• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Winnipeg kitchen voted best in the world

Anna N

Apart from saying "hide' or "hidden" on average every 1.8 seconds, he comes out with "you can't burn yourself" on an induction cooker. You most certainly can. I'd bet he never cooks.

I gave up counting how many times he says "actually".

I bet it is very antagonistic to the principles of "Feng Shui" interior design. :cool:  Too many hostile edges and funeral related colors.

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)

Dibs on a place at Julia's table.  Her food was made with love.  The food from the sterile kitchen strikes me as something that would be cooked from a math equation.  I want caring, not chemistry.  I could plop down at her table in my oldest jeans and feel welcome.  The other ones looks like a lab coat, gloves and a hair net would be the only way to share a meal in that room.  Might even have to pass through an airlock to get in!

• Haha 1

• 5 years later...

Hmm...it's not my style. Right now, I am sitting in my kitchen with the wood cookstove going, and streams of light are coming in through huge windows. I'm watching the snow blow around and a grouse pick at apples from our apple tree, as soup bubbles away.

• Like 4

On 12/15/2020 at 3:15 PM, Violin_guy said:

Hmm...it's not my style. Right now, I am sitting in my kitchen with the wood cookstove going, and streams of light are coming in through huge windows. I'm watching the snow blow around and a grouse pick at apples from our apple tree, as soup bubbles away.

Whereabouts are you that it's snowing?  

9 hours ago, Violin_guy said:

Near Owen Sound.

Home of one of my favorite surplus stores since all the southern Ontario ones seem to have disappeared over the last few years.

On 11/29/2015 at 6:22 PM, dcarch said:

I like two things in that "kitchen"

The wood cutting board.

The wood "breakfast" table.

Everything else I would immediately demolish and renovate to make it into a real kitchen.

dcarch

I was surprised to see that slab of tropical wood. It's huanacastle (also parota, depending on where you live) from a magnificent tree that grows in the jungle along the coast. We have a dining room table from that wood. You can choose either a horizontal slab (round) or vertical, like in the photo. I'll bet our table cost a whole lot less than this one! Twenty thousand pesos, as I recall, which included the base and delivery from the coast. Less than $1,000 US at the time. Weighs a ton--took 6 guys to haul it up our stairs. We gave them good tips and beer.

That being said, I found the placement of the slab to be a little clunky. Not well integrated into the overall design. As if someone said, "We need something to warm up this space." I would have preferred to put the slab on the island rather than sticking it off to the side where it seems an afterthought. Does anyone cook in that kitchen? Somehow I don't think so. I'm with dcarch on this one--tear it out and make it into someplace you'd want to be.

• Like 1

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

3 hours ago, Violin_guy said:

Bibles for Missions? It's the best!

Actually the Deals Surplus - used to have another name. Though I do love Bibles for Missions everywhere I find them.