• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Truffles at Costco

rustwood

I was at my local Costco and saw a $20 package that I believe constisted of these two items:

http://www.amazon.com/Sabatino-Whole-Black-Summer-Truffles/dp/B00ARMIHJC/

http://www.amazon.com/Sabatino-North-America-Truffle-3-40-Ounce/dp/B002OI9U9I/

I don't think I have ever had a dish with even a hint of truffles in it so I know virtually nothing about them.  I have seen the $1000/lb black truffles at a local store so I can imagine that these are not at all the same thing.  I am hoping someone can tell me if these might be worth trying or if they are more of a gimmick than an inexpensive entry into the world of truffles.  Thanks in advance.

Just low grade truffles. I'm having a difficult time telling from the website if they're from Italy or Oregon. I think Italy but the one you showed being sold from a company in Oregon. My 2 cents...pass. The low grade ones just aren't worth it. HERE's the manufacturer's website.

Edited by gfron1 (log)
  • Like 2

I'm not entirely surprised. Like you mentioned, fresh truffle cost quite a bit, but I've seen canned/jarred truffle in a few different places in the $15 range. I never tried them, I think it would be too dissapointing after using fresh truffle.

• Like 1

Just low grade truffles. I'm having a difficult time telling from the website if they're from Italy or Oregon. I think Italy but the one you showed being sold from a company in Oregon. My 2 cents...pass. The low grade ones just aren't worth it. HERE's the manufacturer's website.

That website refers to the "infamous summer truffle".  Infamous? How about notorious? 

I'd say that truffle oil is infamous.

• Like 3

I have had both. It's like canned mushrooms, not really worth it. I'd rather wait til I can get fresh.

There appear to be several places to order fresh ones online. I haven't done that, so I won't recommend one.

Edited by Lisa Shock (log)
  • Like 1

I wouldn't waste money on truffle salt or jarred truffles (or truffle oil). Cheap (in a relative sense) for a reason. The aroma and aftertaste is just nasty. Even in applications where you think you'd be able to get away with a less-than-stellar example of a product -- e.g. roasting a chicken with some truffle under the skin, like in all those old Escoffier recipes. I'd advise waiting until you're at a restaurant some time and they offer to grate some decent truffle over your risotto. We're talking cheap liver paste versus foie gras here. You might have a similar starting point but the end products simply aren't comparable. 

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between