't know if it is possible but it might be better to change the error message to indicate that the site is offline while backing up rather than saying it is a technical error, which it isn't.

Is there some easy and foolproof way to use the quote function without repeating all of the photographs in the original post? 

1 person likes this

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Never call a stomach a tummy without good reason.” William Strunk Jr., The Elements of Style

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N -- Not that I am aware of. I've taken to often using @-mentions rather than quotes when I want to make sure it's clear who I am responding to (and to get their attention). 

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I usually simply "quote" a post, let it load in the editor (including the previous software version) then select and delete either the in-line photos or links-to-photos I don't want. One just needs to be careful about which photos (and text, as desired) are selected.

4 minutes ago, Chris Hennes said:

@huiray (and others who have noticed this) -- I think the Content I Posted In stream should now work correctly, give it a shot.

Just did. Looks good! Without analyzing/researching to see if every topic is listed it does look "complete", and certainly FAR better than even just yesterday! I left the properties of the stream at "Content items only" so that each "topic" appears only once when a new post has appeared in it. :-)  Switching my default stream over to this now...

May I ask if it is possible to describe in a basic way what made the stream compile incompletely before?

On 12/12/2015 at 9:54 PM, Chris Hennes said:

Upgrade Status Update

Somewhat hilariously, the process that went through and fixed all of the locations of the old images (which should now all be working) broke some of the images posted after the upgrade. I've filed a support ticket with Invision, so hold tight and we'll get those images displaying again. It's probably best if you don't go into the posts and try to edit them at this point.

Just wondering - any progress from Invision on this one?  :-)