• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Chris Hennes

Welcome to eG Forums v4... Again!

521 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

Still a problem with the images.  Eg in the Dinner thread from 12/5 there are some large format photos and others that had been large and now are thumbnails.

See https://forums.egullet.org/topic/152378-welcome-to-eg-forums-v4-again/?do=findComment&comment=2038682

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Yes, I was searching for alcatra.  The term was not found on the page returned by google search:

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/123876-cook-off-1-cassoulet/?page=6

As determined by the Windows Explorer find feature and my diligent reading of the page.

I see, it should have linked to page 7, since the result was really here. I'm not sure what's going on there.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

58 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I also see the spiralizer thread apparently out of order.  I think it's because when gfweb went back to edit the last post in that thread, 13 hrs after the original post, the system recognizes it internally as a new post and sorts the thread in the new content stream by that edit date.  I believe this only happens when it's the last, or most recent post in a thread that is edited.

But that's just a guess and I could be totally wrong :D!

@Kerry Beal, this is exactly what's happening. Pretty much everything here now sorts by "last edited time" rather than "last post time". It's a "feature", ya see?! ¬¬

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

5 hours ago, Chris Hennes said:

@Kerry Beal, this is exactly what's happening. Pretty much everything here now sorts by "last edited time" rather than "last post time". It's a "feature", ya see?! ¬¬

Ah - I see!

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2015 at 0:11 PM, Chris Hennes said:

I see, it should have linked to page 7, since the result was really here. I'm not sure what's going on there.

Not sure if it is related but often (but not always) when I click on "Go to first unread post", I am taken to the top of the page before the page that has the first unread post.  And this does not seem to have anything to do with post editing, I think.

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Not sure if it is related but often (but not always) when I click on "Go to first unread post", I am taken to the top of the page before the page that has the first unread post.  And this does not seem to have anything to do with post editing, I think.

Yes, this seems to be a very common problem, I've got Invision Support looking at it right now. Unfortunately, they think the fix is complicated, so it may take a few days.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Hi Chris, 

I was checking the sous vide index thread and unfortunately most of the links have disappeared and is now just appearing as text.  Is it just for me or are others having same problem? 

38 minutes ago, kosta said:

I was checking the sous vide index thread and unfortunately most of the links have disappeared and is now just appearing as text.  Is it just for me or are others having same problem? 

It's not just you: I'll report the bug to Invision, thanks.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

there is a bug on some threads that takes you to the second to the newest page, rather than to new contents i.e. clicking on the blue star

on the confections! thread, clicking on the blue star takes me to page 11, not 12 nor just to the new content on pp 12

33 minutes ago, rotuts said:

there is a bug on some threads that takes you to the second to the newest page, rather than to new contents i.e. clicking on the blue star

on the confections! thread, clicking on the blue star takes me to page 11, not 12 nor just to the new content on pp 12

See https://forums.egullet.org/topic/152378-welcome-to-eg-forums-v4-again/?do=findComment&comment=2038842

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

image.png

So I wanted to respond to this post (Above) but the reply space already contained thisimage.png

I have found on a number of occasions photographs but I chose not to load previously still in this reply space.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Never call a stomach a tummy without good reason.” William Strunk Jr., The Elements of Style

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna, that is a "feature" of the new editor: it remembers your last non-posted post. This protects you against internet glitches and/or accidentally navigating away from your reply, at the expense of having to delete the contents when you really meant to move away from it. I've toyed with the idea of having a "Cancel post" button added next to Submit Reply that would clear this out in the cases where you mean to discard it.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

1 minute ago, Chris Hennes said:

Anna, that is a "feature" of the new editor: it remembers your last non-posted post. This protects you against internet glitches and/or accidentally navigating away from your reply, at the expense of having to delete the contents when you really meant to move away from it. I've toyed with the idea of having a "Cancel post" button added next to Submit Reply that would clear this out in the cases where you mean to discard it.

I appreciate the reasoning for the feature but sometimes the user really does know what he or she is attempting and a "cancel"  button would not be such a bad idea.  It is always, I guess, a balancing act.  Carry-on.  Your efforts to improve the user interface are greatly appreciated  even if I am not always fully in agreement. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Never call a stomach a tummy without good reason.” William Strunk Jr., The Elements of Style

My 2004 eG Blog

I came here to ask exactly what Anna asked. A "cancel" button would be a very helpful feature if the software is going to "remember" everything that goes in the box that isn't posted. I quoted someone in order to reply to what they said, accidentally left the page while doing something else and on return, not knowing it would "remember", quoted them again. I thought maybe it was a glitch that it showed the quote twice so I refreshed the page and tried again. Now the text box is full of repeat quotes that I can't get rid of. I find that feature much more an annoyance than a help as is.

Edited because I typed "can" when I meant "can't"...

Edited by Tri2Cook Edited because I typed "can" when I meant "can't"... (log)

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

The trick to removing a quote is to move your mouse over it until the crosshairs appears in the upper left corner, click the crosshairs, then press "Delete".

2 people like this

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Thank you sir!

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Both of the above were covered on egdev. There was also some variation btw being able to simply delete an undesired quote and needing to call up the contextual submenu. The "backing over"/manual clearing/deletion of what is retained (and not-yet-posted) in the editor was also discussed, and the "cancel" button was brought up - I would like to reiterate my suggestion that it be implemented, with (as suggested on egdev) an intervening dialog box asking "Are You Sure?" before execution of the wiping of the editor.

I think a cancel button would be very helpful,  and Hiuray's suggestion of an intervening dialogue box asking "Are you sure" is a very good idea.

Edited by Arey (log)

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

Did something happen to the dates on the posts? Since December 3 seems only day is given and not the date. 

My 2004 eG Blog

5 hours ago, Anna N said:

Did something happen to the dates on the posts? Since December 3 seems only day is given and not the date. 

That's just the date display format Invision has chosen to use (at least, if I am understanding your question). It says things like "today", "yesterday", "Sunday", etc. When it's more than a week old it should show the actual date.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Status Update Re: Streams

Right now streams are not behaving correctly: they are returning only a subset of the results they should. Invision is looking into the issue, but I don't have an ETA on the fix. Believe me, I am as frustrated as you are!

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

On 12/13/2015 at 9:29 PM, huiray said:

The old images now all display as thumbnail-sized images in the posts themselves, at least on my browsers on an iMac on OS 10.10.5.  Is this the intended default?  Previously they were scaled to a larger display size within the posts.

This was a "feature" I didn't know about when we upgraded, but it turns out it can be fixed after the fact: so, the database is in the process of upgrading the size of those images, and should be done later today.

1 person likes this

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

5 hours ago, Chris Hennes said:

That's just the date display format Invision has chosen to use (at least, if I am understanding your question). It says things like "today", "yesterday", "Sunday", etc. When it's more than a week old it should show the actual date.

Hmmm. Perhaps it was always thus.  I recall "today" and "yesterday" but I certainly don't recall it going back a whole week without an actual date attached to the post. Ah well. 

My 2004 eG Blog