• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

'Bar Mops' at Amazon

rotuts

back way back when  there was a thread on Bar Mops

Ive decided to try one of these mentioned here :

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dgarden&field-keywords=bar+mops

probably a 24 pack

Im looking for absorbency 

Ill wash them and used them until they Give up the Ghost.

anyone try any of these ?

many thanks

Mine look like the ones under the Cotton Craft label. I checked on my towels to see if they had a label and they don't. They are 16" × 19" and came in a big package, possibly 24 or so. I got them at Costco and they were cheap. They also wear and wash well.

We got the ones in the middle and have been pretty pleased with them. They're durable; we're very hard on kitchen towels. They're not terribly absorbent, though, so if that's your first criterion, you'd probably do better with another choice.

thanks !

I am indeed looking for Absorbent

Im looking for Mops, decently if not more so absorbent

Id pay more  for a bit more if not a lot more absorbent

after all

I can't use 24 just at once !

thanks again.

Edited by rotuts (log)

Ive been getting these at Homedepot :

http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-Terry-Towels-20-Pack-7-620/203299415

they are not particularly absorbent, unless you use a bit of elbow grease.

I was looking for something a step up

based on JAZ's comments, the bar mops Ive found at amazon are probably the same thing

this is helpful, so thanks.

still looking for a 'bar-mop' thats absorbent, can go in the washing-macnhine .....

:sad:

Im wondering if I should 'move-up' and try these :

Liliane Collection Kitchen DishTowels

any thoughts on this sort of item ?

Edited by Smithy
Added Amazon-friendly link (log)

• 3 weeks later...

Ive finally gotten the Lillane Collection noted above.

I washed then and put them in the dryer.

they are an improvement over the HDepo ones noted above, so Ill keep them

they are not as absorbent as i would have liked.  and OK +, not an outstanding.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

as Ive mentioned , Ive been using these for about 1 1/2 years :

https://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Restaurant-Hotel-Dish-Cloth-Tea-Towels-Professional/dp/B00JCG1V42/ref=sr_1_4?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1474999055&sr=1-4&keywords=bar+mops

Ill rate them B- or so :  inexpensive  , clean up very well in cold water , generic liquid detergent  , and bleach,   color safe  and about 95 % of the kitchen stains are gone.

if there is an oily patch , I use Oxy-Clean gel and that comes right out.   I thought Id get some more , as I wash them all at once. they are not as absorbent as Id like , but price

etc  they were  :  B -

I found these in trolling the Amazon Bar Mop area :

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AGMKQS2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

these are larger , and made of much heavier fabric.   they are also close to  one-swipe absorbent.  they are color fast.

so far then , Ill give them an A -.   Red would have been nice.   but the blue is fine.

they also have a fabric band along one corner  that you can use to hang them up :

bar mop.jpg

I wish Id found them years ago.   as far as I can tell , they are lint free ( so far anyway ) .

a winner.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

r, where are these made?

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

no idea

you would have to search around at Amazon.

but the more I use them , the more perfect they are for me as Mops.

I washed w bleach the lot , hung them out to dry on a clothesline I have .

in the winter Ill use the dryer.  the nap might get fluffier     but I love them.

every time I use these Im very impressed.

Ill use the others for other Kitchen Cleaning projects   Cabinets    Stove top etc.

Amazon didn't say, but I just saw the info in one of the reviewer's pictures. It's made in Pakistan.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

• 2 years later...

After trying several different brands and styles of towels, we've been disappointed with all of them. They've all started out reasonably absorbent, but after washing with a little bleach, they become less and less so (as I mentioned above, we're really hard on towels). Finally, we tried a more expensive brand -- Gryeer Microfiber Kitchen Towels. So far, they've been amazing. For instance, I placed a wet sieve on one, and it wicked away all the water in the mesh pretty much instantly.  And after use, they dry out quickly, so there's no worry about mildew. They're more expensive than the other towels we've tried and they need a bit more care in the wash cycle, but so far, they're worth the money and effort. We reserve them for drying hands and dishes, and use cheap cotton bar mops for spills and cleaning, and as potholders.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@JAZ

thank you

I use the ones I mentioned for 

cotton bar mops for spills '

various micro fiber items Ive treeid

have not worked 0ut well , so me.

thanks for pouting out that micro fibers do not do so well w heat.

Ill look into your suggesting next time i '

Pony Up.

I really want to dry my counter and stuff like that.