• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bosch dishwasher smells bad - is this typical?

chris_s

I put in a kenmore elite (bosch) dishwasher about 2 years ago. I've noticed that anytime I put anything into it that isn't rinsed clear it just amplifies the smell when it's closed. Opening it is worse than walking into a mcdonalds, literally gag inducing and I have a pretty high tolerance for these things.

I've left it closed and empty after a wash, and it does not smell. So I don't think it's coming up from the trap. I've also verified the hoses are looped properly. 

So is this just normal behavior for a tightly insulated unit like this? My previous dishwashers (loud cheap units) never had this problem, and I'd throw just about anything into them unrinsed. I keep the filter clean. 

First:  I'm not sure I understand why you call your d/w a Bosch.  I have a Kenmore Elite and it's not related in any way to a Bosch, it's a completely different design.

Second:  Are you sure it was installed properly?

Third:  If it really is a Bosch, I understand that those do not have waste disposal built in and that there's a trap that must be cleaned out.  Do you have your owner's manual?

We have a Bosch Ascenta.  Three years old I think.  No problems.  Very quiet.  No smell ever (so far anyway).  I clean the trap regularly but seldom find anything.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

First:  I'm not sure I understand why you call your d/w a Bosch.  I have a Kenmore Elite and it's not related in any way to a Bosch, it's a completely different design.

Second:  Are you sure it was installed properly?

Third:  If it really is a Bosch, I understand that those do not have waste disposal built in and that there's a trap that must be cleaned out.  Do you have your owner's manual?

1) the sales guy said bosch makes this particular model for kenmore, and showed me an identical unit with a bosch badge on it. I assumed I'd get more hits on the thread by calling it bosch. Some googling indicates bosch makes some units for kenmore's elite line

2) instructions were followed carefully, and I've confirmed it again in troubleshooting

3) it has a filter at the drain, I clean it out regularly (as mentioned in original post)

One other thing I've noticed is it's heat retention; if I run a load in the evening, empty it, and close the door. The internals are still warm and steamy when I open it in the morning. This actually may relate to my smell issue. If the unit is so well sealed that heat/steam can't dissipate over 8-10 hours, then it stands to reason that if I put some dishes with pungent food particles into the dishwasher the smell can't dissipate over time either

Chris, first, you are right, Kenmore does not actually make appliances, they rebadge appliances made by another manufacturer -  similar to a private label.  Different models are made by different manufacturers, so one Kenmore model may be a rebadged Bosch, and another may be by Maytag.    Whether yours is a Bosch or not, I don't know.  Second, smells from dishwashers is a very common complaint. There is at least a few posts every month or so on gardenweb.  Here is a search I did, but you may want to do a more thorough search and include the Bosch name in the search and use odor instead of smell.   http://www.gardenweb.com/gardenweb/query/smell-dishwasher

Thanks for the dishwater site, Barrytm. I was so surprised reading about all the smell problems folks had. Asked DH, who installed the Bosch himself, whether he had used the "High Loop" technique which seemed to help some of the smell problems in the posts you sent us to. Yes, it's in the installation instructions to use this high loop technique, which he did, and therefore...no smell ever. Really. Who knew?

Good luck Chris_S.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

apparently there are a lot of people who think their bosch dishwashers smell! My bosch's drain pipe is permanently installed in a high loop in the case, I also put one in under the counter for good measure. As I mentioned, it doesn't ever smell when empty or clean, it just seems to concentrate whatever is on the dirty dishes in it. If you don't rinse off a bowl of garlic cream sauce before putting it in, you are in for it when you open the dishwasher a few hours later. 

I suspect this is just a product of the extreme sealing on these units, which is done for the quietness we all love. With my son bringing home lunch dishes from school every day now we are running the dishwasher daily so it's not as much an issue as it once was. 

thanks for the insight, everyone!