• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Air drying whole chicken in the fridge for roasting

Josh71

I am thinking to do the ChefSteps Ultimate Roast Chicken:

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/ultimate-roast-chicken

But, I have some questions regarding air drying a whole chicken in the fridge.

My fridge is not big that I can hung a whole chicken, so I plan to simply put it in a tray, uncovered and place it inside the fridge.

Now, I am wondering if this would not cause any "problem" in the fridge? Like "smelly" or even "bacterial contamination".

Because, as per the instruction, I need to air dray for 3 days.

I have never left a raw chicken in the fridge, together with other ingredients over there :)

Anyone has done this before?

Please if you can share your experience :)

I do this all the time - for chicken, duck, turkey and goose. You'll be fine. 

Definitely place it on a rack - not just good for catching the juices, but also for maximum air circulation around the bird.

Btw, from my experience, salting the outside - a dry brine - is better than a wet brine. But I will admit I've never injected.

• Like 2

I do this all the time - for chicken, duck, turkey and goose. You'll be fine. 

Definitely place it on a rack - not just good for catching the juices, but also for maximum air circulation around the bird.

Btw, from my experience, salting the outside - a dry brine - is better than a wet brine. But I will admit I've never injected.

While I researched "dry brine", I ended up with this Serious Eats article:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/05/how-to-roast-a-chicken-butterflied-tips.html

I have read it before though. Now, I think I am going to do it that way and also "add" dry brine.

So,

- Butterfly the chicken

- Rub with salt (dry brine)

- Put inside fridge, on top of a wire-rack, uncovered for a day (air-drying)

If I air-dry for let say 3 days, would it be too salty because of the dry brine? Hmmm ...

• Like 1

I have dry-brined a chicken for three days in a fridge on a wire rack with a plate underneath and it was fine.  Not too salty at all.  It made for a very tasty chicken.  I would do it this way all the time if I had the foresight to prepare.  I usually don't though.  

• Like 2

FWIW,

I do believe that this process assumes you have a "frost free" fridge that has a circulating fan. Not sure how well it would work in an older fridge without a fan.

HC

It would work just fine.  That's how old manuals used to recommend meat be kept -- on a rack with a plate under, loose covering (if any) for air circulation.  

• Like 1

I do this all the time ... just this week with a turkey breast and about 2 weeks ago with half a capon. If you follow usual anti-contamination practice put it on the lowest shelf so IF there were to be any drips it would not get on any other foods.

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

One thing to add; I fashion a raised foil lip on my sheet pan before I put it in the fridge. It gives me a clean surface to touch and protects against accidental contact between the chicken and other things that may be moved around in its vicinity. 

• Like 1