• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Chris Hennes

Welcome to eG Forums v4... Again!

521 posts in this topic

I keep getting notifications of new replies (not only to this topic, but also to the Dinner topic) without being able to see them.  I'll be curious to see whether (or when) this turns up.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Yes, I have experienced abnormal behavior when posting as well. When I hit the Submit button, it popped me back to the top of the page. I hit the End key on my computer to go see what was going on with my post. My post was still there, but the Submit button was still there as well. I hit Submit again, and got popped to the top of page, End key again, and same thing. At this point I scrolled up saw two duplicate posts plus a third still ready to be submitted. I blanked out the third post, edited the second to just say "Duplicate post." and saved it. Then I backed out of the page and went back to check it. So yeah, be really careful about resubmitting posts.

My post is there, but does not show up in the new content index as unread material, and neither do other's new posts show up as unread when they actually are. I'm not asking for anything to be fixed right now, as I know it may take several more days to reindex the millions of posts here. I'm just sharing my experience so others don't have to bumble around in the dark like I was.

Also while reading or posting in a thread that has not been updated for new content, a helpful black message box pops up telling you that there are X new replies, go to last page. Do not click this. It just pops you to the top of the page you're on, you have to go find your place again, and a minute or so later the same helpful message box appears. This went on three or four times before I finally caught on. Just X out of the message box and it'll quit hassling you.

> ^ . . ^ <

Yes, I have experienced abnormal behavior when posting as well. When I hit the Submit button, it popped me back to the top of the page. I hit the End key on my computer to go see what was going on with my post. My post was still there, but the Submit button was still there as well. I hit Submit again, and got popped to the top of page, End key again, and same thing. At this point I scrolled up saw two duplicate posts plus a third still ready to be submitted. I blanked out the third post, edited the second to just say "Duplicate post." and saved it. Then I backed out of the page and went back to check it. So yeah, be really careful about resubmitting posts.

My post is there, but does not show up in the new content index as unread material, and neither do other's new posts show up as unread when they actually are. I'm not asking for anything to be fixed right now, as I know it may take several more days to reindex the millions of posts here. I'm just sharing my experience so others don't have to bumble around in the dark like I was.

Also while reading or posting in a thread that has not been updated for new content, a helpful black message box pops up telling you that there are X new replies, go to last page. Do not click this. It just pops you to the top of the page you're on, you have to go find your place again, and a minute or so later the same helpful message box appears. This went on three or four times before I finally caught on. Just X out of the message box and it'll quit hassling you.

> ^ . . ^ <

> ^ . . ^ <

> ^ . . ^ <

The site is unusable for me right now.  When I try to quote someone I don't get their text in the reply box, I get the text of a previous post I've quoted.  I see people's posts mentioned on the home page but they are missing when I go to the forum where they are supposed to be.

Also people's posts seem to be not showing up where they should.

I can't find any announcement of a reindexing of the site, but I infer one is taking place.  When is the site scheduled to be operational?

The site is unusable for me right now.  When I try to quote someone I don't get their text in the reply box, I get the text of a previous post I've quoted.  I see people's posts mentioned on the home page but they are missing when I go to the forum where they are supposed to be.

I can't find any announcement of a reindexing of the site, but I infer one is taking place.  When is the site scheduled to be operational?

Edit:  I keep getting an error "New posts within a short period of time frame are limited.  Please wait 1 seconds before submitting."  How long should one have to wait?

Edit:  I keep getting an error "New posts within a short period of time frame are limited.  Please wait 1 seconds before submitting."  How long should one have to wait?

4 hours ago, Shelby said:

I--and I think several other members--have posted on the dinner thread today but none of them are showing up.  I figure after the re-index is done that will fix the situation?

Where did post preview go?

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

Where did post preview go?

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

This is all a bit frustrating as nothing appears to be working properly! Let's see if this post shows up. I no longer am getting email notifications from subscribed threads. I get a window popping up saying I have 19 new replies to a thread of which they are all old and have been read. Even after removing the pop-up message, it re-appears. Threads that have received a new post are not marked as such and are not pushed to the top of the list to indicate a new post. The only thing that does not happen anymore is the error 500 message is now gone. I hope the "software wizards" are monitoring this page and notice there is a problem.

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

This is all a bit frustrating as nothing appears to be working properly! Let's see if this post shows up. I no longer am getting email notifications from subscribed threads. I get a window popping up saying I have 19 new replies to a thread of which they are all old and have been read. Even after removing the pop-up message, it re-appears. Threads that have received a new post are not marked as such and are not pushed to the top of the list to indicate a new post. The only thing that does not happen anymore is the error 500 message is now gone. I hope the "software wizards" are monitoring this page and notice there is a problem.

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Any possibility someone can give us an update on what is going on - and what we can expect in the way of 'getting back to at least 'normal' any time soon?  

Things are still wonky for me - though what is wonky does seem to vary. Most could probably be attributed to an ongoing 'indexing' issue most likely but this is 3 days on from when that 're-indexing' supposedly started and I see no alert of any kind to tell me that the indexing is still in progress.

Today, on this page, I get notices (in a black box at the bottom of the page) that there are 22+ new replies (though the thread doesn't appear at all on the 'new active content' page I usually view) and there is only one new reply I had not seen - Shelby's of (now) 12 hours ago. I was probably last on this page 12 1/2 hours ago. That's not all but since I am here, I am noting it.

Any possibility someone can give us an update on what is going on - and what we can expect in the way of 'getting back to at least 'normal' any time soon?  

Things are still wonky for me - though what is wonky does seem to vary. Most could probably be attributed to an ongoing 'indexing' issue most likely but this is 3 days on from when that 're-indexing' supposedly started and I see no alert of any kind to tell me that the indexing is still in progress.

Today, on this page, I get notices (in a black box at the bottom of the page) that there are 22+ new replies (though the thread doesn't appear at all on the 'new active content' page I usually view) and there is only one new reply I had not seen - Shelby's of (now) 12 hours ago. I was probably last on this page 12 1/2 hours ago. That's not all but since I am here, I am noting it.

Just got this message when I tried to post here:

[[Template forums/front/topics/topic is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Just got this message when I tried to post here:

[[Template forums/front/topics/topic is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]