• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Christmas gifts received 2015

Darienne

On 12/23/2015 at 1:23 AM, liuzhou said:

Just taken delivery of a gift of Italian wine sent all the way to China.

wine2.jpg

Six of each. 30 bottles. Thank you!

Interesting to reflect that one can have wine delivered to China....but not Pennsylvania, USA

• Like 6

20 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Last night I was given a box of Kiwi fruit by my best friend. Love her to bits.

Not sure what I'm going to do with 26 of them, though.

This!

Well, it takes care of a couple of them, anyway.

• Like 1

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

this looks so unimpressive.   I should have taken a pic in its box :

Edwards Sausage.jpg

this is Edwards smoked sausage.  a 5 ;bs box.  

http://www.edwardsvaham.com/product/smoked-sausage-links/sausage

my sister sent me two boxes, 10 lbs.   Ill debag them and freeze them so they last   some might go in my Out-of-the-Brid stuffing

sausage is more personal in appeal than say, a Personal Beverage.   these are fantastic.  smokey  but not too much.  not vary fatty, firm.  a little heat, not too much.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, gfron1 said:

a big bottle of great tequila, a goofy book, and my great grandmother's cookie molds 

1451090239575-668445437.jpg

So, are you going to bake springerlies?

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

Two cookbooks: Lucky Peach 101 etc. and Zahav. 

Food/alcohol gifts: Australian soft black licorice, some excellent salted caramels w/dark chocolate made by my SIL and a lovely bottle of Moscato di Nonino grappa, which is really really yummy.  Where has that been all my life?

• Like 3

My sister was very good to me!

IMG_20151228_093540_760.jpg

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

We received this lovely inlaid bamboo salad/fruit/popcorn/whatever bowl, with matching salad "hands." Ms. Alex also scored a Vosges Milk Chocolate Mo's Bacon Bar.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

On 12/26/2015 at 10:27 AM, Maison Rustique said:

I got a Rancho Gordo clay pot!!

Ooh, I'm envious. Our RG bean order (not a present) arrived today!

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I am grateful for all that I received this year, but these two items made me smile the most.  The butter that my niece bought for me and brought from Syracuse, NY and the second is the Christmas decoration my brother in law gave me, which is a "likeness" of  a cat we adopted in the fall.  Love the people and the gifts.

20160102_170944.jpg

• Like 7

My sister, who as already sent me 10 lbs of Edwards smoked sausage, now sent me 12 lbs of Benton's thick cut bacon, the best Ive ever had.

568e6c86046dc_BentonsB.thumb.jpg.a907231

I wonder if she is trying to 'bump me off' , and I have not even bought that lottery ticket yet.

568e6cab70898_surprised.gif.7706d43bb740

• Like 13

indeed i have.

and I also have that lottery ticket 

700 + Mil

smiley-money-mouth.gif.de8e6d16c5df2df35

I can afford both the Edwards Sausage, and the Benton's bacon

both stunning products, indeed I genuinely mean that  and I think they give you Full Value +++

but ------

Cheeeep and frugal are not the same things.

• Like 1

This is what hubby gave me for Christmas.....  I've tried out every attachment so far!  Up until now, I had been using my (late) Mom's 1963 Sunbeam stand mixer. This is quite a bit more powerful to say the least!   =)

71fBOtH-QAL._SL1000_.jpg

• Like 12

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

A late but welcome Christmas gift.

56949e95594a7_BreakfastTea.jpg.3d87dac2c

These teabags contain Indian teas (Assam and Nilgiri blend) which have been exported to be packaged in England then shipped to the USA where my friend found them in her local supermarket and carried them all the way to China as a gift.

Well travelled tea.

• Like 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Humble additions this year via a Christmas check from my wonderful FIL: A hand-cranked nut chopper (choice inspired by posts in the I Say Nuts to Chopping Nuts. Anyone else? thread), 2 digital Thermoworks digital refrigerator thermometers and a Thermoworks digital Freezer thermometer/alarm.

Edited by Porthos (log)
  • Like 3

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;