• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need Ideas for a Pescatarian (or Vegetarian) Christmas Menu

jamesglu

A link popped up on my Facebook feed to Yotam Ottolenghi's vegetarian Christmas meal, which may hold some possibilities for you. Nothing about it screams specifically Christmas to me (says this nonreligious Jew) but it looks delicious!

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

A link popped up on my Facebook feed to Yotam Ottolenghi's vegetarian Christmas meal, which may hold some possibilities for you. Nothing about it screams specifically Christmas to me (says this nonreligious Jew) but it looks delicious!

Wow that vegetable platter might persuade me to convert....to vegetarian! I love roasted vegetables and that looks so colourful and festive.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Huiray, you got me! I have made sure that the agent and the guests know that we do not have a kosher kitchen, and apparently the guests can handle that (which leads me to conclude they may not be all that orthodox, especially since none of the images of the father--I google people too!--shows him wearing a yarmulke).

Lisa Shock, thanks for your reply. In case it was not clear, these are paying guests at my lodge, and I will be the one standing over the stove cooking, so there is no problem with proposing a solution that requires someone manning the stove while the guests eat.

Ok, then it's a good idea. I was imagining someone at home running ragged.

If you do make tempura, please try my favorite: parsley. You can use any type, just use sections that are a couple of inches long. It gets crispy and is very delicious.

Also, be warned that if you decide to tempura a brussels sprout, cut it in half. I made some small ones once and they shot out of the pan like bullets.

• Like 1

Ok, then it's a good idea. I was imagining someone at home running ragged.

If you do make tempura, please try my favorite: parsley. You can use any type, just use sections that are a couple of inches long. It gets crispy and is very delicious.

Also, be warned that if you decide to tempura a brussels sprout, cut it in half. I made some small ones once and they shot out of the pan like bullets.

Thanks, Lisa, but since it's summer here, Brussels sprouts are not an option.